Should I say hello to my former students if I see them around campus?

When I was a student, I would always say hello to my professors, current and former. Most of the time they'd give an awkward "hi" and I figured it was because they did not remember me. More likely because they felt awkward talking to me specifically, but I always thought it was a compliment to show someone that you remember them, so I looked on the positive side and always said hello to all my professors.

Now I am a teacher and I have ran into a few of my former students on campus and I tried saying hello. To my shock, they almost never reply. They just ignore me. And I try to say hello to only the students who were nice to me during the time we were forced to tolerate each other.

One time I had a student who was really nice to me and would always try to discuss physics, philosophy and the future of space travel and technology with me. He ended up working as a tutor for me the next semester. Then, after the summer, I ran into him in the hall near the classroom where I teach and I said hello. He was with a friend and just sort of looked at me funny and continued walking.

I guess I won't be doing that anymore. Maybe if I notice somebody I know in the hall I should just pretend to be looking off into the distance and walk by. What are your thoughts on this?

Edited by Eddy Street
WonderWoman911

From me responding to one of your prior threads, I would only speak to the students who speak to you first or those you had a positive relationship with. But other than that, in my opinion,don't feel pressured to speak.

I always had a smile & a hello for my present & former students. When I would chat with my present students it tended to be shorter & focused on the subject matter. With former students I would often ask about other classes or plans for the future. I did have a long conversation with one former student once because our engagement pictures were published side by side in the local Sunday paper. :) I am very friendly (as in hang out, go places & chat) with a few former instructors from grade school through grad school so after the course work is through I have no problem with student / teacher friendships.

• Author

I guess this is a non-issue. There is nothing moral or otherwise that says I should even look at them beyond the time we are forced to tolerate each other.

One of my problems is that I'm way too friendly for my own good.

I think you just smile or nod. That way, they have to be looking at you to get the greeting. It won't interrupt whatever conversation they have going on or whatever. I think it's horrible so many of them are rude to you.