Bringing Interview Questions INTO Interview

Hi everyone,

To simplify recordkeeping of my job search, I've created a 3-page interview summary form. Each page has space for writing notes about the company and job, and then a series of interview questions broken into first interview, second interview, and offer categories. On my last few interviews, when it comes time to for me to have the floor and ask questions, I've been bringing this summary form out in front of the interviewer to choose some questions to ask. I then write down the employer's answer on the form with all my other notes.

I didn't think there was anything wrong with this and no interviewer's said anything.....but I'm just curious what kind of impression this may be putting on my interviewers. Any opinions/guesses? I honestly have no idea if it's good or bad......

Look forward to responses, thanks.

Eternal Sunshine

I would find this negative. It would sort of mean that you are approaching job search as a robotic task and don't hold any particular position in higher regard than others. I would prefer if the candidate cared and was engaged enough in my particular position to be able to talk of the top of their head and had some sincere questions that came up after the interview.

• Like 4
Hi everyone,

To simplify recordkeeping of my job search, I've created a 3-page interview summary form. Each page has space for writing notes about the company and job, and then a series of interview questions broken into first interview, second interview, and offer categories. On my last few interviews, when it comes time to for me to have the floor and ask questions, I've been bringing this summary form out in front of the interviewer to choose some questions to ask. I then write down the employer's answer on the form with all my other notes.

I didn't think there was anything wrong with this and no interviewer's said anything.....but I'm just curious what kind of impression this may be putting on my interviewers. Any opinions/guesses? I honestly have no idea if it's good or bad......

Look forward to responses, thanks.

I wouldn't bring out paper, and write things down. Instead, show you have listening skills and very attentive. As they answer, look up not down in writing things. This is about people. They will see this as you lack social skills, not attentive and have listening skills. They are not hiring a worker, but someone who "fits in" with their culture of their company, and will work with their team etc.

It's about 95% body language.

Just don't ask lots of questions, and remember them to keep your eyes on the interview panel, as you nod your head, and give all equal attention.

Edited by RockyCruz
  • Like 1

For you to write things down in front of me, I wouldn't hire you. I would be wondering what you were trying to hold against me & whether you're trying to set me up for a lawsuit.

I would also wonder about your short term memory & why you couldn't memorize your Qs or remember my answers long enough to to write them down when you go out to your car.

• Like 1
  • Author

Yikes. Ok, thanks.

So......I shouldn't write down anything at all during the interview? What about scrap notes on the back of my personal resume copy? Sometimes it's weeks before they call for a second interview and I just might forget something if I don't make a note for myself on certain follow up questions.....do I just make all my notes after I leave?

Thinking back to my earlier interviews yeah I can't remember ever writing anything down, but I'd also forget details by the time I got to the next interview.....that doesn't look good either right?

Also, I have a work portfolio that I bring in a large black leather tote, but I don't always bring it out.....sometimes I can't make a good segway to showing it so it just stays in the bag....does that maybe look like too much? The purse AND the tote bag coming in, then the question form in the interview. Sounds like I'm doing overkill now :/.

So......I shouldn't write down anything at all during the interview? What about scrap notes on the back of my personal resume copy?

I think it depends on how the interview is going. Every now and then, something will come up during an interview and it is prudent to jot it down and doesn't seem unnatural. But what you were describing seemed forced.

Also, I have a work portfolio that I bring in a large black leather tote, but I don't always bring it out.....sometimes I can't make a good segway to showing it so it just stays in the bag....does that maybe look like too much? The purse AND the tote bag coming in, then the question form in the interview. Sounds like I'm doing overkill now :/.

That would also depend if there has been a request to see a portfolio or not. How big is your purse? Maybe just bring the portfolio (which has your extra resumes in it) and identification and leave the purse in the car.

Also - and I hope you will excuse me, the word above you want is spelled "segue." A "segway" is a two-wheeled, self-balancing, battery-powered electric vehicle invented by Dean Kamen...

• Like 1

An interview should be as organic as having a conversation. Many interviews turn out to be just conversations, and not robotic.

Look at interviews that great interviewers do on the news, and promotion for movies.

It's like bringing slides or cue cards to a presentation. I never use any cue cards because it should just flow, and I never read off presentations.

It'd be better to use your hands as part of effective body language in gestures, to describe what you're saying.

Yikes. Ok, thanks.

So......I shouldn't write down anything at all during the interview? What about scrap notes on the back of my personal resume copy?

From CEOs I work with, they prefer the person knows themselves, knows the job, and face forward looking. Try to read up about the company, what they do and just be ready to answer questions. Face them, show your confidence and show you're good at listening.

When you go out of interview, you can quickly get some paper and write whatever you can remember. It's best to focus your attention in interviews with face to the panel. It shows confidence, certainty and you. The moment you lower your head the attention is lost.

You don't retain much anyway when you write because you're all flustered, trying to stay calm, trying to keep their attention, and then you're writing too.

Let go, enjoy the interview, and let it rip interview with your personality. Don't let space, echo happen cause you're writing.

Sometimes it's weeks before they call for a second interview and I just might forget something if I don't make a note for myself on certain follow up questions.....do I just make all my notes after I leave?
I understand and appreciate what you're saying. They do sometimes take long to call back or even respond. However, in interview it's not about logic as much as emotional, i.e. your body language, your personality, so let your personality shine.

Thinking back to my earlier interviews yeah I can't remember ever writing anything down, but I'd also forget details by the time I got to the next interview.....that doesn't look good either right

Yeah, well, like I said. Compensate but the way you answer their questions, and confidence. I think you're trying too hard. Just be yourself, enjoy the process and as time goes by, you'll get good at interviews and be able to remember more - IF - you focus on going for similar jobs and have clarity in your direction than going for different type of jobs.

Then yeah, it is difficult to remember much.

• Like 1
  • Author
I think it depends on how the interview is going. Every now and then, something will come up during an interview and it is prudent to jot it down and doesn't seem unnatural. But what you were describing seemed forced.

That would also depend if there has been a request to see a portfolio or not. How big is your purse? Maybe just bring the portfolio (which has your extra resumes in it) and identification and leave the purse in the car.

Also - and I hope you will excuse me, the word above you want is spelled "segue." A "segway" is a two-wheeled, self-balancing, battery-powered electric vehicle invented by Dean Kamen...

Haha thank you! That's an unfortunate discrepancy on my part. I wonder how many times I've used segway instead of segue and either confused people or had them think me a bit dense.

• Author

Well, this has certainly been an eye opener. Thanks for the feedback everyone, I'll go back to a conversational, minimalist approach to interviewing. If this is the impression I'm leaving, it definitely explains why I'm not getting callbacks or offers.

• Like 2

I know the general consensus here is to leave the paper in the car but I've had the situation arise when there were significant details discussed (ie benefits, very specific job duties, relocation details, etc) that required some quick notes. I always take in additional copies of my resume and other notes in a file so I just keep extra paper in there just in case. I've also had questions prepared and while I didn't write down answers, I did refer to the paper and once was specifically told that was impressive as it showed I was prepared and serious about the company/position and getting to know them. I've not had an issue getting offered the job so it must not have been too off putting. I do agree that it's a fine line and therefore it's important to be prepared for any situation but not too aggressive about it.

• Like 3
I know the general consensus here is to leave the paper in the car but I've had the situation arise when there were significant details discussed (ie benefits, very specific job duties, relocation details, etc) that required some quick notes. I always take in additional copies of my resume and other notes in a file so I just keep extra paper in there just in case. I've also had questions prepared and while I didn't write down answers, I did refer to the paper and once was specifically told that was impressive as it showed I was prepared and serious about the company/position and getting to know them. I've not had an issue getting offered the job so it must not have been too off putting. I do agree that it's a fine line and therefore it's important to be prepared for any situation but not too aggressive about it.

Much of the specific duties can be found from company websites, from their job descriptions, from also calling way before interview and even BEFORE you even apply for the job. You can ask questions.

That's what I did when applying a job. So much so, I didn't need to take any notes. I got all I needed from HR and the manager in these companies.

These are techniques that top earners use to prepare themselves in an interview, where they don't need to take notes. It also gives them a wealth of knowledge before even applying and the interview. The confidence they have in interviews surpasses most I've seen if not all, who sit their writing notes.

I want the FULL attention of the candidate. He/she must do their homework before applying and before interview.

It creates a stronger and valued perception on how you really interested in the job, you have ability for market research, your detailed, you plan, prepare and organised.

Plus, when you go to an interview, they remember you more than all the candidates because of this confident approach. It has served me well and helped to not bother taking notes.

I was ready, armed to the teeth within my mind due to this approach.

• Like 1

Well I am the lone voice on this. We interview and hire a large number of people every year, we are VERY impressed with individuals who prepare for interviews with us by having questions, pertinent to the position/company, written down and ready to be asked at the end of the interview.

What is not impressive are those that look like they are winging it and coming up with just questions on the fly.

We also have no issues with notes though they should be focusing on the questions at hand that they are answering.

We want to see that the candidate has researched our company, tried our product, has questions geared to us and even ask to reach out to peer positions and/or has reached out to them already.

I would ask, those who have answered you, have they actually been a hiring manager and how often?

I am not saying it doesn't happen, but my experience as a higher manager, involvement in recruiting and peers in similar fields, this is not an abnormal practice and coming prepared with questions, questions showing a knowledge of the company and position, is a very positive thing.

• Like 1
  • Author

Well when I started doing this practice, Got It & Banker's line of thinking is where I was at. I thought if anything, employers would see the diligence as a sign that I'm really serious about the job and took time to do some solid research on the company and think about the position.

If I've got several years of experience in a particular job, as well as considerable experience in the same industry as the company I'm applying to, then I get how busting out notes and alot of questions might seem a little wierd. I do still get very nervous in interviews so the form does help me stay on track - I'm prone to rambling when I'm nervous.

But I get how not writing things down can highlight alot of other positive skills, if the interview goes well. I haven't interviewed much so I guess I need to find ways to practice too.

Well I am the lone voice on this. We interview and hire a large number of people every year, we are VERY impressed with individuals who prepare for interviews with us by having questions, pertinent to the position/company, written down and ready to be asked at the end of the interview.

What is not impressive are those that look like they are winging it and coming up with just questions on the fly.

We also have no issues with notes though they should be focusing on the questions at hand that they are answering.

We want to see that the candidate has researched our company, tried our product, has questions geared to us and even ask to reach out to peer positions and/or has reached out to them already.

I would ask, those who have answered you, have they actually been a hiring manager and how often?

I am not saying it doesn't happen, but my experience as a higher manager, involvement in recruiting and peers in similar fields, this is not an abnormal practice and coming prepared with questions, questions showing a knowledge of the company and position, is a very positive thing.

I remember bringing a list of questions to ask at my second job when I was 18. They were very impressed and even said that I was one of the only people who came prepared with a list of questions. ;)

But I get how not writing things down can highlight alot of other positive skills, if the interview goes well. I haven't interviewed much so I guess I need to find ways to practice too.

Let's see pros and cons

Pros for taking notes.

1. It creates a perception that you're paying attention. Remember, perception. The candidate won't even remember 95% of what they write and even figure out some of what they write. But let's say it shows attention.

2. You won't forget "important details" about the job. It doesn't leave good impression if you ask the same question three times. Or you become repetition.

3. You can follow-up with a more compelling follow up letter as you thank them, and bring some of what was discussed.

Now, lets look at the Cons..

A) Fail to make a emotional personal connection. If someone is so absorbed in writing down everything, looking down at the note pad instead of the interviewer, connection is lost.

B) You can't really listen in full capacity. The brain cannot focus on two things at once in a direct crystal clear manner. Even if you got ears. You might miss out more important things when writing.

C) They might see you as a task orientated, detail orientated and very closed off in social world.

There is nothing wrong with asking questions but the key is watch out if you lose the interview panel attention especially if you're going for a high paid salary job.

So what's the solution:

1. Prepare well for the interview. Research the company in detail weeks ahead or whatever time limit you got. Do the homework.

2. Call the company and ask questions for more detailed specific information about the company. It also shows you got passion and dedication. Or if you got a recruiter, call them and ask the questions. They should know the answers and if they don't help, or don't pursue to get the information - don't wait. You do it.

3. Arrive early to the interview and bring the Job description details with you and read through it again and again. read few days before and doing when waiting for interview in building. Refresh your memory.

4. Create a personal story that focuses on the specific skills they want and stay away from, "I did a degree, and I did this," but use emotions, share challenges, overcoming, team work, leadership. A story that gets them attentive and shows abilities of your skills for the job.

They are human too, and with all human beings it is about...emotions. Make them laugh a little, make them wonder in amazement, make them LEARN something from you. Have personality. Show values.

The interview is not one sided.

It's negotiation, you have a say. You can say, "No. This is what I want. Lets come to a compromise." And if they don't, well, NEXT. Apply to more jobs until you find one who value you. The same way they do to candidates.