Upfront in the interview?

Ok, would you be upfront about things you think would be a red flag to the peeps interviewing you? Or, would you just let it be cuz they might not of had that concern until you pointed it out?

Like let's say you're taking a pay cut...but, there's other reasons you want this job (benefits, commute, stability)...why not raise the issue if they don't? I mean, they are gonna see on your resume that you got paid more in the past...

Thanks for your responses in advance :)

Depends on what stage of the interview, but for the first one, definitely do not

#1 as about the salary. This shouldn't be addressed until an offer is extended and sometimes it may show your lack of research if they did post the salary. If they ask about salary expectations, do be upfront about that and be honest.

#rambling. my brother has lost opportunities for this. You want to show you know your stuff and prove your expertise, but keep it concise and to the point.

#Asking for time off (unless you have a pre-arranged obligation). However, I wouldn't let them know until an offer is extended, at which point you tell them what your availability will be.

#showing up late

#interrupting the interviewer

• Like 1
  • Author
Depends on what stage of the interview, but for the first one, definitely do not

#1 as about the salary. This shouldn't be addressed until an offer is extended and sometimes it may show your lack of research if they did post the salary. If they ask about salary expectations, do be upfront about that and be honest.

#rambling. my brother has lost opportunities for this. You want to show you know your stuff and prove your expertise, but keep it concise and to the point.

#Asking for time off (unless you have a pre-arranged obligation). However, I wouldn't let them know until an offer is extended, at which point you tell them what your availability will be.

#showing up late

#interrupting the interviewer

Thanks for the response pink_sugar....

This should be the "only" interview and I'm sure at the end they're gonna ask if I have any questions, and that's where I'll give my explanation on what I think they'll see as a red flag on my resume...cuz, while there have been times I flat out have been asked why I want "x" job if I had/am in "y" job, there are time I am not asked. So, I just am battling whether to bring it up or just pray that they do not see it as an issue (especially if they didn't ask).

• Like 1
Rejected Rosebud

If the only red flag would be that you're going to take a pay cut I wouldn't worry about that at all, lots of people who have been unemployed for a while will be jumping at the chance to take a job with lower pay especially if it has benefits!! Good luck!:)

• Like 1

I once took a large pay cut in order to work for a very well known company in my industry. Once I had the offer in hand, I brought up the difference in salary I would be committing to and I ended up negotiating them up from their original offer. I would absolutely mention the salary concerns but only after you have a written offer.

• Like 1

Let them raise the issue. If they don't, I wouldn't although as a previous poster, you could raise the issue after you get an offer to hopefully increase the negotiated salary.

As an employer, if I've chosen to interview and I know that you make a whole lot more than I am going to be offering you, I'll ask that in an interview. Specifically, I may something like, "You're very well qualified and as I can see, you make significantly more than what this position pays. Are you prepared to take a salary cut and if so, why would that be attractive to you?"

If the question comes at you like that, I'd be honest and open. This is your one chance to clear up the red flag and advocate for yourself for the job. You're excited and enthusiastic and you're willing to make this salary sacrifice to get X. Tell them that part of your story.

If they don't bring it up, don't say anything. They've considered it and it's not an issue.

The third scenario is that they'll dance around it. Some interviewers are not as direct as I am, so they may try to get at it with several different questions. If you suspect that's going on, then again I would address it. They're obviously concerned but perhaps not the best interviewer. You taking the lead and explaining it will not only alleviate their concern but help them out of an awkward jam. They'll likely think positively of you for that.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I believe the only time you can't mention anything about salary is when you are unemployed. At that point you are in no position to be picky

I believe the only time you can't mention anything about salary is when you are unemployed. At that point you are in no position to be picky

This is a good point, because unfortunately you have no leverage. I can see why it's better to find other work while employed. I mean, if they say no to your minimum salary requirements, what are you going to do? Remain unemployed? Or look desperate and take it anyways?

I like to take out a small piece of paper, write a number in it, fold it up, and slowly push it towards the interviewer near the end of the session.

Don't ask how well that has worked out though, just try it out :laugh:

• Like 1
The resume includes it...I can't omit it.

I never put salary info on my resume. I only provide that info if the employer requests it, such as on an application or cover letter.