Nepotism at work driving me insane

I work for a small/medium company, with about 50 employees. I have a huge amount of respect for the director of the company, as she formed her own business in an age where this wasn't the easiest thing to do.

However she is guilty of terrible nepotism and it is driving me insane on a daily basis.

Her son is employed by the business. He is quiet, keeps himself to himself. He is given flexible working hours which are not afforded to the rest of us. He can afford to work part time because he is paid the same amount as me (I work full time). He doesn't have to perform certain duties. He is pleasant, but tends to be lazy and cuts corners with work.

She hired her niece, who is unpleasant, frequently calls in sick, and doesn't do her job properly.

at least half of the office have been hired because they have some connection to her.

Most irritating of all, is that her nephew has been given a fast track promotion.He is now my manager, but he is completely inept at his job.

He is completely disorganised, to the point that it impacts on my work. He will interupt me in the middle of a task, to ask I start a new one. He will then wander off, leaving me in limbo. I will be unable to perform the new task because I haven't gotten information, but I'm unable to return to my previous task.

He is very demotivating - he takes credit for issues I have resolved when in discussion with higher management. When I come to him with a query he immediately begins to question what I have done (which won't always be relevant). It makes it seem like he is diving straight into a blaming game, instead of actually focusing on how to resolve it.

The majority of time escalate issues to him, or come to him with queries, he doesn't follow up.

He reprimands my performance in certain things - for example, my accuracy in recording particular details, even though my performance in this is higher than his and he frequently overlooks his own failings in this area.

He doesn't look out for other team members - for example, a colleague of mine has been very stressed.Our systems haven't been working, it's a busy transitional period and extra work has been dumped on him as a result of a poorly planned project. He frequently works the majority of his (unpaid) lunch hour, and works (unpaid) overtime.

It is me and my other teammates wo reassure him, assist him with work, remind him to eat. This manager seems happy to have him work himself into the ground.

There are other teammates of mine who have been at the company longer, are better at their jobs, who I feel would be better in his role. There aren't many opportunities for promotion due to the size of the company.

As someone who has been taught to work hard for everything I have, it galls me on a daily basis that others who deserve his job (and pay), have been overlooked.

Things came to a head yesterday when I was 5 minutes late (bear in mind I have been working late most afternoons to meet with demands, all of which is unpaid).

He called me out about my lateness, advising I had been late several times recently (I hadn't).

I was held up by five minutes because the lady in front of me, during my routine coffee run in the morning before work, decided to order 5 coffees.

I want to leave this company because it doesn't have long term career prospects, but it's getting to the point I can barely hold my temper around him, regarding his inadequacies. And I am usually a very patient person!

Can anyone relate? and can you offer me coping techniques?!

• Author
I would say quit, because I wouldn't be able to handle it. Either you block it out and ignore it, or escape.

Planning on dong it asap! I work most nights to find another job - in this climate they are hard to come by. Something which makes me even more angry about this moron.

• Like 1

You have to just look at all those relatives as also owners of the company and as if they are your boss and all bosses get to do whatever they want. There's no changing it, that's for sure. Likely they will be in a position over you from now on, so if you value your job, may as well be the one who accepts them so they'll like and promote you maybe.

IMO, another example from the annals of 'life isn't fair'. Having a number of friends who own closely held corporations in that size range, all I can say is it's their money and they run the business the way they want. That's why I'm a friend and a vendor, not an employee! That said, I have seen examples of family members being canned because their work ethic/work product was dragging on the company's bottom line. It all depends on the focus of the owner. If they catch wind of a family member-employee negatively affecting the big income producers at the company, especially to the extent those members indicate they'll be heading out if things don't change, some owners will come down on the side of the corporation versus the family member. Others won't.

Polish up that resume and try to leave on as good of terms as possible. That's my .02. Focusing on the next opportunity can mitigate the focus on the current one, and its attendant drama and frustration.

Planning on dong it asap! I work most nights to find another job - in this climate they are hard to come by. Something which makes me even more angry about this moron.

...and just to help keep you motivated, any time things aren't looking so great on the new job front, just think what it would be like to be at your current job 20 years from now. Painful, isn't it?

• Like 1

Witnessed your story many a time in small business. Actually work in one similar.

As much as you may think you are at the mercy of the scenario you do have the right to proper pay. Contact your Dept of Labor. They should be able to assist on your due wages. Ignore anyone telling you to simply not rock the boat. You are deserving of proper wages for time worked. Good luck and do keep your head up, you aren't the problem.

omg I can relate. I worked for a hellish family owned company for the last year and a half..NEVER AGAIN. it was the same as what you're dealing with: non-stop nepotism and unprofessionalism, no long-term career growth possible, etc.

Start looking for a job. I will NEVER work for a small family owned company again.

Why is your coworker working unpaid overtime? That's illegal and the company should be reported if they know he is doing this. I would make a complaint to dept of labor.

My coping advice....you don't want to hear it...but it is to quit.

I worked at DirecTV and it's all a bunch of nepotism running that joint. I quit to get away from it as there way no way around it short of marrying into the clan, but then again I got sick of white collar work and started my own business after leaving because I'm tired of "working for the man" anyways.

WWTDD? (What would Tyler Durden do)