Too many hours?

My son just started his first job as a checker at a local grocery store. When he was hired, they said he would be getting very little hours. However, his 2nd week in he worked 25 hours and this week he is working 30 hours! I saw the schedule and everyone else only gets 5-20 hours.

Normally this would be good news, but he is still in high school and I worry he'll fall behind in his classes and band if he continues to work so much. (He is taking dual credit and AP courses, which aren't easy.) Another part of me wants him to suck it up, as this is preparing him for college life in the fall.

Is 30 hours average these days for a high school senior or should he say something? If so, how should he approach it without sounding negative or ungrateful for this job? He still want to work, but was expecting less than 20 hours a week.

My first job at 16 was at a grocer. It's a very demanding field. When I started, I worked full time during the holiday season. If the amount of hours of work your son works is a big issue, I would find a job that is less demanding. Library, bookstore etc. 5-10 hours in the grocery business is unheard of. I usually worked 25-30 hours a week and yes my grades did slip a bit. Did he give his school availability? Perhaps he should tighten up his availability so they cannot schedule him as much. I remember being scheduled sometimes even while I was in school! You can try asking for 20-25 hours at max, but don't be surprised if they ignore his request. A lot of grocers want open availability and don't care about your school schedule. He might have to be prepared to quit if they don't lessen his hours.

• Like 1

I think 30 is excessive for someone who wants to focus on school. There is a difference, also, between what you are able to work when you're just wanting to pass your classes, and what you are able to work when you're wanting to ace them (assuming you also plan on sleeping a reasonable amount and maintaining decent health). I don't know what the importance of grades in high school is where you live, but if his grades would significantly impact his future, then perhaps it would be good to advise him to scale down his work hours. There is little purpose in getting an extra $100 a week if it compromises your future, especially if your survival doesn't really hinge on that extra $100.

• Like 1

School has to come 1st. 30 hours every week is far too many for a high school kid. It may even be bordering on violations of child labor laws. Look them up for your state.

• Like 2

First off, his age will dictate the hours he is allowed to work. Look at your state and local laws on minors. Many have laws around how late, how many in a day/week, etc.

If that isn't an issue, he needs to meet with his manager and go over how many hours he wants to work. It may be a very positive thing that they are giving him more hours, may indicate he is doing a great job and is dependable. But it is not unexpected/uncommon to have more limitations around high schooler or even college kids. He should politely address it and go from there.

• Like 1

Have your son tell his manager that he would prefer to not work more than 20 hours a week. I think it does show that his boss thinks he does a great job and is a reliable employee. It also could be because of the Obamacare employer mandate. Students are usually covered on their parents health insurance so they don't usually sign up for employer provided health insurance and are not likely to sign up for Obamacare which his employer might be fined for.

Edited by nittygritty

It's too many, and I will tell you that one payroll strategy is to hire people at cheap hourly rates as part-time with few hours and then try to get them working as close to full time at that crap rate with no insurance benefits as allowed by law, which is 30 hours or very close to it. I've had it tried on me any number of times. I tell them, If you want me to work more hours, I will need more money, and they back off. It's important to have that specific conversation at time of hire that that it the deal, X number of hours, because you can remind them that was the original deal.

• Like 1
First off, his age will dictate the hours he is allowed to work. Look at your state and local laws on minors. Many have laws around how late, how many in a day/week, etc.

If that isn't an issue, he needs to meet with his manager and go over how many hours he wants to work. It may be a very positive thing that they are giving him more hours, may indicate he is doing a great job and is dependable. But it is not unexpected/uncommon to have more limitations around high schooler or even college kids. He should politely address it and go from there.

Got it, is right. I was working at a grocer at 16 (9 years ago) and was working 40 hour workweeks during holiday break and up to 10pm school-nights. On weekends, you can work later. My dad made me get this job and like you, I wanted something seasonal, or very part time as to not effect my studies. I am glad I took the job. I met my husband there later on and enjoyed being away from home.

• Author

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking 30 hours is too much.

He is able to put in schedule requests. I will start with suggesting he requests more weekdays off to focus on school and make himself fully available on the weekends. Hopefully this will work!

• Like 1
  • Author

I just looked up Texas labor laws and am in shock! No limits for 16-17 year old (my son is almost 18) and 14-15 year olds can work up to 48 hours a week! That's insane! Check it out...

Hours of Employment for 14- and 15-Year Olds

A child age 16 or 17 has no restrictions on the number of hours or times of day they may work. There are hour restrictions only for children ages 14 and 15, with separate state and federal laws that cover their work hours. All businesses are subject to state law but only those businesses covered by the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) are subject to the federal law.

Texas State Law

State law states that 14 and 15 year olds:

Can work no more than 8 hours in one day.

Can work no more than 48 hours in one week.

Cannot go to work before 5 a.m.

Cannot work after 10 p.m. on a day that is followed by a school day, including summer school sessions when applicable.

Cannot work past midnight on a day that is not followed by a school day.

Federal Law

FLSA states that 14 and 15 year olds:

May not work during school hours.

Can work no more than 8 hours in a day or 40 hours in a week when school is not in session.

Can work no more than 3 hours in a day or 18 hours in a week when school is in session.

Can work only between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. during the school year. However, between June 1 and Labor Day, they may work between the hours of 7 a.m. and 9 p.m.

Hardship Exemption

Worked 40 hrs per week in senior year. Technical School allowed it. Class half day, Work the rest of day. Did summer accelerated course for credits in english,math, science.

Unless he is college bound and seeking that 4.0 for consideration into a league school, he will most likely fair well with work ethic and school time. What has he said about the hours?

• Like 1

Wow, those are really lax laws in TX! I live in CA and labor laws are pretty tight here. You cannot work legally until 15 1/2 or 16 here, BUT you also need to obtain a work permit and you cannot work past 10pm on school nights. However, you can work full time during holidays and weekends.

Wow, those are really lax laws in TX! I live in CA and labor laws are pretty tight here. You cannot work legally until 15 1/2 or 16 here, BUT you also need to obtain a work permit and you cannot work past 10pm on school nights. However, you can work full time during holidays and weekends.

It really depends on the state. Texas is not uncommon, CA is more so. There are other states with more restrictive minor laws including DC, CT, NY, etc. But VA, NC, etc tend to be more lax on minors and working.

This does not negate that ultimately parents can choose how little their kids work so regardless of your state's lack of limitations doesn't mean you can't have restrictions.

I grew up being allowed by the state to work many hours, my parents limited it to weekends.

Ideally, as an employer, I would prefer NOT to hire minors. They come with more risk, more red tape, more liability, and parents. 18 and older is far easier.

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear

I hire young kids, mostly to do errands and clean up...Occasionally, you get one or two that have some aptitude, so I give them some technical stuff and put them in the mix..They really are a good resource as they save me from sending high salaried employees(or myself) on small errands, plue they learn to have responsibility and work ethic

Just make sure the employer understands that if he needs time off, he should get it and not to work him into the ground...The kids I hire are basically on their own schedule and I dont question it..If they have responsibilities, that comes first..

Talk to the employer and make sure you are on the same page and it will usually go well..

TFY

I hire young kids, mostly to do errands and clean up...Occasionally, you get one or two that have some aptitude, so I give them some technical stuff and put them in the mix..They really are a good resource as they save me from sending high salaried employees(or myself) on small errands, plue they learn to have responsibility and work ethic

Just make sure the employer understands that if he needs time off, he should get it and not to work him into the ground...The kids I hire are basically on their own schedule and I dont question it..If they have responsibilities, that comes first..

Talk to the employer and make sure you are on the same page and it will usually go well..

TFY

Isn't liability higher when sending minors on errands if they are driving? I think employers are liable for those running errands on the clock if they were to get in an accident..not to mention higher chance of accidents since they are inexperienced drivers.

thefooloftheyear
Isn't liability higher when sending minors on errands if they are driving? I think employers are liable for those running errands on the clock if they were to get in an accident..not to mention higher chance of accidents since they are inexperienced drivers.

Im covered for those incidents by insurance, yet in 27 years of business, Ive never made a claim on my business policy.

Besides, someone can die or be permanently maimed in my business working on the floor-so running an errand is low on the list of dangerous tasks around here....You can't live life like that...Being in business is all about risks..Everything we do is a risk...Being in business alone is a risk..

The key is to minimize risks by not taking undue chances..simple as that..

TFY