Now an Insurance Agent

Bumpin in My Trunk

And I couldn't be more nervous about working my new job. I have to maintain a steady performance and sell a set number of policies a month. If any body has any advice on how to approach people and sell policies then I would appreciate it. It can be any kind of insurance.

However, I am kinda happy I've made a transition into the semi-professional world.

Network. Network. Network.

Go to chamber of commerce meetings & every business group you can find. Coach little league or scouts or do something where you will routinely encounter people who need your insurance.

Read books on networking & Following up without making a nuisance of yourself.

Yep, network! Being any kind of a self employed individual requires constant networking. You are never really "off" the job. I've known insurance agents, real estate agents, brokers, etc. It's all about contacts and connections. Never leave your house without your business cards!

Good luck in your new endeavor!

I remember, when my dad was selling life and health on the side while working for the state selling and underwriting worker's comp, he'd grow the contacts he made in his day job and network through social activities. For us, bowling league was a weekly thing. I loved it because of the burgers and milkshakes at the bowling alley; dad was making sales contacts. He also used his CPA license to prepare income taxes for people as a sideline and segued those interactions into insurance and securities sales opportunities. He wasn't a particularly social 'butterfly' but people seemed to view him as sincere and trustworthy. 'Safe'. Which he was. I think I learned most of what I would later use to market my own business from him, by osmosis. Didn't really occur to me until just recently. Good luck!