telling my co worker to mind her own business

I don't why my co worker is interested in my personal life.I am 29 single with no kids and I am happy and content with that until I meet the right person. However, my co worker who is female is always asking me if I am dating yet .Also when someone is announcing that they are having a baby ,she says things like``we have to find you a nice man to marry``or ``you are next`` I work with her every second weekend and almost every time she makes reference about me having a boyfriend.

I know she mean no harm but I am starting to get irritated because I like to keep my personal life private. I don't really like to talk about who I am dating etc.So would that be rude to be blunt and tell her that my personal life is none of her business ?

I think an easy response might look like:

I prefer not to share my personal information here at work.

Then just stare at her in silence so she gets the clear message that she is being too personal in a work environment.

• Like 2

Sometimes I've responded with "wow you must have no hobbies of your own if you're this nosy."

Other times I've just stared blankly, then slowly yawned, and then returned to my work.

• Author
Sometimes I've responded with "wow you must have no hobbies of your own if you're this nosy."

Other times I've just stared blankly, then slowly yawned, and then returned to my work.

Oh nice :) Did it work? Did they get the message afterwards?

That reminds me of this nosy woman at work who asks me why my husband and I haven't had kids yet. I feel like asking her why she decided to have kids young. Also, her and another coworker she is in a clique with seem to monitor my bathroom habits as they make an effort to get my attention over a piece of TP in the toilet. Very strange.

• Like 1

I would just say " look not everyone wants kids, it is 2014 it is no longer the norm to definitely expect children"

When they ask around they will be proven that you were RIGHT lol, since most normal people no longer expect kids are on the table given exponential student loans and the high volume of people that have come forward and exclaimed that no they will not be able to afford kids ever due to their too large student loans and too low paid job......

If they don't get that then yeah, they are just not "with it" and they obviously don't have a wide circle of friends.

• Like 2

I would say 'Even if I was dating someone then that is my private life which for me is private and most definitely not something I would talk about in the workplace.'

Then smile and change the subject to something work based.

• Like 1

Lol this commentary makes procreation sound like some fad or social trend.

It doesnt matter what country you're in, there will be single people, couples, single people w/ kids, couples w/ kids, couples w/out kids, etc....

The point is this kind of info is not a work colleague's business period. There are plenty of other subjects to base a social interaction in the workplace on besides family and dating.

I agree with most posters here, tell her you consider dating and family private matters and you'd rather not discuss them at work.

Unless you want her to spark some tangential conversation about who's having kids and who's not, I wouldn't recommend making any commentary along those lines.

• Like 2
I would just say " look not everyone wants kids, it is 2014 it is no longer the norm to definitely expect children"

When they ask around they will be proven that you were RIGHT lol, since most normal people no longer expect kids are on the table given exponential student loans and the high volume of people that have come forward and exclaimed that no they will not be able to afford kids ever due to their too large student loans and too low paid job......

If they don't get that then yeah, they are just not "with it" and they obviously don't have a wide circle of friends.

This! The biggest reason I don't have kids is that I am broke as f***, not that it's any of your business!:laugh:

Agree with 2sunny. I tell people when they are prying that I prefer to keep my private life private and that's the end of that. Occasionally when they forget and ask me I just say 'nice try' and get back to work. They eventually get the message.

• Like 1