How do I get my first job in IT?

I graduated with my Management Information Systems degree in December and I'm still looking for work. I've been on about five interviews since then, but I'm always told that a candidate with more relevant experience has been chosen over me. These were all entry level positions that didn't require experience.

Basically it's the good 'ole catch 22, you can't get a job without experience and can't get experience without a job.

Yes I know I should have had an IT job while in college or an internship, but for reasons I don't want to get into, I didn't and I regret that.

I'm applying for jobs that have titles like Junior Network Admin, PC Tech and Helpdesk as they are what I feel I am qualified for now.

Moving forward what can I do now?

Recruiting agencies are useless as I have never actually received an email reply from any one that I contacted.

I've been told that I should look into volunteering, but I don't know where to look to find anywhere I can volunteer and do something that is actually related to the work I want to do. All I'm finding are things like "Teach seniors basic computer use."

Right now all I'm doing is looking for jobs and studying for my A+ certification.

In the meantime I need to have a job just to pay bills but I honestly don't know how to look for a basic job or what I should even be looking for.

Don't email a recruiting agency. Have your stuff in hand, get dressed and walk thru their door. Same goes for temp agencies. Hit up every one in existence.

• Like 5

you up to date on the latest technology? if so you want to stress this. take ANY job that comes along, this is not the time to pick and choose.

• Like 5
  • Author
Don't email a recruiting agency. Have your stuff in hand, get dressed and walk thru their door. Same goes for temp agencies. Hit up every one in existence.

Does that make the difference?

I called one asking to meet with a recruiter and she told me to email her my resume. Then I never heard back from her :rolleyes:

If I do just show up, what would I say?

Also any idea of what kind of non IT work I should be looking for?

• Like 1
  • Author
you up to date on the latest technology? if so you want to stress this. take ANY job that comes along, this is not the time to pick and choose.

Up to date on the latest technology is kind of vague.

I know of lots of various technologies used in the business world but I don't have any experience using them. For example I know how to manage a windows domain but I've never actually done it. There are also technologies that I can only be proficient with while actually working. I pretty much know a broad overview.

What do you mean by any job that comes along?

What do you mean by any job that comes along?

any job that is related to IT. don't worry about closeness to work or pay rate or what you would be doing. just take the job for experience

• Like 2

'Any job' means stocking shelves overnight at Walmart, flipping burgers, or working the sales floor at Best Buy. All would leave you free during the day to interview.

And yes, I would imagine walking thru the door of a temp agency and showing initiative and enthusiasm would help.

• Like 6
  • Author
any job that is related to IT. don't worry about closeness to work or pay rate or what you would be doing. just take the job for experience

Of course. I don't care about the pay at all. I'd work for minimum wage just to get experience.

At this point I'm looking into volunteering just to get experience.

Just curious, how can one live in one of the most expensive places in the US such as SoCal and not have a job?

Anyway, I'd say get a job...any job just to make some money. Then, when you have something coming in, look at the type of jobs that you want. Look at online job boards such as Dice and Indeed. Does your school provide any sort of job placement or introduction to recruiters?

Find IT companies in your area and try to see if they have any entry level jobs.

Good luck.

• Like 3

Basically it's the good 'ole catch 22, you can't get a job without experience and can't get experience without a job.

Yes I know I should have had an IT job while in college or an internship, but for reasons I don't want to get into, I didn't and I regret that.

From what I've seen, usually what people do is do some form of internship while studying or during summer or just after they graduate while they still have some savings left. In your case, now that you have boxed yourself into this corner, you might need to consider doing an internship while juggling a weekend job (anything - even non IT related) to help with the bills. Some internships are paid, so you might luck out if you find one.

And your university might have a list of 'graduate' positions available, at least mine does. Those are typically low-pay positions that are even lower than 'junior' positions, and usually aimed at grads with no or minimal experience. Have you talked to the career office?

Also you need to reduce your bills to the bare minimum, move in with mom or dad if possible.

Edited by Elswyth
  • Like 5
autumnnight

Another good idea may be to sign up on freelance sites. There are a handful of really good sites where you can take freelance or contract jobs, and that will give you experience. In a couple of days when I can PM again, PM me and I'll give you the links.

• Author
Just curious, how can one live in one of the most expensive places in the US such as SoCal and not have a job?

Loan from my parents.

Anyway, I'd say get a job...any job just to make some money.

That's what I'm thinking about doing. But even then how do I get "just a job?" What should I be looking for?

Then, when you have something coming in, look at the type of jobs that you want. Look at online job boards such as Dice and Indeed.

That's what I've been doing. I've applied to a lot of jobs through Dice, Indeed, Nacenet, and my school's own job board. That's how I got a few interviews.

Does your school provide any sort of job placement or introduction to recruiters?

Unfortunately no.

The school hosts a job fair every semester, that I went to and had nobody hiring entry level IT :( They also have advisers on how to look for jobs. As well as giving advice on resume and interviews. Basically the school preps you and then you're on your own.

Find IT companies in your area and try to see if they have any entry level jobs.

Good luck.

Thanks

• Author
From what I've seen, usually what people do is do some form of internship while studying or during summer or just after they graduate while they still have some savings left. In your case, now that you have boxed yourself into this corner, you might need to consider doing an internship while juggling a weekend job (anything - even non IT related) to help with the bills. Some internships are paid, so you might luck out if you find one.

And your university might have a list of 'graduate' positions available, at least mine does. Those are typically low-pay positions that are even lower than 'junior' positions, and usually aimed at grads with no or minimal experience. Have you talked to the career office?

Also you need to reduce your bills to the bare minimum, move in with mom or dad if possible.

Baring something extravagant happening soon, I'll have to move in with my mom, since she doesn't even have a steady place what's going to happen at the end of the month will be a mystery. Moving in with my dad will require me to relocate 8 hours away and too a place where rent is even more expensive than SoCal.

I've tried to find IT internships in my area but there is really nothing now outside of summer. Every now and then I find one and apply to it, and I never hear back.

Unfortunately a non-IT part time job is pointless as it won't be enough for me to make rent. Though I would be ok if I had a part time IT job and something else part time to cover my expenses.

No, there isn't any sort of graduate positions and the career center doesn't help with getting jobs working at the school.

Do you have a car?

If it is relatively new, you can be a driver for Uber or Lyft.

Go apply for jobs at restaurants, grocery stores and convenience stores near you. How about retail stores? What about at UPS warehouse by you? I hear they make good money.

Look on Craigslist for job openings.

I am of the opinion that once you get something coming in, it will be a big boost psychologically. Additionally, you are gain some experience even though it may not be IT experience.

• Like 5

somedude81, first, you're totally wrong that recruiting agencies are useless. You need to connect with recruiting agencies by calling the recruiters. Send them your resume. Post your resume on LinkedIn, and Monster, for starters; as IT recruiters look for IT candidates there. (I should know, I did some freelance work for an IT company as their IT coordinator. It was my job to find IT guys for different jobs.)

So do these 2 things: 1) post your IT resume online EVERYWHERE 2) call IT recruiting agencies, tell them you're job hunting and want to come in for an interview. Bring in a paper copy of your resume and also email them a copy.

And join a few temp agencies. There are a lot of temp agencies that have an IT recruiter too. Aerotek, for one, has an IT dept.,. They are a nationwide employment agency. Find the Aerotek office in your city and call them up and speak to an IT recruiter who you can email your resume to. Then you'll be asked to come in and register with them, etc.

Baring something extravagant happening soon, I'll have to move in with my mom, since she doesn't even have a steady place what's going to happen at the end of the month will be a mystery. Moving in with my dad will require me to relocate 8 hours away and too a place where rent is even more expensive than SoCal.

I've tried to find IT internships in my area but there is really nothing now outside of summer. Every now and then I find one and apply to it, and I never hear back.

Unfortunately a non-IT part time job is pointless as it won't be enough for me to make rent. Though I would be ok if I had a part time IT job and something else part time to cover my expenses.

I agree, internships are far easier to find in the summer.

Perhaps you would have to work just any non related full-time job first while living with your mom and while you keep applying for IT jobs to try your luck. Then next summer you will have some savings to tide you over during your internship even if it is unpaid, and after that more doors will be open to you.

No, there isn't any sort of graduate positions and the career center doesn't help with getting jobs working at the school.

Hm, I think there might be a difference in terminology here. I didn't mean working at the school - I meant jobs that explicitly state that they take fresh grads. Usually they advertise through universities, because they produce the fresh grads. They might be called something else in the US, but what I meant was that your career centre might have a list of jobs available from OTHER companies that liaise with them.

I work for a regional fast food chain. We have two people in IT. One is the director and the other is a Jr who also goes to school. You can work anywhere and do IT. Doesn't need to be the tech industry. Apply everywhere with an IT dept. Most have them.

• Like 3

Lots of good advice here. While it's fine to prioritize IT job opportunities, you need to find a job - ANY job - that can help you pay the bills. Even if the job is outside of IT, it may still help you get your feet wet in the corporate world. In other words, it's still experience and exposure. Perhaps you'll learn a transferable job skill that can be an asset in your eventual IT job(s). For example, a public-facing job in the service industry can improve your people skills, which may then help you land an eventual IT Help Desk job and perform it well. And like pink_sugar said, IT pretty much exists in every industry these days...computers, internet, email, software applications are used in 99% of companies; therefore somebody needs to install, maintain, manage and troubleshoot them.

And definitely get your resume on Dice. And polish up your LinkedIn profile (it may be good to highlight any specific accomplishments on there)...if there's a particular subject within your MIS major that you feel you're very good at, maybe a former classmate/TA/professor could write a recommendation on your profile (although some employers forbid employees to write LI recs).

Look for freelance and/or volunteer opportunities. Not only for experience, but they will also look good on your resume/portfolio.

Look for Meetups, alumni groups or other groups that cater to IT, ideally to your particular specialties within IT (IT is very broad), such as network/systems administration. Attend their social events and network with the people there. This is general career advice, BTW.

Job-hunting can be a "full time job" in of itself, especially for folks who aren't already employed.

• Like 4
Job-hunting can be a "full time job" in of itself, especially for folks who aren't already employed.

This right here is key. Trying to find a job has to be your new full time job. That means putting away video games, outside activity, dating, all of that.

When I was trying to land the job I recently got, there were very few posting for the actual position in my area. At best I was only able to send out maybe 20 applications overall, in the span of several month.

So I took the cold sales approach. I found a directory with a list of people all in the field I was aiming to work at, and sent out my resume and mini-cover letter emails. I did close to 1000 emails in total, and it was one of those cold e-mail that got me the phone interview which eventually lead through several series of other interviews to getting offered the position.

I've never heard of "dice" before, but it is an IT job center type deal, than yes abuse it.

• Like 4
organizedchaos

Yes, finding a job while unemployed IS a full time job. Treat it as such.

It's tough to find a job, we have told you it would be. I'm in technology, not IT, but I can tell you, the best way to get a job, is to know somebody. It's how I've gotten every job I've ever had. And when I'm hiring, if there are two candidates equally qualified, I'll go with the one who was recommended over the complete stranger nearly every time.

• Like 3

Work experience at a big company? What sort of IT job do you want?

To be honest, everyone that I know in IT had an interest in nerding before going to work. They were into tinkering, programing and troubleshooting. So that is what gave them the leg up for entry level sys admin roles. Can you invest some time in playing around with the platforms that are commonly used? or open source variations to develop some skills.

Given you have few hands on practical skills, not much in the way of work experience and if you come across in interviews as wanting a job, any job - your CV isn't going to be of much interest. So you need to start plugging some gaps and I would start with hard skills that are needed to do the job,

• Like 1
  • Author

My focus in IT is network administration, PC troubleshooting, Windows installation, PC hardware etc. Pretty much all of it is low level stuff and things that I'm able to play with on my own time. The skills I have left to learn can only really be learned on the job. And the companies all want somebody to already have those skills. Nobody is willing to train.

I have lots of retail experience but there is very little skills that cross over between retail and corporate IT.

As somebody else mentioned, virtually every company has an IT department. So should I just be sending resumes to everybody that has an office around me?

If I can't get a full-time job I'll have to move in with my mom how lives about an hour away. So right now I'm reluctant in trying to find a basic part-time job because I'm not going to have an hour commute to be a bagger at Vons. Though if/when I do move with her, I can look for part-time work in that area. Odds are I'll do it just to get out of the house.

The recruiting industry really puzzles me. I see that they post post jobs on indeed.com and on their own websites. And when I apply to those jobs and send them a resume, I hear absolutely nothing back. This has happened with Kelly, Robert Half and Addecco. That's why I'm not that motivated to make the drive to an office and hope they can find me a job.

• Like 1

The recruiting industry really puzzles me. I see that they post post jobs on indeed.com and on their own websites. And when I apply to those jobs and send them a resume, I hear absolutely nothing back. This has happened with Kelly, Robert Half and Addecco. That's why I'm not that motivated to make the drive to an office and hope they can find me a job.

I don't know what to say if you're not motivated to get in your car. What about your online app/resume sets you apart from the thousands of others they get every day? How often are you resubmitting? Sometimes the pesty one eventually gets swatted, if you know what I mean? Are you following up with phone calls?

Is there not a Vonn's near you so you could at least have something coming in? Then you could transfer to a store near your mom.

Actually, all I'm hearing now are excuses.

• Like 1
organizedchaos
My focus in IT is network administration, PC troubleshooting, Windows installation, PC hardware etc. Pretty much all of it is low level stuff and things that I'm able to play with on my own time. The skills I have left to learn can only really be learned on the job. And the companies all want somebody to already have those skills. Nobody is willing to train.

I have lots of retail experience but there is very little skills that cross over between retail and corporate IT.

As somebody else mentioned, virtually every company has an IT department. So should I just be sending resumes to everybody that has an office around me?

If I can't get a full-time job I'll have to move in with my mom how lives about an hour away. So right now I'm reluctant in trying to find a basic part-time job because I'm not going to have an hour commute to be a bagger at Vons. Though if/when I do move with her, I can look for part-time work in that area. Odds are I'll do it just to get out of the house.

Yes! I can't believe you're not already doing that. What kinds of companies are you targeting?

Are you using LinkedIn? Connecting with everyone you know who might be connected to an hr person in a company with an opening? THATS how you get your foot in the door.

Have you tried cybercoders.com?

• Like 2