Work fatigue/burnout

I've been in the social services field for almost 7 years. In the last 6 months or so I have been fighting the dreaded burnout that often comes with social work. I'm usually able to combat these feelings and bounce back but the past few days I have felt so depleted and defeated that I'm worried there may not be any real coming back to normal this time. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to cope/move forward from burnout/fatigue?

I wish I had an answer for you. I am experiencing the same thing (but not from social work). I think over time mental exhaustion can cause physical exhaustion. Many days I wake up tired (unrefreshed), and I don't know why, as I go to bed at the same time every night. Have you been checked for anemia? Anemia could contribute to fatigue, in addition with your exhaustion from your social work. Possibly if you took a vacation, or even a long week-end trip that could help.

• Like 1

There are some jobs that drain you and that is one. I think the only way to combat it is to be sure you are not working any more than is required of you and try not to think about the problems when you're off work. Play your favorite music or something like that on the way home to "switch gears." Make a clear demarcation between work and life. Remember you work to live; you don't live to work. Be aware that unless you take best care of yourself, you cannot take care of others.

• Author

Leegh, I'm sorry that you are feeling this way too. I do have a stomach virus right (that I got from work) now but these feeling have lasted longer than the physical illness. The fatigue is mental which makes it a little more difficult to deal with.

Peraph, Thanks for the suggestions. I am usually very good at leaving work at work and being able to relax when my day is over. Lately, however, I've begun dreading work as soon as I wake up in the mornings. I love the work that I do and the people that I serve but the budget cuts, ever increasing work load and miracles I am expected to perform on a daily basis are taking a toll on my morale.

I am aware these feelings are part of the nature of social work and non-profits. I don't see it getting any better with the new State budget cuts looming. I'm trying to decide if I want to make a career change in near future.

i think this happens in any job. burnout is not confined to social services or any other field. it doesn't stem from the people or interactions with people as much as from something within you that desires change and different working conditions. i have been in my field for 12 years. at about year 7/8 i felt awful - i hated my job, i was burned out with it as well. i thought about switching careers but the thought or re-training and building up benefits again was too much. a vacationed A LOT, and that didn't help either, because the job was always waiting for me when i got back. a simple switch within the same company worked wonders. i transferred within the company into a new position completely and it helped renew my enthusiasm. i would look for a change within the same company, so you're keeping your skill set and connections, but not the exact same job.

spanishchick00

I get burned out too, getting out of bed every morning is a drag. The only thing that keeps me going is a paycheck because I have bills to pay and put food on the table. And I'm half-way grateful to have health insurance..but it ain't that great. But for my situation, I have a job, not a career, I just work to live. Another people have careers and love what they do everyday...so I wonder if they ever get sick of it. Because it seems like they are happy 24/7. But I could be wrong.

CrystalShine2011

I'm sorry you're going through that - I know it can be debilitating!

What I did to get me out of my "funk" was to start going on a daily walk no matter how busy I was, and to start TWO new activities.

I started: Rock climbing and yoga. Both helped tremendously. :)