how to approach asking for more hours

pink_sugar

I started off at my job as a very part time employee. 20 hours or less. When my other job ended last fall, I was able to work 30 hours, the max they allowed. They told me I had potential for full time and was supposed to take over for someone else for full time. That didn't pan out, but they gave me new job duties that they're said is my ticket to full time a few months back. I haven't heard anything since. Ever since then, they keep piling on more and more job duties to the point I am having trouble finishing tasks on time. I know this wouldn't be a problem if I had 35-40 hours per week. I am so stressed and tired each day that this feels like a 40 hour workweek...but it's all in a 30 hour workweek. I have had to have change due dates around, because I just cannot complete everything in a 6 hour workday. I am very close to telling my boss I need more working hours now to complete projects in a timely manner. How would I go about doing that without showing my frustration? This really should be an 8-5 job with everything I am doing.

Edited by pink_sugar
loveweary11

Assuming you do an excellent job and your work is high quality, same as in relationships... just tell the boss what you need.

Cite real examples where you missed a deadline due to being forced to stop working.

DO show your frustration in that you want to do more... a better job, buy can't because the company isn't letting you.

• Like 1