trying to relocate: any tips?

So today I've decided that I want to relocate. I've picked the city and state where I currently have family. I've lived where I have since I was 11 and I feel ready for a huge life change. Maybe this is my mid-life crisis, but I feel like a move is necessary for me at this stage. I need a life make-over and think relocating to a new city/state would open up so many opportunities for me work-wise, socially and romantically too.

I plan to try to find work in the non profit arts or education fields.

So which method do you recommend?

1) Find a job in the other state and then relocate.

2) Save up for 6 months, move, then find a job.

Has anyone here done either ^ and succeeded?

Note: The family I have in the city/state I plan to relocate to *would* let me temporarily live with them for a maximum of 1 month and no longer (I'm 43 and they have families of their own so it would be a stress on them as it is). I also have student loans I'm paying off, so I plan to move into an apartment not a house, and I won't have a car (because I won't need one).

Any input would be really helpful. Let's start with the first step: sending the cover letter and resume. Do I give a specific month that I plan to move in my cover letter, or do I just make a vague statement like, "I plan to move to [city/state] in the near future" and would like to be considered for [job]."

Thanks guys and gals!

• Like 1

Great for you! I'm in the process of doing the same thing. I'm thinking I will look for a job before actually moving and let them know my situation beforehand and that I'd have to make a trip for interviews.

A lot of people do this so I think most employers are understanding.

Good luck!

• Author

Great for you too, me85! In your cover letter, do you give a specific move date, or just refer to the fact that you are in the process of moving? Also, do you request to have a phone or Skype interview in your cover letter to prospective employers?

I think I need to figure out what to say in my cover letter, especially since I'm competing with job candidates who already live where I plan to move. What are your strategies?

Thank you! Well you are way ahead of me. I haven't even begun sending out resumes. I'm still trying to figure out what city I'm going to move to. I've narrowed it down but after that then I plan on looking for jobs in that area. Or in bigger cities nearby. I have an entire year to plan so I'm taking my time so that I'm sure I've decided on what's best for me.

I think it's wise to include a brief introduction and indication to what your situation is in your cover letter. Honesty is mostly the best policy. lol So yes, I think your head's in the right place.

Skype is a common way to interview so I would definitely include that you are willing to do that in your cover letter. Absolutely. But ultimately you want to be open to any and all possibilities to get an interview.

I feel like employers want to have the upper hand (of course) so you actually have to be open to whatever works best for them.

You sound like you're on top of your game. Don't second guess yourself!

• Author

Thanks me85! I think relocation is easier for people who work in the IT, financial and healthcare industries. I feel like my job search for non-profit jobs or education-paraprofessional jobs is an uphill battle from another state. Like, how do I make myself look better qualified than a local candidate?

Right now I've cobbled a living through temp, tutoring and consulting work; none of which is stable. And of course with minimum wage jobs being despicably low compared to countries like Australia where minimum wage is $15/hr, well, those jobs are no means of support.

I am leaning towards saving up to move in 6 months and then live with relatives for a month while I join temp agencies. But really, I want to find a full-time job ahead of time. Is it unrealistic to think I can pull that off, knowing the two industries I'm job searching: education and non-profit arts?

Find comfort in the fact that LS members are really helpful. It's only a matter of time before you get some really good advice. (=

I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful. I'm in a completely different field. I know nothing about how to go about seeking non profit employment. I won't lie.

Watch…people will come to your aid in no time on here! (=

UpwardForward

Yes you're right with months of saving - and sending out resumes. Perhaps you could ask employers if they see any future openings, and later plan your move according to the right job.

Though I didn't have a problem finding a job when I moved here decades ago, financially I wasn't ready to live on my own for over 18 months.

• Like 1
  • Author

Bastus: Well, if I could get a full-time job abroad I would definitely travel far and wide. I thought about living in England but that didn't pan out. I thought about moving to Ireland where I have duel citizenship by birth, but there are no sustainable jobs for me there even though I could live with cousins. I'd move there with no money and then I'd have to wait a year for healthcare, and other hurdles despite my duel-citizenship status (via my Irish passport and Irish birth certificate).

Thanks for that teaching link. When I was 26, I moved to China to teach for a year and had a great time. But now at 43 with student loans, what I need is a job with financial stability. English-teaching jobs while fun, only last for one year and are never permanent. I did apply to a language school in Lisbon, Portugal where I have friends living, but that was just for the summer of 2015 and I haven't had a response yet to my application.

For now I want to focus on the city/state I've chosen to move to. It's only a ten hour drive from where I currently live and I have family there, so if something were to happen I would have a support system if I needed one.

Upward Forward: So I should cover both methods (send out resumes while also saving to move in case I don't land a job ahead of my temporary departure date of 6 months from now)? I can do that. What have I got to lose? And I like your suggestion of asking prospective employers about future openings. I'm financially living on my own right now but have zero savings due to the instability of my current means of employment.

How did you find a job? Ahead of time or after you moved to your current city? Did you call the prospective employers at all or just send them your resume via email/mail?

• Like 2
UpwardForward
Bastus: Well, if I could get a full-time job abroad I would definitely travel far and wide. I thought about living in England but that didn't pan out. I thought about moving to Ireland where I have duel citizenship by birth, but there are no sustainable jobs for me there even though I could live with cousins. I'd move there with no money and then I'd have to wait a year for healthcare, and other hurdles despite my duel-citizenship status (via my Irish passport and Irish birth certificate).

Thanks for that teaching link. When I was 26, I moved to China to teach for a year and had a great time. But now at 43 with student loans, what I need is a job with financial stability. English-teaching jobs while fun, only last for one year and are never permanent. I did apply to a language school in Lisbon, Portugal where I have friends living, but that was just for the summer of 2015 and I haven't had a response yet to my application.

For now I want to focus on the city/state I've chosen to move to. It's only a ten hour drive from where I currently live and I have family there, so if something were to happen I would have a support system if I needed one.

Upward Forward: So I should cover both methods (send out resumes while also saving to move in case I don't land a job ahead of my temporary departure date of 6 months from now)? I can do that. What have I got to lose? And I like your suggestion of asking prospective employers about future openings. I'm financially living on my own right now but have zero savings due to the instability of my current means of employment.

How did you find a job? Ahead of time or after you moved to your current city? Did you call the prospective employers at all or just send them your resume via email/mail?

I was just a 21 yr old kid, and living with my parents, but had already gathered good order entry and basic accounting skills at two prev jobs.

I played around for a month or so here, shopping and running up and down the freeways. :) Familiarizing myself.

No internet then. Don't remember if I got my first job thru newspaper or Dept of Employment. But once I started looking, it happened right away.

I wasn't home when employer called the house. My father pleaded with them, and sold them on me. :laugh:

• Author

Ah to be 21 again! :laugh:

Hah! Well at least your father's influence helped you find employment. :p Mine is no longer alive.

Hmmm. So maybe I should cover my bases; save money while I still apply for jobs and contact temp agencies a month before I move there to have them put my name in their system. I know that temp agencies send their typing test etc. via email so I could get that out of the way before I would move.

Does that sound like a reasonable plan? Ugh. This is so frustrating. I feel trapped in my life here and so unhappy.

• Like 1
UpwardForward
Ah to be 21 again! :laugh:

Hah! Well at least your father's influence helped you find employment. :p Mine is no longer alive.

Hmmm. So maybe I should cover my bases; save money while I still apply for jobs and contact temp agencies a month before I move there to have them put my name in their system. I know that temp agencies send their typing test etc. via email so I could get that out of the way before I would move.

Does that sound like a reasonable plan? Ugh. This is so frustrating. I feel trapped in my life here and so unhappy.

I sure know what it's like to feel trapped.

But yes, being financially ready would be a big help, imo.

I got several good jobs through employment agencies.

I don't know what job you're seeking - but it seems employers look for people with good computer skills (and knowledge of different programs).

Perhaps you could use the time you're saving money, for extended (online?) education in the field - or even a job change where you're located.

In those days, each time I changed jobs - I gathered more education/experience - different facets.

• Author
I sure know what it's like to feel trapped.

But yes, being financially ready would be a big help, imo.

I got several good jobs through employment agencies.

I don't know what job you're seeking - but it seems employers look for people with good computer skills (and knowledge of different programs).

Perhaps you could use the time you're saving money, for extended (online?) education in the field - or even a job change where you're located.

In those days, each time I changed jobs - I gathered more education/experience - different facets.

Glad you can relate to the trapped feeling. My life is stale. I've seen it and done it here and I'm ready for a real change.

I wish I had used my spring tuition refund to move. Hindsight is 20/20. Dagnabit.

I actually could take some community classes to improve my administrative computer skillset, that certainly wouldn't hurt.

I'm trying to find jobs in non-profit arts where my role is to market a service to the public. Not necessarily a marketing role but maybe? Or work in a school as a paraprofessional. Not sure. Just those two areas is what interest me as far as career fields. Maybe work in community education as a director. I dunno.

I'll definitely connect with temp agencies where I move to, before I get there. But gosh I really just want a full-time job before I move.

Eternal Sunshine

As you may know, I did this about 7 months ago. I moved to another state for a job. It was actually my plan for a while and I deliberatly only applied for jobs in my target cities and avoided anything else.

I wasn't game enough to move and then look for work. I wanted the job and my financial future secured. So I applied from my former city. I never mentioned anything about the move in my cover letter. It was obvious from the fact that I was applying to the new city that I was prepared to move (at least that's what I thought)....I focused my cover letter on my skills only. It was brought up in the interview (i.e. moving) and I was lucky enough that my current employer offered to cover some moving costs. I never had to fly for an interview either, I had a panel interview via Skype.

So I got the offer, quit my former job and off I went in the search of a new adventure :cool:

I can tell you that I have zero regrets. It was the shake up I needed and I love my new job, my new friends and my new life here. Overall, I am probably happier than I have been in years. I am still single but I was too preoccupied with the new job to even really look until now...so we shall see how that pans out.

• Like 1
UpwardForward

I would think there should be numerous opportunities in marketing, education, non-profit.

At least you know the area you wish to relocate to. Then you can concentrate there, and looking for positions on-line and through agencies.

Perhaps finding the right position (getting the job ahead of time) will help you to know when to make the move.

Edited by UpwardForward
  • Like 2
  • Author

Well now I feel more motivated than ever to do this after reading both your last two posts.

Eternal Sunshine - how many months did your job search take before you landed one? I know that's an arbitrary question as there's no way to predict how long it will take me to land a job in advance.

Do either of you think my 6 month timeline is not realistic, financially-speaking? I've no savings and based on my intermittent work, live meagerly and live week to week (not something I imagined my life would be, but it is what it is). I can also defer my student loans (well, I'll have to if I want to save money to move).

It helps to have people to bounce ideas off of. Otherwise, hard to think of everything I need to be mindful of for this cockamamie idea to work. I love that word: cockamamie. Ha, ha!

Ok, so I don't need to mention that I'm moving in my cover letter b/c it's obvious. Check. Got it.

Yes, I do want to get the job before I move. I know that neither field (non profit arts or education) will pay relocation fees but that's o.k. with me. I don't mind the road trip.

Do I bother with a follow up phone call after I send my application/resume via email to these jobs? Do people even do follow up phone calls anymore? Or what is the protocol? Follow up email?

Edited by writergal
UpwardForward

Do I bother with a follow up phone call after I send my application/resume via email to these jobs? Do people even do follow up phone calls anymore? Or what is the protocol? Follow up email?

I would call.

And if you don't get the job, pleasantly ask if they could keep you in mind for future opportunities.

One never knows if the other applicant works out in the position, or if the company may have other future opportunities.

Then later followup with an email.

I would go with #2. A lot of employers won't look at you until you're in the area. Also, traveling for interviews can be expensive as it may take several interviews to land a job. However you can still apply to jobs elsewhere if they allow skype.

• Like 1

Since your family is giving you the 30 day limit then I think you need to have a job there first..

My last hire at work I hired from out of state and he moved to my state to take the job, he has been with us about 7 months now and is the best hire in 15 years..

I wasn't looking to hire out of state but when he responded to the ad and I asked him if his ties to the state would prohibit him from moving quickly he answered no and once he took the job after driving in for the interview he moved within 6 weeks...

Good for you... I have always been tied to the city I live around because of my company.. it sometimes sucks but one day I won't be and we will move someplace to live out a retirement...

When you apply to jobs I would smooth out the or address the OOS issue right away and let then know how it won't be a problem as you have family there and will locate to there right away.

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks for your responses gang! Let's do this (or well, I'll do this)! :laugh:

To recap:

Call after I email the prospective employer my resume to follow up. If I get rejected, ask them to keep my resume on file for the future. *Good idea!

Pink Sugar says move there first because employers will not likely choose an out-of-state candidate but on the other hand Art says that he has and is glad he did it. *Hmmm. Looks like I'll have to pelt two birds with one stone and apply for jobs from my current state while I save up, and then if after 6 months no job-offers, move to my new city/state anyway, stay with family for a month while I find an apartment and continue my job search. I'm hoping I can land a job before I move.

I agree with you Art, I will tell them in my cover letter that I'm in the process of relocating to that city and that moving there won't be a problem for me.

If I was happily married with child/ren I wouldn't think twice about leaving. But since it's just me and my cat and I'm miserable here, I have nothing to lose by trying. Right?!

• Like 2
Eternal Sunshine

Writer, it took me about 5 months but I was pretty picky and there was xmass season within the 5 months I was looking. So I would say closer to 3 months of effectively looking.

• Like 2
  • Author
Writer, it took me about 5 months but I was pretty picky and there was xmass season within the 5 months I was looking. So I would say closer to 3 months of effectively looking.

Ok, I'll start flooding email inboxes then of non-profit arts orgs directors' to ask about current/future openings because I think I'd really like to work in that arena despite my teaching background; because I can still teach community ed classes if I'm jonsing to teach again which I kind of am. I'm giving myself until July 2015 to find a job in this cit/state. I just hope that's enough time.

• Like 2
Ok, I'll start flooding email inboxes then of non-profit arts orgs directors' to ask about current/future openings because I think I'd really like to work in that arena despite my teaching background; because I can still teach community ed classes if I'm jonsing to teach again which I kind of am. I'm giving myself until July 2015 to find a job in this cit/state. I just hope that's enough time.

If you're going into non-profit or public (501c3) job, you can get a 10 year student loan forgiveness. It may help, depending on how much student debt you have...

I would personally find a job first and then re-locate. :)

Best of luck!! :bunny:

• Like 1
  • Author
If you're going into non-profit or public (501c3) job, you can get a 10 year student loan forgiveness. It may help, depending on how much student debt you have...

I would personally find a job first and then re-locate. :)

Best of luck!! :bunny:

Are you serious?!? I can get my student loans forgiven after 10 years? Wow! I have a LOT of student loans. Let's just say its' as high as some people's 5 figure salaries because it took me 3 years to finish at a private in-state university. The cheaper programs were weekend colleges and I knew I couldn't stand to be in a classroom for 8 hours on a Friday and then 8 hours on a Sunday.

And Thanks TFW for the encouragement. Thanks everybody who posted in my thread for your encouragement. Spurs me on it does!

I think its unanimous. I'm going to find a job first then re-locate!! Worst comes to worst I'll move in July with no job and stay with family but this gal is putting all her eggs into the non-profit arts org basket dammit. Time to grab life by the balls and go for what I want! :bunny:

• Like 1