Valid reason for quitting?

im 23 and had a girlfriend of 4 years. we work together, but since we broke up 10 months ago, i feel very counter-productive... and she has already started dating our officemate. I want to leave work if i want to have any chance of moving on... im already suffering seeing her everyday, and every night i know when they're going out together, and its just kiiling me i cant focus...

my question is, should i tell my boss why im leaving work? should i be 100% honest with my reason? is it unprofessional? any advice helps...

Yes, it would be unprofessional & I would advise against it, but I'm curious, what would be the purpose of offering such personal information?

• Like 1
im 23 and had a girlfriend of 4 years. we work together, but since we broke up 10 months ago, i feel very counter-productive... and she has already started dating our officemate. I want to leave work if i want to have any chance of moving on... im already suffering seeing her everyday, and every night i know when they're going out together, and its just kiiling me i cant focus...

my question is, should i tell my boss why im leaving work? should i be 100% honest with my reason? is it unprofessional? any advice helps...

Do not tell your boss the reason why you want to quit. It's unprofessional and also paint you in a light that you can't handle life's stresses and function properly at work and get the job done.

If you really wanna quit, start looking for another job. You want your boss on your good side in case you need to rely on him for a reference letter.

• Like 2

Only tell your boss if you never want a recommendation from the company & you want him to think you are unprofessional & incapable of maintaining proper boundaries.

You are better than that. Go great a great new job. When you resign say the standard you are looking for different opportunities.

• Like 2
  • Author

Thanks for your advises.

im just seeking advice from many people on the best course to take in these situations...it helps me evaluate my options and you people have been a factor in my decision making. Thanks!

in the "Breaks and Breaking Up" forum, most forumers would just advise me to quit my job if its not helping my mental state and that its no longer healthy...

i would agree and there are certainly more (and better) job opportunities in store for me here.

so if i understand correctly, i may still leave my job, but i shouldn't use the break-up as justification for it because it is unprofessional? i'll keep that in mind and find another reason: like better opportunity outside perhaps...

can you guys help me devise a proper (professional) dialogue on quitting? or a formal resignation letter is sufficient?

And this is one of many possible reasons why dating at work is a terrible idea. I agree with the others, do not mention any of this to anyone as your reason for quitting. Just state you found another job that will give you the chance to learn new things, more advancement opportunities, shorter commute, better benefits, blah blah blah. Stick with this reason even if your ex asks you why you quit.

• Like 1
  • Author
And this is one of many possible reasons why dating at work is a terrible idea. I agree with the others, do not mention any of this to anyone as your reason for quitting. Just state you found another job that will give you the chance to learn new things, more advancement opportunities, shorter commute, better benefits, blah blah blah. Stick with this reason even if your ex asks you why you quit.

We started dating 4 years ago, back in our college days.. I applied in our office a year ago, then recommended her just 5 months ago because her talents were needed (but partly because i wanted to see her everyday) it was a HUGE mistake. I merely became the instrument to introduce her to her potential future boyfriend by pushing her to work here... but i did have a foresight, "bringing your ex to work is a terrible idea"... but i went with it anyway. Silly me.

• Like 1
We started dating 4 years ago, back in our college days.. I applied in our office a year ago, then recommended her just 5 months ago because her talents were needed (but partly because i wanted to see her everyday) it was a HUGE mistake. I merely became the instrument to introduce her to her potential future boyfriend by pushing her to work here... but i did have a foresight, "bringing your ex to work is a terrible idea"... but i went with it anyway. Silly me.

Well at least you can learn from this for next time.

• Like 2

You're not obligated to tell an employer why you're leaving any more than they are obligated to tell you why you're being let go. Leave it at "I have accepted another opportunity at this time better suited to my career goals and needs. Thank you for the opportunity to work for your company etc etc". No one needs to know all the details.

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks! i would have gone with it if it wasnt for your advice.. i was planning on taking another major... im in architecture BTW, and im planning on taking up civil engineering.

This will serve as my excuse... "im planning to further my studies" :)

• Like 1