Do you think it's worth it for me to go back to school?

Just wanted others opinions on what my plan is. I am 24 years old and have my bachelors degree in psychology. Despite what people have told me over the years that the degree is useless, I have had some pretty good jobs. I've worked with youth, in group homes with individuals with mental disabilities as a personal support worker, and now I am a caseworker full time. I enjoy my current job but I can't move up from where I am, I will always be in the same position.

Now, I am thinking about going back to school to get my bachelors in social work so that I can expand my horizons with my career choices. It's something I am passionate about as well. I have been accepted to a Social Work Diploma program at a university here, but I am still working on applying to the BA program at another university. The thing is my grade point average is about 2 points below the minimum requirement so I am afraid I won't get in, but I have a lot of work and volunteer experience. My plan is if I don't get into the BA program is to get my social work diploma and then apply to the BA program once my grades are higher.

Do you think it is worth it to go back to school for this, or would it be pointless and a waste of money? I am a bit scared because I have been out of university for a few years. I can work part time at my current job as well while going to school.

Any advice or experiences with going back to school? Worth it or no?

You have to do the math. How much will it cost you? How much more will you earn with it then without it? How will it impact your quality of life while in school? Will you like your job better later?

Would it make more sense to get a Masters' rather than another B.A.?

• Like 1
  • Author
You have to do the math. How much will it cost you? How much more will you earn with it then without it? How will it impact your quality of life while in school? Will you like your job better later?

Would it make more sense to get a Masters' rather than another B.A.?

Well my grades aren't high enough to do my masters right now, I just meet the minimum requirement for a BA. I would have to do one year of schooling in the BA or diploma program to up my GPA and then apply for the masters. So basically it will be 2-3 years of schooling. And I can make considerably more money with the degree. Right now I make enough to live on but that's it. Which I don't mind because I enjoy what I do, but I would like to expand my options more.

i don't think you'll expand your options with a Social Work BA, for that you need the MSW. i'd recommend working on the deficiencies so that you can apply for the MSW instead of a second BA, the second BA really won't open doors any more than your psych one. the MSW degree has a ton of employment options. stay with your job and just go at it slowly and p/t as you mentioned.

• Like 1

If your grades "aren't good enough" are you going to be a better student this time around? If not, keep working for a while until you are truly motivated to buckle down.

• Like 1
  • Author
If your grades "aren't good enough" are you going to be a better student this time around? If not, keep working for a while until you are truly motivated to buckle down.

They weren't too bad. I had between a 70-75 average in university due to stress and also I partied a bit too much my first two years. But of course I would be dedicated if I went back now. My GPA for my last year of uni is just 2 points shy of how minimum requirement for BSW.

I second working on boosting your GPA to get a masters. I don't think a second investment in a BA would do much for you at this point. Bachelors degrees are pretty overrated nowadays and often don't get you a decent enough job to pay your student loans.

• Like 1