Finding a mentor or being creepy?

hopeful4someday

I had a class the other day with this person who interspersed some personal-life stories throughout the lecture, the kind that people don't usually admit in public, at least not in my field. I realized that I had found someone who shared a lot of experiences I had growing up, things that can potentially impact clinical relationships. I talked to her for a minute after class and she got me thinking about my own professional development and how my past is going to impact how I relate to people in the future. I'm conflicted about approaching her with other questions or for advice because part of me says it is a real opportunity for meaningful professional development, and the other part says that conversation would be too much of an "overshare" for a professional relationship and would make me look bad. So while the idea of picking the brain of someone from a similar background who has obviously turned her experiences into an asset in terms of being able to relate to and help people is really appealing, I can't think of a way to really talk about it without raising questions about my past with a faculty member (although she doesn't directly grade or supervise me). I tend to be pretty aloof professionally, so I don't know if this is just uncomfortable for ME, or if it's the professional setting that would make it weird for anyone. It's just so rare for me to feel that connection with someone else; it happened with a handful of other people before in undergrad in different domains and they have been some of my biggest growth experiences, but things feel different now that I'm a "grown up".

Write her an email saying how much you got out of and related to some of her life stories. Tell her you have some similar background/issues and how nice it was to find someone in her position who might understand your own journey. See if she encourages you in any way to talk one on one or just says "Thanks."

• Like 3
todreaminblue

pre raphs solution is near to perfect allowing you to break the ice and say how you appreciate her experiences she shares.....and possibly opening further dialogue down the track between you and her to lead to your own personal and or professional growth....because professionalism to me isnt about aloofness its being able to pre empt and relate to those around you knowing what to say and when to say it..... its having that connection and knowing when and where to drawn the line without breaking or damaging the connection.....which is actually often difficult ...good luck.......deb

• Like 1