I just started working for a company about a month ago, my first "adult" job since graduating college. I absolutely love it, my day flies by, the hours are great, the people I work with are great, the location of my job is perfect, only a 5 minute drive.

But last night I've just found out my dream job is hiring. I worked at this place during college as a practicum position, but once I was almost done school they let me know there wasn't any positions available. I waited a couple months and began applying there, still with no luck.

The only advantages to going to my dream job would be a little bit better pay, and the possibility of moving into an accounting position(quicker than at my current job) as it is an accounting firm.

The downside, I just started at this new place, absolutely loving it, and yet I can't remember actually loving working at the accounting firm. The distance is about 20 minutes, and with an hour lunch break it doesn't allow me to come home(not really worth coming home). In an accounting firm I would also be expected to put in crazy overtime in April(tax-season) which I don't really want to do.

I'm only 22 and I'm working on moving out, both jobs don't really pay enough for that, but the accounting firm is a couple $ more. I seriously have no idea what to do. Any advice?

When you say dream job, what do you mean? You've mentioned downsides, which is a healthy balanced outlook you're giving, but you have to decide for yourself whether the sacrifices are worth the rewards. If it really is your dream job, I say go for it if what you're saying is that it's better for the long-term.

You're just 22. Consider the long-term. Have you thought of the fact that it's possible you just might be able to return to the firm that you're working at now? I've known big 4 accounting firms that hire people, people slave their way through articling at the big 4 for as long as possible, but the long-term benefits far outweigh the the costs.

For instance, networking is a huge plus at working at a large firm. You open doors to working in other large firms, where you might find other people that you might enjoy working with even more than where you are now. Will you take that leap? I think you should considering you still have so much mobility. There is no guarantee that you will keep your current job, or that the happiness will last when your needs and the needs of the firm change with time.

Just my $0.02.

• Like 1

Sounds like the current job is better IMO.

I wish I was paid more at my current job, but the experience is exactly what I am looking for and I enjoy it overall, so I don't want to move on anytime soon. I agree though, I would like to get another place of my own asap, but with my husband and I working full time, it should be doable by maintaining a reasonable budget. You don't really want to jump ship just set for something that might pay a little better. Think about the extra gas cost with the extra 15 minute drive each way. I don't think it's worth it for a job that might only pay a little bit more. Stick it out with this job and if for whatever reason you're in the market for another job, you could reapply to this other job.

• Author

I know I'm jumping the gun anyways since I only just applied for it yesterday and may not even get an interview but I've always thought ahead.

The biggest thing with the accounting firm is that I can move up after putting in some time. My current job has nowhere else to go from my position. I've always considered this current job just experience since it's my first office job and all other places want 3-5 years experience. If I don't get offered this other job, that's fine, I'm very happy at my current job and I can always try again in a few years if something opens up.

If I get offered the job I'll really have to think about what I'm gaining and losing.

• Like 1
I know I'm jumping the gun anyways since I only just applied for it yesterday and may not even get an interview but I've always thought ahead.

The biggest thing with the accounting firm is that I can move up after putting in some time. My current job has nowhere else to go from my position. I've always considered this current job just experience since it's my first office job and all other places want 3-5 years experience. If I don't get offered this other job, that's fine, I'm very happy at my current job and I can always try again in a few years if something opens up.

If I get offered the job I'll really have to think about what I'm gaining and losing.

It's not your dream job. You're mixing financial, status, climbing up, opportunity for promotion as a dream job. It is not.

Your dream job is something you are very passionate about, it makes you feel alive, even if the wages are low. It makes you happy, content, and even if there is no openings to go higher, you find ways to create openings, to make things happen, to become the idea creator, the strategist, the one who pioneers to change it so BECAUSE it is all you, it is what you enjoy and you're going to make it what YOU need it to be and not what it is at the moment.

So be careful mixing a dream job with salary, money, going up. That's not a dream job. That's a result of working hard at something at a place where there are opportunities to go up the ladder.

The job I was in 10 years ago, didn't have any room to go up, increase salary. So...I CREATED one. I didn't mind. It was what I loved to do. It was more work but after it won the hearts of managers, the organisation realised the potential and asked me to lead it with increase salary and to create other jobs to help with it.

I'm not saying it's easy.

But a dream job is different to the chase of the dollar.

Forget gaining and losing. This is not the mindset to be in. Think about the right goals, for the lifestyle you want but doing what you are passionate about. You can go to the top and make lots of money; but I've been there. I had it all, and found myself dead inside.

I left it all because it wasn't the right goal, it didn't make me feel alive. I struggled for a while but I found my way in doing what I love in the end. It won't be easy.

Listen to your heart not your head. You're heart is telling you, this is you. Your mind is telling you, "but more money here, more opportunities here, more climbing up ladder."

Listen to your heart.

Edited by RockyCruz
  • Like 2