So I am a recent college grad looking for a full time job. A couple months ago I got some job teaching theatre to kids part time. When I started there I was brought on only on Saturdays. The teacher they had for during the week never showed up. They constantly kept calling me to fill the classes but I could not. They do eight week sessions at a time. They always need me to commit to future sessions way ahead of time so they can have enrollment for students which is understandable. It just stinks because i am booked up every Saturday and never get one off, especially if something comes up like a family function. They have the hardest time getting staff so I am it. They have other programs like music and singing but those teachers can't teach my profession. I needed one Saturday off and it was like pulling teeth. I eventually had to tell my boss Karen that I physically wouldn't be there. She found a substitute. The sub is teaching this upcoming weekend and then I am committed to seven weeks after that of Saturday's. Karen told me she was talking to someone else about teaching and was going to hire her too to take the load off me and offer more class times.

Karen is already having me commit to January sessions. It's only the end of October. And she wants me to work Saturdays and some weekdays but still part time starting January I can't live on that with no benefits and working weekdays in the middle of the day conflicts if I do get a full time job.

The point of this is that I just got a full time job making lots of money and benefits down where I went to university. It's two hours away. I move to a new place and start in two weeks. I feel bad that I committed to the next seven saturdays. I am able to drive back every weekend and teach them. I can stay with family. But working Monday through Friday 9-5 and then driving two hours home Friday night teaching Saturday and then driving two hours back at the end of the weekend seems like it is going to be a lot of work and I might get worn out in the middle of it.

I have a small medical condition and have been trying to get on some medicines which means side effects and me not feeling the best. I'm fine but tired lately. I don't want to take on too much. My mom is wondering if I should quit even though I committed to the eight weeks so I am not overwhelmed. If she is talking to someone else then maybe she can get that person to do it. I am a very reliable worker and would never want to let my work, boss, or the kids I teach down. I'm not sure what to do. Worst comes to worst I drive the every weekend for the eight well now seven weeks left of this session then tell her I cannot work there anymore for the January sessions. I would rather not have to do all this travelling. Any help?

Edited by amkxoxo
Hope Shimmers

I think that you should have been upfront with your boss from the beginning and then you would not be in this position. You could have told her that you are looking for a full-time job and therefore you aren't in a position to be able to promise weekends into the future because that will have to be your priority. Then they could have either accepted it, or not.

But, here you are, and you have to do what is best for you and your full-time career. But, if there is any way you can fulfill that obligation without causing harm to that, then it might be worth it. I still am amazed at how many times my efforts to not burn bridges have paid off in the future in ways I never even contemplated at the time.

• Like 2
  • Author

I was upfront about needing a full time job. I let her know but she seemed to tell me she understood but she constantly put me on the spot about commitment. And when I would tell her I didn't know and was up for a job she would call me like everyday and try and convince me and make me feel guilty so I would say yes. It got annoying her calling so much. I only worked one day a week so we don't need to communicate about it all week long.

• Like 1

I say give 2 week's notice like you would any other employer. It should be sufficient enough time for them to find someone else to cover your remaining days.

• Author

That's what I thought. But people are already signed up for these classes and I committed. I feel bad. I feel unreliable.

That's what I thought. But people are already signed up for these classes and I committed. I feel bad. I feel unreliable.

Whoa whoa whoa!

Deep breathe....and well done on your new job.... :)

I remember seeing your original thread on this...

Karen is incredibly persistent..incredibly! I think you did what you could to set boundaries back then..as best as you could.

I would also have found it tough back when you started with this - you were enthusiastic - I know that - it was obvious from your posts but she went and trod all over you.

Do you have a contract? A real one?

If you don't you can at your own will be unavailable at any time.

You won't do this, I know that (FWIW I wouldn't either) but two weeks maximum is perfectly adequate notice unless a contract tells you one month.

If you have no contract then one week is also acceptable.

If it were me I would be in touch asap with her (by email if possible so it's a bit more professional and she can't be on the phone giving you 'but but you can't') and tell her I can work this and next Saturday but from then I won't even be living in the area.

Be blunt and direct and no words such as 'is that OK?'

It's your life.medical condition or not you do not have to give her that as an excuse. You simply won't be in the area and you cannot work for her.

PM me if you want an email checked over or help composing one...am happy to help if you need it. :)

• Like 1

I agree. You're moving and it won't be possible to stay. Also, it's important to determine if you're in an at-will state, so even if you did sign a contract, that doesn't override state law.

Considering the history with this position and this woman, I'd say give the official two weeks notice and call it a day. I get that you committed and I'm all about honoring those ... however ... are you REALLY supposed to forgo a great full-time job that you want for these weekend theatre sessions? Do what you need to do and don't let the decision consume you. Life's too short.

• Like 1

I think you need to focus on the full time job that pays your bills. The last thing you need with the new job is to miss time due to the weekend job (such as car broke down, etc). Give 2 weeks notice and be done. They WILL find someone else.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

So I am officially fed up with karen and I'm ready to leave. I put my foot down about the one day I could not do and it was fine. She told me she would get a substitute. She told me to leave directions and my stereo system. I left directions but my stereo Costa a lot of money and I didn't feel comfortable doing that. Now the first session I taught from 9:30 am to 11am. I talked in person with karen about timing of the second session and she told me we would start the new one at the same time but extend it until 12pm. I was fine with this. I got the first one off after I demanded it. I go to show up for the second class. I get there in plenty of time for my 9:30 class. The other people working there start critisizing me and scolding me. Apparently my first class was at 8:50am. I wasn't told. I had kids waiting for mW. I felt so bad. I apologized a lot and accomodated them. It wasn't my fault. I called Karen herself and we talked on the phone. She tells me it was a communication problem and that classes did start at 8:50 last session so when she told me "oh we will probably start at the same time" she meant that. Well my classes didn't start until 9:30 so there is no way I would know this. She acknowledged this but I was still mad. It made me look like an idiot. I would have been there on time if I knew the right time. Then during all the classes that day the kids told me that the substitute did nothing with them. She knew nothing about theatre or singing and they were so bored. I felt so bad. Karen led me to believe she was getting someone who could at least do some basic stuff with the kids.

I also just got a full time job I will have to relocate for. I convinced my new job to let me start in three weeks. I asked to talk to Karen in person but she doesn't work the day I teach and I am not driving out there for a ten minute chat. Its twenty five minutes of my gas money, there and back. I finally just emailed her after we could not coordinate our schedules to meet up. I told her of my new job and that I cannot work the last two classes. I didn't give her a choice I told her that my schedule was my schedule. They don't pay me enough or give me benefits to survive. I need my full time job and I have to move away to get it. I feel so bad. I love the kids. Some of them I have had for months now and I am bonding with them. Others I am just getting to know. They a love me. Their parents say they talk about me and when I was gone they were so upset I wasn't coming back. Now I'm teaching three more classes and then I'm leaving them. I feel so bad. I'm goinf to miss them. They are going to hate me. But I can't keep living with minimal money and this full time job pays a lot. I have student loans. And I can't keep working with Karen. It's horrible.

I'm confused...you have another post about hating your new job (which you have been for 3 days) yet you say here that you haven't relocated. If that is true, hasn't the issue with Karen been resolved?

What am I missing?

• Like 1
  • Author

Sorry for it to confusing. I have been commuting a far distance to my new job but soon will not be able to do it because its quite the commute. I started my new and still work for Karen on my days off. I don't hate my new job per se but it's a corporate desk job which I thought I would love but I don't feel stimulated enough. I'm adjusting. But I'm so done with karen. I'm staying two more weeks for the kids and that's it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Author

I'm so done working here its not even funny. I am ready to quit. I love the kids and was hoping to say goodbye to them this past weekend. I gave Karen a good four weeks notice that I got a new job and I'm moving away. I have now been living two hours away. I traveled back one weekend to teach and then this past weekend I traveled back again. Thursday was a holiday But Friday and saturday were not. I drove all the way there on Saturday walked in with my stuff and the lady at the front desk who is a permanent bitchh was all "we don't have classes today" I spun around so fast. What? She informed me that classes were off because its a holiday weekend. How the heck was I suppose to know that? Karen never told me. I was do raging mad. I drove all the way there and got no money out of it. I sent a strongly worded email to Karen's boss explaining to her what has been going on between karen and i. I have yet to get a response from her. I figured if i didnt here from her today then i will send a folllow up email telling her i am officially quiting. I also included karen in the email. She just called me but i am at work and cant answer a personal call. She also emailed me saying she wants to speak soon and when is a good time. She apologized and said I have every right to be upset. I emailed her back saying I could call her back one in twenty minutes if she was free. She hasn't responded. This upcoming weekend is suppose to be my last. I wanted to explain to the kids and say goodbye before I left because I care about their feelings but at this point I might just call it a day. This place is so unprofessional. No wonder the girl before me left without a trace. I'm ready to do the same.

• Like 1
I'm so done working here its not even funny. I am ready to quit. I love the kids and was hoping to say goodbye to them this past weekend. I gave Karen a good four weeks notice that I got a new job and I'm moving away. I have now been living two hours away. I traveled back one weekend to teach and then this past weekend I traveled back again. Thursday was a holiday But Friday and saturday were not. I drove all the way there on Saturday walked in with my stuff and the lady at the front desk who is a permanent bitchh was all "we don't have classes today" I spun around so fast. What? She informed me that classes were off because its a holiday weekend. How the heck was I suppose to know that? Karen never told me. I was do raging mad. I drove all the way there and got no money out of it. I sent a strongly worded email to Karen's boss explaining to her what has been going on between karen and i. I have yet to get a response from her. I figured if i didnt here from her today then i will send a folllow up email telling her i am officially quiting. I also included karen in the email. She just called me but i am at work and cant answer a personal call. She also emailed me saying she wants to speak soon and when is a good time. She apologized and said I have every right to be upset. I emailed her back saying I could call her back one in twenty minutes if she was free. She hasn't responded. This upcoming weekend is suppose to be my last. I wanted to explain to the kids and say goodbye before I left because I care about their feelings but at this point I might just call it a day. This place is so unprofessional. No wonder the girl before me left without a trace. I'm ready to do the same.

Honestly, just because of that, I would not go back to this job.

• Author

I love the kids. I hate that the unprofessional nature has turned me off. We made a meeting for me to call her today at 3pm. I snuck into the bathroom to do so. I called her twice and she didn't answer. I was so angry. I have the emails to prove confirmation of our planned meeting. This isn't the first time. One time we booked a calling time and she called me an hour after saying it got busy there and she lost track of time. You can't do that. Over the phone or in person, a meeting is a meeting. I talked to my mom. She told me to do what I want but either way Karen will probably pose me as the bad guy to the kids. So why go back this week when the week after she can tell them I bailed. I wish I could tell the parents. I don't want them to think bad of me but I don't know if I will be able to go back.

Edited by amkxoxo
I love the kids. I hate that the unprofessional nature has turned me off. We made a meeting for me to call her today at 3pm. I snuck into the bathroom to do so. I called her twice and she didn't answer. I was so angry. I have the emails to prove confirmation of our planned meeting. This isn't the first time. One time we booked a calling time and she called me an hour after saying it got busy there and she lost track of time. You can't do that. Over the phone or in person, a meeting is a meeting. I talked to my mom. She told me to do what I want but either way Karen will probably pose me as the bad guy to the kids. So why go back this week when the week after she can tell them I bailed. I wish I could tell the parents. I don't want them to think bad of me but I don't know if I will be able to go back.

Who knows if they will cancel the class and make you show up for nothing. Definitely not the risk of traveling so far to find out.

You keep saying you are quitting, yet you haven't. Stop dragging your feet and just do it. Giving 2 weeks notice is all that is required...why you keep using excuses "I don't want them to think bad of me", "i want to say goodbye to the kids", etc. These kids won't remember you in 2 weeks and neither will the parents. You can't control what "Karen" says or does and the sooner you accept that, the better off you will feel. All you can do is control yourself and your behavior.

Quit b*tching and give notice. No one is making you keep traveling 2 hours on weekends. You are choosing to do that since you haven't given notice.

• Like 2
  • Author

I sent her a short and to the point email two days ago. I told her that I attempted to call during our meeting timr and she did not answer. I told her that I am overly stressed over this and it is unacceptable. I told her that I love the kids but the lack of communication is ridiculous. I told her I could not further put my new job in jeopardy to keep trying to call her. I then said " because of all of this I think it better to resign. I will no longer be teaching classes as of now."

She emailed me hours later saying. So sorry I missed your call I got caught up in a meeting. But I mean you didn't leave me a message. You also have my cell phone number. Then she told me she realizes it's difficult to reach her. Then she asked if I would be teaching this upcoming weekend.

Like did she not read my email about resigning as of now. Not after this weekend. Yesterday she texted me and called me to pester me about if I'm teaching. I am choosing to ignore her so I never answered. My email before saying how I will no longer be teaching should have been good enough. I never answered. Today she should have gotten the hint as I didn't show up.

• Like 1