What's it like working as a stock associate?

I'm thinking about getting a part-time seasonal job in retail. It will give me something to do besides working at my full-time job. Is it horrible? I imagine it doesn't involve working the cash register, and no quota to meet..I don't mind talking to customers, although I don't like angry customers.

'Stock' is the stuff that goes on the shelves. Seems to me if you are interfacing with customers, you'd be a 'sales associate'. Back in my day we were called 'stock boys' and did the grunt work of putting the product on the shelves.

• Like 1
'Stock' is the stuff that goes on the shelves. Seems to me if you are interfacing with customers, you'd be a 'sales associate'. Back in my day we were called 'stock boys' and did the grunt work of putting the product on the shelves.

This. Also, why do you need another job if you're already working full time?

You won't have much luck in the vying for the position of retail assistant at the lowest level, as young college kids or even high school kids all work those jobs. You will be competing against not only high school/college age kids, but also mature adults who needs a second or third job!

If you have no prior experience in customer service you wont have much of a chance at getting an interview.

At least in Australia you need experience in customer service to even be considered.

As for the job, it is clean and easy once you learn the ropes! It is hard work though, you are on you feet for 5 hours at a time before you are permitted to have a break, and many staff opt not to take breaks for 6 to 8 hour shifts.....

The managers don't generally get breaks for lunch at all, so you tend to feel bad that the managers don't get to eat all day, so many staff members forgo breaks in order to look for favourable to the manager.

Some stores are lovely to work for if you love the brand and the company has hired great people at all levels of the company.

• Author
This. Also, why do you need another job if you're already working full time?

It will give me something to do in the evenings/weekends. I just want something seasonal-until January.

Invest in a good pair of orthotics, and foot protection. Going to the gym also helps.

And beware the year-end! Make auditors' lives easier knowing where everything is, especially stuff on conseignment. :)

• Like 1
  • Author

Plus, it will help me with the bills since I have a low- paying job as is, since my company has been downsizing for the last few years, with lay offs, etc, etc.

• Author

I hope I didn't offend anyone by being remotely interested in some crappy minimum wage job. But after careful consideration, people with full time low paying jobs should reserve those part- time minimum wage jobs for those that REALLY need it, right??? I didn't know I was ruining peoples hopes and dreams of snatching that 8 dollar an hour job. Good lord.

I worked at a big box retailer right out of high school, they had me doing cashier and layaway. One time they asked if I could work a midnight (we closed at 10) to help stock the shelves to cover someone that quit. I did it because I needed the money. Ended up I LOVED it...didn't have to deal with customers, nobody stopping to ask where stuff was, it was pretty easy/mindless. Easy money. If I ever went back into retail, that's what I would want.

I worked at a big box retailer right out of high school, they had me doing cashier and layaway. One time they asked if I could work a midnight (we closed at 10) to help stock the shelves to cover someone that quit. I did it because I needed the money. Ended up I LOVED it...didn't have to deal with customers, nobody stopping to ask where stuff was, it was pretty easy/mindless. Easy money. If I ever went back into retail, that's what I would want.

How long were shifts? As long as they took?

Is it possible to do this job and a full time 8:30-5:30 job?

Seriously OP, don't feel bad. If you want it badly enough, you should get it. Leave it up to the employer and economists to decide the moral issues that surround this very controversial topic (societal welfare, ahem). What's important to you is what's going into your pockets and feeding your family.