What is "Proper Etiquette" For Getting Your Boss a Gift For the Holidays?

I'm just wondering what is considered "proper ettiquette" as far as getting your boss/bosses gifts for the holidays. I started working for the company I am at now for 7, almost 8 months now. This is my first full-time job after graduating college. And yes, I would like to eventually move up in the company sometime soon if they are willing. I have several bosses. One, CEO, the rest are VP's of different departments, and of course, my supervisor who's title is "Executive Assistant/Office Manager". Am I supposed to get them a present for the holidays or not? If so, should I go big (I have little to spend)??

People have told me it is proper etiquette for the boss to get me something. I have heard this from many people. But to be honest, regardless of whether he'd get me a gift (and the other employees some), I doubt he would do this. It's not that he's a mean man of any sort, he is always very busy or traveling, and so are most of the VP's.

What should I do? I don't want to make a bad impression with this company. :(

LucreziaBorgia

I've always just gotten my bosses nice holiday cards. I think as long as it is a tasteful gift that isn't too personal or expensive then you will be doing ok.

I have worked at my job for over two years now, and my boss and I have become pretty good friends. So, yes, my boss and I exchange gifts- but they are still small. (Maybe a book- sometimes used, bookmarks, we'll eat lunch out or make something like a photo album or journal.)

I'm not sure how well you know your bosses (or what the "proper" etiquette is) but since you have many to buy for, and don't know what to expect, maybe you could buy thoughtful cards with wishes to their whole families- and include a small box of chocolate from a local store or something.

• Author

I think that's a good idea. Just get everyone a thoughtful card and a token.

I am open for more ideas if anyone has them... :bunny:

• 5 weeks later...

This is too late but you can maybe save it for future reference. My boss is a big wine drinker, so we (small group of his employees) typically buy him a bottle of wine for Christmas. This year, we gave him a gift cert. to a local liquor/wine store as well as some coasters and a wine topper. He was overjoyed! I'd suggest finding out what he likes (wine, books, jazz cd's for example) and revolve your gift around that. Each person in our group typically donates $10 to the cause. We get a nice card and everyone signs it. I never think it hurts to give your boss a gift, especially if you like him/her. A little recognition at holiday time goes a long, long way. Trust me.