Looking into going to college in the accounting field. Good idea or bad idea?

For some of the regulars here, you may have remembered that I was considering going back to college but was concerned about the high number of people out there who has college degrees and yet is working at low-end jobs like Walmart, Target, and Starbucks while being stuck with that massive college loan debt.

That scares me a lot and, as a result, I didn't rush into attending college like the most of my peers when I was in my low-20s.

Now I am 28 and I would love to just leave my current job at Walmart. It is not a "bad" job but it is stressful there and both the employees and the customers knows that all too well. Not to mention I have to stand on my feet all shift and, while I am capable of it, I do prefer an office job with a chair.

With my strong love for mathematics and me catching interest in the accounting class I took during high school, I have been looking back into the accounting field again. I noticed there is a lot of room for growth within companies for accounting, the average starting salary isn't bad (it is at least 3 times what I would get from Walmart right now if 30-35k a year is correct at this day and age) and I can easily advance past that with higher degrees and more work experience, both that I am sure I am capable of.

But my main concern is whether or not entry-level accounting jobs is even available enough to reliably land one. Is that field really producing so many capable graduates that it would be difficult to land one after I get, at the least, my bachelor's degree? After all, I got that college debt to look forward to and I rather not wait 10 more years to pay it off.

Any other advice concerning this field is certainly appreciated. I am considering starting around the end of this year or the beginning of next year if I do decide to go all in and start college.

The Accounting field as a whole is a great choice... they have been experiencing great growth in the last few years and even more is projected throughout the next decade.

However, I wouldn't bother unless you are willing to go the whole way and get a Bachelor's degree. A class or two, or even an AA is not going to do you any good... vast majority of entry level accounting jobs expect a Bachelor's degree.

This pretty much holds true for most professional fields (except technical). Even a brand new (entry level) doctor or lawyer must have the minimum education.

• Like 1

The STARTING salary for an accountant is not 3x what you currently earn. It's about 1.5 times (~ $50,000) IF you are at the top of your class & land a good job.

I would go to school at the most cost effective college you can find but look into what kind of tuition reimbursement or assistance your current employer provides. I know they have a program. Then start talking to your store manager & eventually the regional managers who drop by about the fact that you are studying & interested in using your degree for WalMart. You might have a better "in" to corporate because you are a current store employee.

• Author
The STARTING salary for an accountant is not 3x what you currently earn. It's about 1.5 times (~ $50,000) IF you are at the top of your class & land a good job.

I would go to school at the most cost effective college you can find but look into what kind of tuition reimbursement or assistance your current employer provides. I know they have a program. Then start talking to your store manager & eventually the regional managers who drop by about the fact that you are studying & interested in using your degree for WalMart. You might have a better "in" to corporate because you are a current store employee.

The reason why I said it was 3x what I get now is because I am making a little less than 1k a month at Walmart right now. That would equal to a little less than 11,000 a year.

If the average starting salary for entry-level accountants is around 30-33k a year, that would be almost 3 times as well what I get right now.

That would be a high enough increase in pay to justify taking on that college debt if I were to go.

The only thing that is scaring me is whether or not the jobs is even available. I am sure they are if you are willing to prove that you are the best of the best but that can be applied to basically any job in any profession.....and I am sure I won't be one of those kinds of people when I get my Bachelor's.

• Author
The Accounting field as a whole is a great choice... they have been experiencing great growth in the last few years and even more is projected throughout the next decade.

However, I wouldn't bother unless you are willing to go the whole way and get a Bachelor's degree. A class or two, or even an AA is not going to do you any good... vast majority of entry level accounting jobs expect a Bachelor's degree.

This pretty much holds true for most professional fields (except technical). Even a brand new (entry level) doctor or lawyer must have the minimum education.

Honestly, I am not surprised that I would need to get a Bachelor's. But that is fine with me. I am sure there is so much to study and learn that I can't blame them for requesting that much from new people within the field especially if it will give me an advantage over other job seekers.

If the average starting salary for entry-level accountants is around 30-33k a year, that would be almost 3 times as well what I get right now.

I mis-understood. I thought you were making $30-35k now & thinking starting salary for an accountant was 3x that.

Getting an education for a practical skill like accounting -- as opposed to my liberal arts degree -- is a good idea.

Do your research. Check out what the most cost effective school is. Do not rule out an on-line degree. Seriously, look at what WalMart offers employee / students. Also Starbucks just started a program. If it pays for part of college, I'd be a barrista & I hate coffee.

Caveat: I don't live in the US, so things might be very different there.

What I have heard from friends who work as accountants/auditors, is that the real barrier to being an accountant is the certification exam, similar to the bar exam for law. Any old joe can get an accounting degree, but it means nothing and you will not be employed as an accountant until and unless you succeed in passing the certification exams.

I would strongly suggest you find a way to talk to people who are actually working as accountants and see what they say. If you look hard enough there are often local forums or career groups that have meetups for students to ask the professionals questions.

What I have heard from friends who work as accountants/auditors, is that the real barrier to being an accountant is the certification exam, similar to the bar exam for law. Any old joe can get an accounting degree, but it means nothing and you will not be employed as an accountant until and unless you succeed in passing the certification exams.

I would strongly suggest you find a way to talk to people who are actually working as accountants and see what they say. If you look hard enough there are often local forums or career groups that have meetups for students to ask the professionals questions.

This is a little different in the US.

You CAN hold an Accounting job with a Bachelor's degree. Hell, you need no degree at all if you have the skills, but the vast majority of employers will want you to have one for obvious reasons.

There are, however, a few accounting-related certifications such as CPA (Certified Public Accountant) that definitely require further education and passing of exams. These are not required, however. They are just a step further that he can choose to take in order to further his career.

I have always understood that passing the CPA exam enhances one's earning potential.

OP you may want to research that exam to make sure you know how to pass it before you start paying expensive tuition bills.

I have always understood that passing the CPA exam enhances one's earning potential.

OP you may want to research that exam to make sure you know how to pass it before you start paying expensive tuition bills.

That's just ONE path he can take. There are many, many others!

He could also become an CGA (certified general accountant), an CIA (certified internal auditor) an CFE (certified fraud examiner), and so on and so forth...

They all start the same way, though: an accounting degree!

• Author

The little research I have did so far on this shows that it is more varied than this. I have read about the exam and it is not required but, to me, it might as well be since I can't see me not passing a test in my chosen field of work.

That just gives me another taste of failure and, frankly, I am sick of that.

Besides, if I want to build a strong family, I will need as much money as possible and passing that exam will help in that matter so I am certainly not going to run away from it.

This is a little different in the US.

You CAN hold an Accounting job with a Bachelor's degree. Hell, you need no degree at all if you have the skills, but the vast majority of employers will want you to have one for obvious reasons.

There are, however, a few accounting-related certifications such as CPA (Certified Public Accountant) that definitely require further education and passing of exams. These are not required, however. They are just a step further that he can choose to take in order to further his career.

The CPA certification is basically the test Emilia mentioned about and I definitely want to take and pass the exam since the earning potential increases as a result of it.

Basically, what Arabella has said matches up with what I have discovered via the internet so far. I just need to find focused accounting forums and see if there is any material I can study beforehand so I can get a quick head start. I tend to do better understanding the material on my own than it is for a professor to teach it to me.

Oh, you don't have to tell me twice. Besides, I want to pass it just so I know I am not some low-based failure like everyone else thought I would be.

That's just ONE path he can take. There are many, many others!

He could also become an CGA (certified general accountant), an CIA (certified internal auditor) an CFE (certified fraud examiner), and so on and so forth...

They all start the same way, though: an accounting degree!

This is one of the many reasons why I got such a renewed interest in the profession. Not to mention I had interest in it since high school and I was basically self-taught when I took that class.

With the high importance of math (which I am good at), good pay, a lot of room for advancement, and a profession that would always be needed, I don't think I need to look any further. I just need to pull it off and I am confident enough to do that.

At least I got more confidence passing college than I am attracting women....:o

Not to mention I need a job with a comfy chair being there all of the time, which is another sweet perk to the profession.

Just a quick note...You keep mentioning math as being important for accounting, but I'd say that's probably not as important as you think.

Your math in accounting is pretty much always automated. You will use spreadsheets and/or software all the time and they take care of most of the calculations. So long as you can do the basic operations and understand algebra (which you will by the time you finish ANY college degree), you're all set.

I found that attention to detail, patience and ability to focus for long periods of time were quintessential and not everyone has those.

If your love is math, you might find finance to be more a personally rewarding field, and you can make just as much (and probably more) money than accounting.

Your math in accounting is pretty much always automated.

True but I wouldn't trust any accountant who couldn't "do the math" without the computer. :cool:

optomistic_nonsense

Hi there :)

I live in the U.S. and work in the accounting field. I work downtown and my starting pay was around $37k. I am not a CPA though. I have a Bachelor's degree in Business and that's what it took for me to get this position, so as you can see it wasn't even a solid Bachelor's degree specifically in accounting. I think you will find that the accounting field as a whole is extremely broad, at least from my point of view, with many many opportunities. As far as what I've seen over the past 3 years in the field, having very strong skils with Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Access is a huge selling point when interviewing. I know employers here that would hire someone with Excel and Access skills without a fancy degree over someone who DID have a fancier degree with no Excel and/or Access skills.

Best of luck to you!

• Like 2
sweetjasmine

I don't know much about the field of accounting, but as far as school goes, take donnivain's advice and see if your employer has any programs.

If they don't, check out community colleges in your area. The ones I've lived near all have agreements with 4 year state schools that grant you automatic admission into the 4 year state school once you successfully complete the first two years at the community college. Going to a CC will save you a ton of money, and with your current pay and situation, you should qualify for assistance and scholarships. You may also be able to start off with one or two classes on a schedule that will let you continue to work and earn money as you get used to being back in school.

I recommend talking to an admissions counselor at a community college. They can help guide you through the process. It IS possible to get a degree without saddling yourself with a ton of debt, but you have to be proactive about researching your options and you have to talk to people who can help you figure out what you're eligible for.

One last word, avoid private for-profit schools AT ALL COSTS. Rule of thumb: if they're advertising on TV and aren't a public school, don't even consider them. The only schools besides public community colleges that ever advertize are the ones who are there to take your money and leave you hanging.

• Like 4
For some of the regulars here, you may have remembered that I was considering going back to college but was concerned about the high number of people out there who has college degrees and yet is working at low-end jobs like Walmart, Target, and Starbucks while being stuck with that massive college loan debt.

That scares me a lot and, as a result, I didn't rush into attending college like the most of my peers when I was in my low-20s.

Now I am 28 and I would love to just leave my current job at Walmart. It is not a "bad" job but it is stressful there and both the employees and the customers knows that all too well. Not to mention I have to stand on my feet all shift and, while I am capable of it, I do prefer an office job with a chair.

With my strong love for mathematics and me catching interest in the accounting class I took during high school, I have been looking back into the accounting field again. I noticed there is a lot of room for growth within companies for accounting, the average starting salary isn't bad (it is at least 3 times what I would get from Walmart right now if 30-35k a year is correct at this day and age) and I can easily advance past that with higher degrees and more work experience, both that I am sure I am capable of.

But my main concern is whether or not entry-level accounting jobs is even available enough to reliably land one. Is that field really producing so many capable graduates that it would be difficult to land one after I get, at the least, my bachelor's degree? After all, I got that college debt to look forward to and I rather not wait 10 more years to pay it off.

Any other advice concerning this field is certainly appreciated. I am considering starting around the end of this year or the beginning of next year if I do decide to go all in and start college.

Hi there,

I have been working in public accounting for a little over two years. Before that, I worked as an Internal Auditor for over 6 yrs. I'm a CPA, CIA (Certified Internal Auditor), and CFE (Certified Fraud Examiner). (Just to show that I do know a thing or two about the accounting industry, not intend to brag)

Accounting is more than just math. It is "the language of business". There are a lot of jobs in accounting, ranging from A/R, A/P, Payroll, general ledger, to financial reporting, audit (both internal and external). It depends on what you like to do.

Most accounting jobs that require a bachelor usually offer $35K+. Have you heard of public accounting firms (i.e the Big 4 like PwC, Deloitte, E&Y, KPMG?). Those big public accounting firms (big 4 and 2nd tiers) usually offer $55K+ to start in Florida. No, you don't have to be a CPA to start working as an accountant. In fact, just because you pass the CPA exam (which has 4 parts), you will not be licensed until you have at least 1 year of accounting experience under the supervision of a CPA. The CPA exam is one of the hardest professional exams, not a walk in the park. I did a quick research and here is the link to the FL State Board of Accountancy.

CPA - Licensure

It looks like you will need more than a bachelor prior to siting for the CPA exam. (Your state requires at least 150 credit hours).

If you think accounting is your calling, I'd suggest that you:

1. Check with your employer to see if they offer tuition assistance.

2. Research and apply for scholarships. I do know there are quite a few scholarships for accounting students.

3. Be careful what classes you take at a CC or online (if you want to go the CPA route) as your State Board may not allow a lot of accounting online classes to be counted toward your CPA required hours.

4. Start networking with people who are accountants

Hope this helps!

• Like 2

Just to quote Arabella on a couple of things..

Just a quick note...You keep mentioning math as being important for accounting, but I'd say that's probably not as important as you think.

Your math in accounting is pretty much always automated. You will use spreadsheets and/or software all the time and they take care of most of the calculations. So long as you can do the basic operations and understand algebra (which you will by the time you finish ANY college degree), you're all set.

Much as Donnivain reiterated here you do need to be able to actually do the maths, eg percentages, uplift and margins are all essentials to know.

Plus the difference between a credit and debit and double accounting - those are the basics which you need in your head no matter whether things are automated.

I found that attention to detail, patience and ability to focus for long periods of time were quintessential and not everyone has those.

I agree! 100% essentials you mentioned here. Ability to carry on and not give up is also core to accountancy.

Plus, I have to add that analysis of data is crucial so you need to jump in and learn a business pretty quickly in order to be able to do that.

Many accounting tasks are rote and paperwork/legality based and require someone who knows and makes a point to know all the rules of the business and what the various laws are also.

Basically if you are a terrier (as in the dog - I will explain...) and have the determination to dig that hold because you smell a rat 20000 feet away and this is the only hole in the dirt you can find..then you will be good at accounts.

You have to be one to not ignore when you see something strange also - don't ignore and because it looks tricky hope it will go away - investigate and find out what the business is doing and why.

Why don't you work and do the degree at the same time though? Many many people do this and the benefit is that you are gaining experience as you go which makes it easier to learn as it is then relevant to your day job. Many companies will also sponsor you if you prove yourself to be a good and willing employee.

You don't 'need' a degree to get into an accounts role and to be honest if you learn some basics (you could do some evening classes initially for the basics) you could get into a role that earns more than you currently do with sponsorship for your qualifications and which will also furnish you with the experience you need through your studies.

If you do got for an accounting role then do be prepared for long hours sometimes - it's the nature of the job and us accountants don't get overtime pay.

The little research I have did so far on this shows that it is more varied than this. I have read about the exam and it is not required but, to me, it might as well be since I can't see me not passing a test in my chosen field of work.

That just gives me another taste of failure and, frankly, I am sick of that.

Besides, if I want to build a strong family, I will need as much money as possible and passing that exam will help in that matter so I am certainly not going to run away from it.

The CPA certification is basically the test Emilia mentioned about and I definitely want to take and pass the exam since the earning potential increases as a result of it.

Basically, what Arabella has said matches up with what I have discovered via the internet so far. I just need to find focused accounting forums and see if there is any material I can study beforehand so I can get a quick head start. I tend to do better understanding the material on my own than it is for a professor to teach it to me.

Oh, you don't have to tell me twice. Besides, I want to pass it just so I know I am not some low-based failure like everyone else thought I would be.

This is one of the many reasons why I got such a renewed interest in the profession. Not to mention I had interest in it since high school and I was basically self-taught when I took that class.

With the high importance of math (which I am good at), good pay, a lot of room for advancement, and a profession that would always be needed, I don't think I need to look any further. I just need to pull it off and I am confident enough to do that.

At least I got more confidence passing college than I am attracting women....:o

Not to mention I need a job with a comfy chair being there all of the time, which is another sweet perk to the profession.

Since you mentioned you're good at math, did you take calculus when you were in high school? Why accounting and not other majors that require higher math like engineering, computer science or math? Those majors have higher return on investment than accounting.

There are quite a few accounting forums out there. Two of the sites I would recommend are Going Concern and https://www.reddit.com/r/all/search?q=accounting

You can choose to have a job or a career in accounting. If you want a career, you will need more than a bachelor's degree.

Again, the CPA exam is NOT easy. It was quite a humbling experience for me. Study materials for the darn exam is not cheap either. We are talking about several hundred dollars to $3,000. In addition, you will have to pay close to $1,000 to sit for all 4 parts. Yes, there is at least one site that offers "free" online material but good luck passing the exam without purchasing books from other sources.

Go to CPA Exam Review Forum for stories of CPA candidates.

• Author
Hi there :)

I live in the U.S. and work in the accounting field. I work downtown and my starting pay was around $37k. I am not a CPA though. I have a Bachelor's degree in Business and that's what it took for me to get this position, so as you can see it wasn't even a solid Bachelor's degree specifically in accounting. I think you will find that the accounting field as a whole is extremely broad, at least from my point of view, with many many opportunities. As far as what I've seen over the past 3 years in the field, having very strong skils with Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Access is a huge selling point when interviewing. I know employers here that would hire someone with Excel and Access skills without a fancy degree over someone who DID have a fancier degree with no Excel and/or Access skills.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks for the tip. I never had Microsoft Excel or Access for a long time and I don't even think I ever heard of Microsoft Access before.

I will have to start looking for it and see what I can learn from it. Something tells me I can use it for more than work-related purposes. Most resources these days typically do.

I don't know much about the field of accounting, but as far as school goes, take donnivain's advice and see if your employer has any programs.

If they don't, check out community colleges in your area. The ones I've lived near all have agreements with 4 year state schools that grant you automatic admission into the 4 year state school once you successfully complete the first two years at the community college. Going to a CC will save you a ton of money, and with your current pay and situation, you should qualify for assistance and scholarships. You may also be able to start off with one or two classes on a schedule that will let you continue to work and earn money as you get used to being back in school.

I recommend talking to an admissions counselor at a community college. They can help guide you through the process. It IS possible to get a degree without saddling yourself with a ton of debt, but you have to be proactive about researching your options and you have to talk to people who can help you figure out what you're eligible for.

One last word, avoid private for-profit schools AT ALL COSTS. Rule of thumb: if they're advertising on TV and aren't a public school, don't even consider them. The only schools besides public community colleges that ever advertize are the ones who are there to take your money and leave you hanging.

That is indeed very valuable information. In fact, I may be able to do just that tomorrow after work tonight since between the times of me going to my work out at 11 AM and getting to the card shop for a tournament at 6 PM, I have time in between to go to my local community college (FSCJ) and see what they can tell me as well.

Also, I may get some assistance to help move out from Walmart and I also remember that a counselor told me I can also qualify for college assistance as well. I just found the papers I need to call them again so I may do just that when I go back to work tonight.

Seems like my schedule keeps getting fuller and fuller by the minute.

Hi there,

I have been working in public accounting for a little over two years. Before that, I worked as an Internal Auditor for over 6 yrs. I'm a CPA, CIA (Certified Internal Auditor), and CFE (Certified Fraud Examiner). (Just to show that I do know a thing or two about the accounting industry, not intend to brag)

Accounting is more than just math. It is "the language of business". There are a lot of jobs in accounting, ranging from A/R, A/P, Payroll, general ledger, to financial reporting, audit (both internal and external). It depends on what you like to do.

Most accounting jobs that require a bachelor usually offer $35K+. Have you heard of public accounting firms (i.e the Big 4 like PwC, Deloitte, E&Y, KPMG?). Those big public accounting firms (big 4 and 2nd tiers) usually offer $55K+ to start in Florida. No, you don't have to be a CPA to start working as an accountant. In fact, just because you pass the CPA exam (which has 4 parts), you will not be licensed until you have at least 1 year of accounting experience under the supervision of a CPA. The CPA exam is one of the hardest professional exams, not a walk in the park. I did a quick research and here is the link to the FL State Board of Accountancy.

CPA - Licensure

It looks like you will need more than a bachelor prior to siting for the CPA exam. (Your state requires at least 150 credit hours).

If you think accounting is your calling, I'd suggest that you:

1. Check with your employer to see if they offer tuition assistance.

2. Research and apply for scholarships. I do know there are quite a few scholarships for accounting students.

3. Be careful what classes you take at a CC or online (if you want to go the CPA route) as your State Board may not allow a lot of accounting online classes to be counted toward your CPA required hours.

4. Start networking with people who are accountants

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the information. I do appreciate that.

I may not have mentioned this before but, right now, one of my "hobbies" (if you can call it that) is trying to understand how to make money by opening up a minor business. While I hasn't did that exactly (as in opening up an actual business), I did take my hand at trying to sell the product I am aiming at on eBay. While it is nothing to brag about, I am a Power Seller and a Top-Rated Seller on eBay as of right now.

I know that I got a LONG way to go but, as you may see, I have interest in understanding how a business operates and, if accounting is more based on learning business rather than mastering the use of mathematics, then that is fine since I want to learn that to begin with.

The more, the merrier.

Once again, thank you. This thread has been a lot more helpful than I realize.

Just to quote Arabella on a couple of things..

Much as Donnivain reiterated here you do need to be able to actually do the maths, eg percentages, uplift and margins are all essentials to know.

Plus the difference between a credit and debit and double accounting - those are the basics which you need in your head no matter whether things are automated.

I agree! 100% essentials you mentioned here. Ability to carry on and not give up is also core to accountancy.

Plus, I have to add that analysis of data is crucial so you need to jump in and learn a business pretty quickly in order to be able to do that.

Many accounting tasks are rote and paperwork/legality based and require someone who knows and makes a point to know all the rules of the business and what the various laws are also.

Basically if you are a terrier (as in the dog - I will explain...) and have the determination to dig that hold because you smell a rat 20000 feet away and this is the only hole in the dirt you can find..then you will be good at accounts.

You have to be one to not ignore when you see something strange also - don't ignore and because it looks tricky hope it will go away - investigate and find out what the business is doing and why.

Why don't you work and do the degree at the same time though? Many many people do this and the benefit is that you are gaining experience as you go which makes it easier to learn as it is then relevant to your day job. Many companies will also sponsor you if you prove yourself to be a good and willing employee.

You don't 'need' a degree to get into an accounts role and to be honest if you learn some basics (you could do some evening classes initially for the basics) you could get into a role that earns more than you currently do with sponsorship for your qualifications and which will also furnish you with the experience you need through your studies.

If you do got for an accounting role then do be prepared for long hours sometimes - it's the nature of the job and us accountants don't get overtime pay.

While my high school accounting class was relatively easy, that is one thing I did notice when I was working on a packet: the ability to pay attention to detail and notice when something is off.

One packet I did, I slowly worked through it like it was just another puzzle....but when I got to the end, I noticed the end result didn't match. I did something wrong. I went back and looked long and hard to find the error before I found it and corrected it.

Needless to say, I pass that class with flying colors. I wish I could find more packets like that (because that was fun) but I would have to relearn everything since that was at least 10 years ago. I am basically a newbie again.

It was challenging, that's for sure, but I actually liked it. It has been a long time before I did anything that require me to just sit there and think. Understanding the limits of a business and applying that to my accounting work will only make it even more interesting for me.

As of right now, I do plan to work and go to college at the same time. I am not going to let go of my current overnight job at Walmart but if I do find one to acquire work experience along the way while I am in college, then I would go for that job instead since I doubt I can handle 2 jobs AND college at the same time.

I will have to look around and see if I can find some evening classes to learn the basics but that may be a bit challenging since I initially work overnight as of right now. However, I do work a set schedule of Saturday to Tuesday night so if I can find a set of overnight classes that can do Wednesday to Friday night, I should be able to pull it off.

My lord, this thread has provided a lot of information. I have to say that I do believe accounting is my calling at the end. It gives me an office job with a chair (which I may need as I get older), the ability to be challenged (something I miss quite a lot these days), to learn all of the various laws that is out there and even understanding the details of how a business is being ran. With the many options available and the option of advancing my education to go with it, it is hard not to get a little excited about the prospects.

I will give you all an update after work tonight and my short trip to FSCJ to see what I can find out concerning scholarships and other possible routes. I almost can't wait to get into the thick of it.

Well that's what I was trying to get across... anyone who gets a Bachelor's of Science (not Arts) is going to be able to do those things and much more because of the math classes required to obtain the degree :)

And credit, debit and double accounting? Heh, they cover that and much more in the very first accounting class he will take.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make is that Accounting isn't really about math, and by the time he finishes the degree, he'll have plenty of mathematical ability anyways.

• Author
Since you mentioned you're good at math, did you take calculus when you were in high school? Why accounting and not other majors that require higher math like engineering, computer science or math? Those majors have higher return on investment than accounting.

There are quite a few accounting forums out there. Two of the sites I would recommend are Going Concern and https://www.reddit.com/r/all/search?q=accounting

You can choose to have a job or a career in accounting. If you want a career, you will need more than a bachelor's degree.

Again, the CPA exam is NOT easy. It was quite a humbling experience for me. Study materials for the darn exam is not cheap either. We are talking about several hundred dollars to $3,000. In addition, you will have to pay close to $1,000 to sit for all 4 parts. Yes, there is at least one site that offers "free" online material but good luck passing the exam without purchasing books from other sources.

Go to CPA Exam Review Forum for stories of CPA candidates.

I had a chance to take calculus back in high school but I slacked off on my Algebra 2 Honors class in my junior year and wasn't eligble to take the class.

That was completely my fault. I didn't put enough effort into it and that was a shame because math is my top subject. I failed my senior English class though because reading and understand what I read is much harder to me than toying with numbers but I have no business not taking calculus during high school. I am too bright in the subject to let that opportunity pass away.

I am aware that I need more college education than just a Bachelor's if I want a career, which is fine because I actually want that higher college education anyway.

I am sure the CPA exam is insanely difficult and I will keep that in mind. As for the costs, that is something I simply need to prepare myself for in the long run since if I were to get an entry-level accounting job, the costs shouldn't be much of a factor provided I cover my other expenses properly.

You have my word that this is not going to be taken lightly. I can't screw this up.

As for the suggestions about other careers, while they may give me a higher return on my investment, I am more concerned with finding a career that I actually like and not the amount of money I can make doing it. As long as the room to grow and the pay is good, I am happy. I rather be happy and get paid less than get rich and be miserable doing something I ultimately don't want to do, especially as a career.

Good idea...my brother in law got a Bachelors in Psychology, went back to school for a MS in Accounting...got a job right out of school. Good pay and demanding field. I believe you might need to acquire the CPA license prior to graduation. This degree, if you stick with it and graduate is worth the loans. Otherwise you can take one course at a time while working and pay for some yourself.

Edited by pink_sugar

As someone who moved into the Accounting field at the age of 29, let me add a few things:

It is very possible to get a job in accounting WITHOUT a bachelor's degree and having just an associate's. But you need to know the different career paths within Accounting to better understand how to access the area you would like to get into.

If you are looking to become a CPA, then you are absolutely going to need a Bachelor's in Accounting, not just because of the credit requirement, but because a lot of the material in all four exams will be covered throughout the time you take your college courses. Bear in mind, it's not just about a college credit requirement, but there is also a timing requirement needed in order to achieve this. Read about it, you'll understand once you inform yourself.

Now, it is VERY possible to get an entry level position within the private sector with just an Associate's, but know that it'll probably be an Accounting Clerk or a Bookkeeper person which is a lot more clerical. I "cheated" in the fact that I actually have a Bachelor's in IT AND an Associate's in Accounting, so in most cases, they look at the combination of both even though I do not possess a Bachelor's in Accounting.

I am NOT interested in obtaining my CPA, because I knew that by the time I'd meet all my requirements for the exams, I'd be long past the auditing crap, the Big 4 crap, the long hours, etc, etc, etc...

Do I make substantially less? Probably. But that is by design.

My entire career path will strictly be through the private sector and I am quite happy this way. My ultimate goal is to become the CFO of a company. I started as an Accounting Clerk, worked my way to Junior Accountant, Staff Accountant, Senior Accountant... so on and so forth.

About the math. I am a whiz at math and was doing long division before calculators. Being good at math doesn't necessarily make you a brilliant accountant, but understanding the concepts of it definitely helps. I'd say learn Excel. Learn it, live it, love it. I don't know how much is used in the public sector, but VLOOKUPs, pivot tables, formulas, etc, etc, etc are KING.

My company consistently is looking for people who know Excel or are easily adaptable with computer programs. It's an absolute must.

Also, final piece of advice, if you can volunteer some time at an office, even if it's a Saturday, do it. Intern somewhere. Whatever you need to do, do it.

Before landing my very first job, I actually volunteered to shadow a bookkeeper at a hotel in order to learn some basics. Fortunately, I got my job the same week the hotel had said yes. It never hurts to ask. And look up different type of accounting jobs in your area. And remember, not every accountant is a CPA, but if your ultimate goal is money, it'll definitely help.

• Like 1