This is a bit long...

I've been working at this company for 3 years and 8 months. There have been quite a few changes in our department, the major one being hiring a new team leader. She's a very nice person, but inspite of her being all friendly, she seems very rigid when it comes to promotion/increase in salary...with me at least.

In the last 3 years or so, I've managed to handle work of 3 people by myself. At times I've felt overwhelmed, but because I like what I do, I didn't mind it. I've never complained. Big mistake. My TL thinks I'm handling it fine, hence no increase in salary. I've brought it up a few times in our meetings, but she starts telling me how other companies out there work. Before she came on, I was progressing quite well. My previous team leaders have been very happy with me and I've gotten a raise of about 10k since I joined. But ever since she came (last year), I've been having problems with her. I was pretty happy with our company and department because we were so laid back and cool about everything. Since she came, everything has changed.

The major thing that bothers me is that there's no chance of growth anymore because of my TL. I've started losing interest in my work, but because I resist big changes in life, I'm somewhat hesitant in quitting. I don't know how long it'll take me to find a new job, whether I'd like it there or not, etc. The good thing about working here is that I'm comfortable with the surroundings and people.

I'll be getting married some time next year, so I'm wondering if I should stick around till then (I'll be relocating to another country), or if I should just try to find a new job right now. I've no interest in my job anymore, though it was a 'dream job' for me when I first started. It's been a passion, which is now fading because of a few reasons. I've become very depressed lately. Even the thought of waking up in the morning to go to work makes me sick!

What to do?

Is there anyone else at the company in a supervisor or management position who knows how hard you work and would go to bat for you? Maybe your team leader's boss or just another team leader? If you really love it where you work, then don't give up without a fight. Go to someone else to let them know your feelings. Maybe ask for a transfer? If all else fails, then start looking elsewhere while you bide your time.

As a general rule, if you're not happy at work, you're not going to be a productive worker. That's when the problems start.

Before you jump to conclusions, though, I might find out why you're not getting that raise. It could be that there's a legitimate reason for it. A lot of companies are going through restructuring right now in light of the leaner economic times. Maybe she's on a tight budget and doesn't feel she's got the same flexibility your predecessors had. Then again, maybe not. Either way, I'd find out. It may help clarify some things.

• Author

See, I was ok with it at first cuz she told me there's a tight budget and whatnot. But just recently I found out a co-worker of mine (who happens to be a really good friend of her) got a raise... a BIG one. That's what ticked me off.

She admits I've been doing a lot of work. But instead of giving me a raise for all my hard work, she suggests to take it away from me (to lessen my work load), and to give to an ex-coworker (a very very close friend of her who used to work with her at her old company) who has started working freelance for us. That just makes me even more mad. I know it's not really any of my business how much he makes, but what he makes working on a single project is pretty close to how much I make bi-weekly working one project after another. On top of that she has the nerve to say that she doesn't want to outsource our print projects to another ex-coworker who has recently started working freelance for us (who happens to be a really good friend of mine) 'cuz it costs a lot. Ugh, I hate hypocrits.

I talked to one of my previous team leaders about her, but the way our company works, you're pretty much stuck if you don't agree with a TL. My TL found out I had talked to someone else about her and she was really upset, but she asked me to talk to her directly and if I think i deserve a raise, she'll be happy to do it. Since then I've asked her 2 or 3 times, but her answer remained "NO". Instead she gave me a $100 gift certificate to make up for not getting a raise, which felt like slap in the face. Haha!

I guess I'll start looking for a new job. I'm just not sure if I should stick around for a few more months till I get married, or if I should do it asap.

Thanks for you feedback everyone!

why should she give you a promotion or more money when she already knows you will be leaving after you get married??

Did you actually tell them you're relocating after marriage? That is dumb. You NEVER do that.

Well, then, it's a classic case of your co-worker having the right connections, leaving you a little hung out to dry. Unfortunately, that's the way business works a lot of times. Senior personnel often bring in people they know they can work with, which isn't a slight to you necessarily - it's just easier for her because they've developed a bond and understanding. Maybe it's not fair, but that's reality.

Yes, it sounds like it's time to move on. By all means, leave on amicable terms and try to hide your frustration as much as possible.

Originally posted by amerikajin

Yes, it sounds like it's time to move on. By all means, leave on amicable terms and try to hide your frustration as much as possible.

I don't think it is time for her to move on at all. She should stay where she is cause job mkt is not that good right now and plus, she'll be leaving next yr anyways.

• Author

alphamale, I haven't told anyone I'm leaving. I don't think it would even cross their mind that I'd be leaving anytime soon cuz everyone knows how much I enjoy (or at least enjoyed) my work.

amerikajin, it's the same guy (the one getting all the projects) who brought in this TL, for obvious reasons as you've mentioned. Damn it. I should've known. Not that I could've done anything about it, but at least I'd be mentally prepared. *sigh

I actually agree with Alphamale on this one! :eek:

If you are DEFINITELY leaving the country in 6-8 months, you are crazy to leave your job. Just hang in there until it is time to move on. Nothing looks worse on a resume than being at a job for less than a year.

Also, if you are moving internationally, you NEED the stability of that job leading you up to your move. Seriously, six months is nothing. I urge you to hang in there.

Keep us updated.

Femme, I too agree with Alphamale. Six months is nothing, you have much bigger things ahead. Just ride it out, collect your pay, then go home and leave the day behind.

We can do anything for a day that we don't have to do for the rest of our life!

Good Luck.

• Author

Thanks guys! I've been feeling this way from time to time, but because I know I won't be here too long, I've been trying to cope with it. It's just that sometimes it really gets to me and I start wondering if it's even worth it to stick around.

I'm just counting down to Christmas...two whole weeks off! Hopefully things will be a little clearer by January in terms of when I'll be moving. Then I'll have something to look forward to. *grins*

You're right, Alpha. I didn't read the part about her leaving next year, in which case she should indeed just hang in there until she's ready to leave.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with almost everyone -- STAY at the job right now. It could take 6-9 months just to GET another job. Plus, even if you do, you may find that the job is not the right fit and you will miss your old one. I'm about to right my story on this in another thread, where I left a job I was not happy with and went to one that was EVEN WORSE! grrrrrrrrr