Boss trying to get us to wear uniform she thinks is unisex, when it isn't.

I work in a sportswear shop, and am 29 years old, been there since March 2014.

Today my boss Michelle (not her real name) told everyone where i work that they would be wearing a new uniform, and she actually modelled it for us; it was a bright blue sports bra/crop top and tiny black booty shorts/hotpants. Whilst she was modelling it she had The Bee Gees "You Should Be Dancing Yeah" playing. She began trying to shimmy in the backroom while showing off this uniform. Michelle does have a sense of fun, but isn't this taking it a bit too far ? This was in a private work meeting after-hours (we finished trading at 5pm) - I work in a sportswear shop, she runs the business, there's no boss's boss, etc.

It looks like the croptops and booty shorts you get on teaminmind (Google teaminmind.com to see what I mean)

My boss is a 45 year old woman who looks a bit like Brandi Glanville, albeit with streaks in her hair, and she enjoys power-dressing; she often wears a lot of jewellery. She has a younger boyfriend, who's 28, and looks a bit like Leonard from the Big Bang Theory. We've often seen him at work functions; he's a nice guy. I don't know him that well, but he seems to be a cool guy, pleasant person, likeable.

My boss is usually a good boss, she's liked by most of us, I've had no issues with her - until now that is.

She told us all individuals who worked here had to wear it, even the guys, and said she would wear it; her reasons for it, apparently, were, "People like seeing HOT women in sports bras. And I'm quite hot, if I may say so myself. Hell, there's nothing like a good sports bra." She even insisted she'd pay for false breasts for the guys to wear under the sports bras! (basically, stuffing fake breasts into the sports bra)

My co-workers are not impressed at all. I work with a team of 8 women and 2 men. One co-worker 28, said "Are you trying to make us look like hos or skanks?" to which the boss replied "No way; just trying to make things hotter and sexier. Come on, being hotter and sexier is the way forward. Everyone does it. Move with the times."

Currently I wear a nice white blouse and dark trousers (or for the guys) a white shirt and dark trousers, but she's ripped that rulebook up entirely and said it will apply in 6 weeks from now.

I politely told her that the uniform seemed unprofessional and that we're a sports shop, not a cheereleading team, and that guys don't wear sports bras, but she was having none of it, and told me that I had to wear it.

Also, one other issue with this uniform - if the 2 guys are going to have to wear it, won't that mean their junk will be showing through the hot pants/booty shorts?

I know there's a time and a place for sports bras/hotpants, but isn't it usually the gym or cheerleading, not as a work uniform?

I also told my boyfriend that night, and he was horrified. Not in a jealousy kind of way - that isn't the issue here, but out of concern for me. He said to me that if he worked there, he wouldn't wear it either and said the uniform was "unmasculine".

My boyfriend (who I've been with for 2 1/2 years) doesn't think it's an invitation for pervs to come on to me, but still thinks it seems odd for a small sports store to do this, he said there was nothing wrong with the current uniform, and I agree.

I'm wondering, where would my boss get this idea from?

I can't really leave my job, as I've got 18 months left to run on my employment contract.

How should I progress further with this situation? Suing her would be a frivolous lawsuit, so probably that wouldn't work, but I need to find a way to resolve this situation.

Need help on this one?

• Author
Is she the owner? If not, you need to move up the chain of command and complain.

Yes, she's the owner of it, the whole nine yards, really. She also co-owns an auto dealership in town as well.

BTW, cool avatar on your profile, isn't that some sort of Internet meme IIRC?

SycamoreCircle

This sounds so ridiculous, I thought it might be a prank post.

In the event that it's not, I would advise you to stage a small strike. Get the consensus of every worker there. If you're all in agreement(I'm betting the guys will at least back you), organize and stage a polite but firm strike. Everyone refuse to work until some kind of compromise is reached. Your strength is in your numbers, so stick together.

Keep us posted.

• Like 2
  • Author

In the event that it's not, I would advise you to stage a small strike. Get the consensus of every worker there. If you're all in agreement(I'm betting the guys will at least back you), organize and stage a polite but firm strike. Everyone refuse to work until some kind of compromise is reached. Your strength is in your numbers, so stick together.

Keep us posted.

This isn't a prank, but I can understand why you would see it as one.

However, the only problem with the strike is how and when to do it.

If we do end up wearing the uniform, couldn't it go viral and be embarrassing for all concerned? After all social media does have its problems, doesn't it?

Is she nuts? To ask women, let alone the men, to wear skimpy and slutty outfits is ridiculous.

All of you employees need to talk and decide as a group what to do. If you all refuse to wear it, being it's offensive and slutty looking, totally inappropriate, then there's not much she can do.

You can go to the labour board, or if this sports shop/chain is very popular, GO public with it. Leak it online and see if a newspaper or local tv station is interested.

I'd quit. No way would I wear such a thing at work.

No, more like the boss is pulling a prank on them!

If you're in the US, call your local EEOC office and just ask them if this isn't violating some law or other. Of course, bear in mind those stupid restaurants like Hooters are getting away with only buying tiny sizes and anyone who outgrows it goes bye-bye.

P.S. This is probably the whole goal why this woman decided to own a sports store -- so she had an excuse to put her cheerleading uniform from high school back on. Pathetic.

• Like 1

i have nothing to add except that i find this utterly hilarious and am having a great time picturing this very awkward staff meeting!

SycamoreCircle
This isn't a prank, but I can understand why you would see it as one.

However, the only problem with the strike is how and when to do it.

If we do end up wearing the uniform, couldn't it go viral and be embarrassing for all concerned? After all social media does have its problems, doesn't it?

If I was a 13-year-old with an iPhone, no life and a questionable sense of right and wrong, bet your biscuits I'd be making vines of sporting goods salesmen stuffed into daisy dukes and bras.

As for how and when to do the strike-

-Strike while the iron is hot.

-Watch a YouTube video on how to organize a strike. The key is to draw up a list of demands.