Things are getting better

tuxedo cat

I just wanted to update anyone who has followed my journey since moving to NY a year and a half ago. For a long time I was unable to find and sustain work in my field within the entertainment industry. My difficulties have stemmed from a combination of my own problems (ADHD, forgetfulness, anxiety) and falling in with a series of fairytale-crazy bosses.

A few months ago I started working regularly with a woman who was completely different from the personality disordered individuals I had encountered elsewhere in the city. She is normal and really nice and easy to work with. I still struggle with details and there are days when I doubt whether she likes me, maybe because it's hard to fathom that any boss could after some of the criticism I've received, but overall she treats me very well and seems to really value my contributions. I feel so lucky to have found a place where I can learn without being nitpicked and demeaned at every step of the way. She is so good at what she does, and I've already learned a lot just by observing how she handles clients and talks to people. Also, she is well-connected in the industry and is constantly hooking people up with jobs, so I know my relationship with her will be a lucrative investment towards my future.

After my first internship I was told by many people (not here) to give up on my dreams because I didn't have what it takes to make it in this industry. Despite being seriously discouraged, I decided to persist on this path because I realized that despite my disadvantages, I have something unique to contribute and not everyone has to fit the same mold in order to succeed.

Of course, my journey has just begun and I will encounter many setbacks along the way, but it's nice to feel like I'm finally doing something right.

Edited by tuxedo cat
  • Like 3