Overstepping professional bounds?

I have currently been assigned to a project where I am not the "Project Leader". The project has been developed a great deal and I have come in to help with the completion of a certain phase.

Here is the problem: There are a LOT of mistakes, omissions, errors, f**k-ups, oversights, whatever you want to call them -- and I find that I am the only one willing to make the effort to find them and fix them (in a way going beyond what I was assigned to do). However, since I am not the "leader" of this project, I feel that I am somewhat overstepping, but no-one else seems to be taking the initiative. Also, I kinda don't want to have to do all this work for a project that is not even mine - I have my own to think about and put this much effort into. However, things don't sit well with me unless they are done properly.

What should I do? Please advise all LSers...

Sounds like you might be a perfectionist. If you can overcome this then just do your part and go on.

If the project's look and outcome has no reflection on you then have nothing to be conerned about.

If you do have perfectionist tendency then bring up the corrections to the team leader and let them handle it.

• Author

Yes - I probably have perfectionistic tendencies, but also the outcome affects more than just me. It has the potential to cost the owner (of the project we are designing for him) more money in the long run, which in a sense will reflect badly on the firm, and by extension, me. Also, the mistakes have the *potential* of affecting lots of people in the future (in a small way - not life threatening).

any more thoughts?

bluechocolate

If I were you I would stick to my brief.

Document the errors that you come across, even go so far as to document how you think they will effect the final outcome & how they have/will effect the work that you are doing. But I would not attempt to correct them. By doing so you are also taking ownership of them, meaning that all eyes will look to you when they are not fixed correctly or not fixed at all. As you said, you are not the Project Leader - you shouldn't assume that role uninvited.

• Author

Good point, bluechoc...

I guess I have to weigh protecting my ass with some sort of personal integrity to the project...

Yup, because if you're going to "protect it", you've gotta be willing to "protect it" for the full 100%. If you speak up and fix the mistakes made, what if there are others that you overlooked? Is it YOUR fault then? I wouldn't put my a$$ on the line to do it. And maybe next time, they'll assign you to the job when this one shows up half-a$$ed.