Should you really never accept a counter offer?

Say you generally like where you work and want to remain there due to good coworkers, enjoyable work, short commute etc. But, at the end of the day, it IS about the money, which just hasn't been forthcoming at this job. Yes, I have asked for raises, and always get the runaround.

At the same time, I know they will probably give me the raise if I give my 2 weeks.

Everything i have read on the internet says to never accept this "counter offer" for reasons that I admit do make sense. And yet I feel this is otherwise a really good job that I would prefer to retain.

Would I really be wrong to accept any counter offer the give? I get to keep the job I otherwise like, and get the raise as well. We're very busy and I'm productive so I don't see them axing me 6 months after the raise.

Moving isn't an option right now, and I hate the thought of having to commute for hours a day to another job, but I will if I don't get a raise.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

In my industry employees routinely leverage other employer's job offers to get a better deal where they currently work and it works because, well, if they don't get it they leave and take the higher paying job at the other employer, sometimes the same employer they've worked at two or three times prior during their work life.

The key is always making good on any promises, whether that be regarding work product or leaving if they attempt to call what they think is your bluff.

I handle customers the same way. It's a brutal business and people are always trying to get rich of off someone else's back, whether that be an employee or vendor or customer. Look out for yourself, do deals straight and everyone else can take care of themselves.

Turn to the next page for 'team player' :D That doesn't exist in my business.

• Like 1

Like carhill said, having another offer in hand would be your leverage to a raise. If you are valuable and they know you could potentially leave, it is a good shot of getting a raise. But you have to be willing to leave if they say they can't give you the raise. Because if you stay, they will see the bluff and a raise will never come again, since they now know you will stay despite not getting a raise.

• Like 1

You have to be careful calling bluffs because you never know when upper management just got informed they need to get their payroll down. As long as you know for sure the status of the company is very healthy and they don't have a history of looking for excuses to fire employees who make the most money, then it's less risk, but it's still a risk. If you have to accept a counter-offer, ask for something in return, such as extra paid vacation or flexible hours.

• Like 1

Well, you have to make a list of pros and cons and if the lack of money is the ONLY reason you want to move on, you should consider their offer and most importantly, get the offer in writing before turning down another offer. That is the key, so they don't back out.