Feeling Like You Could Nail The Interview If You Had Your Time Over?

Does anyone else feel really let down/or have you felt really upset in the past over roles you REALLY wanted, but didn't get because you couldn't quiet nail the interview?

Worse still, have you ever looked back over an interview for this dream role, and then KNOWN that you could have nailed it if you had your time over?

I really hate the feeling.

For instance, yesterday I had an interview for a role I REALLY wanted, as it was working with all the designer brands and in my favourite one stop shop department store. Now, I think I dressed well and she liked that I could give clear examples of times in my prior roles where I successfully handled conflict and complaints, and also examples of how I worked in a team. I am also positive and bubbly like the typical retail assistant which I could tell was well received, but my problem is......

I get too nervous to really nail interviews, when it comes to going for the roles I truly want!

Instead I tend to waffle on a little too much.

If I had my time over again I believe I could have nailed the interview. Ugh.

It is like... I can look back and see that I shouldn't have waffled too much and I should have talked more about fashion.

I have an interview tomorrow for a fashion based role in retail so..... fingers crossed I can talk about style a little more and my passion for it will come out, without be waffling and sticking to key points!

Any tips on how not to get too over excited and not waffle on too much?

• Author
Huh?

I thought you were ill suited to retail and were focusing on your admin career...

Working with things I like I don't mind, I just hate hospitality and am ill suited to it. A café or restaurant based role is... you either have it, or you don't. I don't have the knack for hospitality I am afraid.

I have come to the conclusion that I don't at all mind retail, at least I can work with products I like (I have put my application forward for positions that involve products I already know about and like).

Admin based roles have 300 plus applicants vying for every single entry level role so it is fairly obvious I wont get a reception job.

However, I am enjoying the online business admin certificate, and I am sure it will make me a more attractive candidate for retail/sales based roles.

I will still apply for reception and entry level roles in admin, however, I am sure I wont get any without years of experience in a similar role.

When I started doing administrative work, I called all the companies I wanted to work for and asked what temp agencies they used, then I signed up with those agencies. Eventually I ended up temping at each and every company I'd called, made a good reputation for myself, made some great connections, and got hired at a fantastic job through my temp work. Something to consider.

• Like 4
  • Author
When I started doing administrative work, I called all the companies I wanted to work for and asked what temp agencies they used, then I signed up with those agencies. Eventually I ended up temping at each and every company I'd called, made a good reputation for myself, made some great connections, and got hired at a fantastic job through my temp work. Something to consider.

I have to finish my business admin certificate and get unpaid practice in entry level admin roles before a temp agency would even consider me....

I can't just go and register with temp agencies. They need a high WPM (Mine is only 70 now), and you need to know how to go in and work in an office without instruction.

One needs to learn these things, most people cannot just wing it and "know" exactly what to do because it is purportedly "common sense".

It is way too competitive here to be average at said jobs - you already need to know how to do the job before the interview to have a chance.

300 people apply to the same entry level admin role.

I had a real shot for the fashion orientated role since you cannot feign good style. I genuinely think I looked the part, albeit I am not that attractive but hey I dress well.

• Author

I have devised a few things I will say from now on in future interviews to avoid the dreaded waffling.

For example, for the call centre interview for a major bank, selling their insurance services to existing bank clients..

-I will mention that I am interested in learning more about their insurance products including life insurance, travel insurance, and __ ___ and ____.

- I will say that since my personal training career and my stint living overseas and working in retail/studying at college, I have decided that I want to excel in sales, and I have been watching online seminars in order to inspire me.

- And of course, I will mention how I will be a major asset to them by providing examples of: times I have effectively dealt with conflict/complains, and worked in team.

Anything else I have missed?

Oh and my five year plan is already planned out, so it is geared towards making recruiters see that I am driven and I have a plan, and their company is included in it (and it is not just a job to me)

I feel I will avoid waffling if I ONLY stick to those above points ^^^^ and be willing to expand on them, and give more examples (for instance, if they want to talk about sales and the things I have learnt from the seminars).

These are entry level call centre jobs.

Each night I also practice going over an example of when I effectively: dealt with conflict, complaints and worked in a team so when I am in an interview I don't let me enthusiasm or nerves get the better of me, and I can get straight to the point without feeling flustered or unclear of what to say.

Anything else that will help me avoid constantly feeling like " I could have nailed that interview" yet didn't at the time?

Many times Leigh it takes more than nailing the interview to get hired.

In my company you can nail the interview but still not be the right fit for a position..

Many positions take a certain personality feature.. an example would be the perfect fit for a sales rep and the perfect fit for a production coordinators role here..

The two people we would fill would have different personality strengths.

A sales rep has to have the ability to understand and use the sales process and be able to make long term relationships work.

A Production Coordinator would have to have the ability to be pulled in many directions and not give in to any of them but make all people feel they did, they would also have to be much harder core than a sales rep who would be softer on the outside.

Don't feel bad if you think you didn't nail the interview.. it might not have changed the outcome...

and you will find a position that is right for you.. keep trying...

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks Art Critic.

I was good at building long term relationships in personal training, as I liked talking to clients about their goals, and I enjoyed asking them to talk about how it is benefited their lives..

So I did enjoy building relationships, who doesn't? It is rewarding.

Ultimately, I just have to be myself. My personality will be the right fit for one company.

Being myself and also having plenty of examples on how I: worked as a team, solved problems, dealt with complaints and an example of how I increased sales.

As long as I have some solid examples for each point, I have researched the company and I tailor my answers to how I could be an asset to the company, then all I can do is be myself lol.

Sometimes I never think I will get a job during college.

I feel so upset at the prospect of staying broke until I graduate podiatry:(

I easily get interviews as I have worked so hard on my resume ..I GET interviews.

But young 16 - early 20's folks go for retail jobs so frankly, I only stand a chance at the retail outlets where they appreciate more mature aged people who have had experience in the workforce like me and have goals and a clear direction. And many young people have prior experience too and are goal orientated....

I doubt I will ever get a permanent part time role in either retail or entry level admin, but I am not going to give up.

Crummy call centre jobs are all I can likely get until I graduate, since personal training is NOT an option (too much money to start it up)

I have interviews for assistant manager positions though! It will likely be full time though and although I will take the job, I would... have to quit and ask to be demoted to part time store assistant whilst Uni starts....they may crack the sh*ts with me enough to NOT want me to stay on...

200 plus applicants apply for every entry level retail and admin role so umm, I tend to go for assistant manager roles since it fits in with my age more? And plenty of companies have asked me to interview for the role, we will see where it goes.

Thanks for the help. I am desperate to just work a job during college. I'd give anything for it, I research every company I interview for, and give it my all for every interview opportunity that is given to me.

My parents secretly think that yeah, I am stuck at college until I graduate.... I am just not one of those people who seem to just "get entry level jobs".

Once I complete my admin certificate and I operate at an advanced on computers, I will probably get a reception role after looking for months.

I think my biggest chance of landing a university job/part time role, would be to do as much unpaid work experience from now until college as possible in admin, and then apply apply apply for months and something will come up...

Oh and my five year plan is already planned out, so it is geared towards making recruiters see that I am driven and I have a plan, and their company is included in it (and it is not just a job to me)

How does podiatry relate to a five year plan with this company? Or are you just going to ignore that?

How does podiatry relate to a five year plan with this company? Or are you just going to ignore that?

I know people who do full time work plus studying for a degree and they are single mums with youngsters up to 5 years old.

It can be done.

• Like 2

Yes! I always get nervous, also what makes me more nervous is when there are at least 3 interviewers! No matter how much I rehearse/practice, I still mess up some of the answers.

• Author

Yeah I have come to enjoy interviews honestly. I love group interviews and I enjoy talking to the interviewer in face to face interviews.

I enjoy talking to the people. I don't over revise, I just go over my example I have of my delivering high quality customer service, of me working in a team and maybe one other viable example of the common questions, such as "where do you see yourself in five years"

I don't rehearse anything besides memorising a few straight forward and relevant examples as to how I performed the key things that the company is looking for.

Then I research the company on the train on my way to the interview, and during the interview I mention something I like about the company and perhaps I will ask them a question next time about something that pertains to the company that you could only find out through searching their website.

SO yeah. I have come to realise that being yourself, albeit looking professional and speaking clearly and coming across as confident, are key.

Companies all hire you based on your personality, essentially!

They already HAVE several people that poses the skill set they are after, in the end they are after a person who best fits into their brand.

I think I say everything they want to hear at this stage, they just don't see me as the best fit for their company, based on how I come across.

• Author

No one wants to hire a person who's only ambition is to become a retail assistant. They want people to aim high and be ambitious. The brightest and most driven folks generally become at least store manager.....

That is why my friend got hired at the bank! They said they liked her drive and admired the fact she wanted to go on to get a masters whilst working the job. They said they preferred ambitious and driven people who believed in education.

What do you suppose I should do? Lie and pretend that as a 28 year old, I actually want to remain a retail worker for my entire life?

Obviously I want to achieve a lot more than that career wise and I have a lot more going for myself than just ....getting a job as a retail worker and remaining in that job forever.

What I could do is.... rather than mention University, I could say " I aspire to the career development that your company mentions on the company website, and would enjoy taking on any online university courses that would compliment my standing in the company, since I have always wanted to further my education"

Wouldn't that ^^^ show that I am ambitious, driven and interested in attaining a higher education, but in such a way that would keep me IN the company?

• Author
Leigh,

I just logged in, so maybe I missed it - curious to know how the call centre interviews went.....

Hey, thanks for asking.

Well, I was successful in the first one, so I am not through to the final round on Monday. There are no tests, they just want to assess if our personalities would be a match for any of the various charities they represent.

if successful in the second assessment phase, I will start work that Monday.

The second interview for a call centre role was done by a recruiter for an agency that puts people forward into interviews for call centre roles, mostly for banks and Telstra/other major corporations!

They said they definitely have positions coming up that they feel would be a match for me, and they will put my resume forward for those positions. Whether or not the company wants to interview me is another question.

The recruitment agency supposedly has a lot of roles constantly on offer or coming up, so I am hopeful that I will at least secure a few interviews if I am not successful at obtaining the other call centre position which I find out about on Monday!

Lastly, I have another interview on Tuesday also if I don't get the call centre job. It is for an online college, and I would get 50K a year for that role if I was successful.

I really enjoy learning about educational courses ^^^ and I am genuinely interested in the role, in my spare time I talk a lot with my friends asking about their jobs.

The only thing I wouldn't like about the online college role, is that you are essentially there to get people to do courses even if they have little money and cannot afford it, it is your job to sell courses to people even if the course has literally a 0 chance of gaining them employment, you have to make out like they WILL get a job out of it - you have to say that they have a very fair chance of gaining employment through it.

The only thing I wouldn't like about the online college role, is that you are essentially there to get people to do courses even if they have little money and cannot afford it, it is your job to sell courses to people even if the course has literally a 0 chance of gaining them employment, you have to make out like they WILL get a job out of it - you have to say that they have a very fair chance of gaining employment through it.

I honestly wouldn't feel comfortable having that kind of job...it would be like scamming people. It would make me feel like I'm a bad person.

• Like 1
  • Author
I honestly wouldn't feel comfortable having that kind of job...it would be like scamming people. It would make me feel like I'm a bad person.

Well I am going for call centre roles because I would rather handle a l large volume of calls every day and sell people products in order to keep my job, than to work in childcare again, or to go into aged care which would guarantee me a job but I would have had to wipe bums literally several times per day. I also cannot go back into personal training for valid reasons, and I simply don't "have the knack" for hospitality based roles (trust me I have tried for a number of years, and some people are just not out for hospitality).

I would personally never tell someone that a qualification would "likely get them a job". I would rather say that "the qualification or certificate definitely increases the odds" which they do; every thing you put on your resume in the form of certificates or voluntary work, count a little bit.

I would then go on to say that " while NO qualification, even a University degree, makes it easy to gain employment these days, having this course on your resume is a lot better than not having it - the more things you are doing to develop skills the better, for instance, I am doing an online course too, and there are 300 applicants per job vacancy that is advertised... however, I know that the course will make me more employable even though it is hard for everyone right now to get a job"

Look, I really need a job, I know the areas I am not good at or that I hate, so I don't really have much to pick from; call centre roles are basically all I have to apply for, that and retail roles.....

• Like 1
  • Author

I have applied for over 50 jobs this weekend so far! They are all for call centre roles, offering from 23 - 25 dollars per hour. All full time and in the Sydney CBD, a few minutes away from public transport.

So fingers crossed that I get a barrage of calls next week, as I experienced the first time I sent my resume out to call centres - they all contacted me 9 am Monday lol. I turned down to interviews as I wanted to research what it would be like to work in a call centre (I didn't expect to be contacted immediately upon dispensing out my resume!)

I love talking to people but sometimes, due to my mild autism, face to face interactions don't always go to plan. However, I like to talk and I get along easily with people, so perhaps call centre work could be a job I do from not until college, to save some money.....

I never regret the phone interviews I have, they are the only thing interview wise - that I nail every time. I have never not gotten through a phone interview so perhaps talking over the phone is something that suits me better than face to face interactions?

Anyway, this is just a chance for me to work full time before college starts next year in March, as call centres have immediate starts due to high staff turnover.

Please, wish me luck and here's hoping I can make some money leading up to college next year, while also getting experience while I am at it.

You say that you wouldn't do aged care again, but if it's a "guaranteed" job and you don't get any of these other ones, isn't that better than not having any job at all? It's only for 6 months.

• Like 3
  • Author
You say that you wouldn't do aged care again, but if it's a "guaranteed" job and you don't get any of these other ones, isn't that better than not having any job at all? It's only for 6 months.

I cannot stomach wiping bums multiple times a day.

I'd rather do anything else.

• Author

People in aged care deserve workers who genuinly want to help them.

Some people love aged care. They're the kind of workers the elderly deserve.

I enjoy spending time and volunteering with the elderly but I would rather collect welfare while I look very rigorously for retail and call centre jobs than be forced into aged care simply because you're guaranteed a job in it.

If someone off the street or a friend came and asked me to work in an aged care role they had vacant, of course I would take it because people on benefits are obliged to accept whatever they can. I'd accept an aged care job if it were offered to me and if be grateful for the chance at earning some money that I could save towards my future.

However, I don't see why I should actively do a certificate in aged care which is required to get a job on the field simply because it's a guaranteed job.

There are also literally new retail and call centre jobs advertised daily, so I am applying for 40 jobs a day pretty much on the areas of retail and call centres......

I feel that I am trying hard enough to get work in those two areas and that I shouldn't HAVE to apply for roles that involve wiping people's bums all day if I choose not to. There are plenty of other jobs I have been applying for and scoring interviews for.

It's a bit harder to find work in retail than it is aged care, however, call centre work is just as easy to get into as is aged care.

I guess I'd rather call a bunch of people all day and harass them when they are in their own private homes, than to wipe the bums of ten elderly people per day.

I would be happy to wipe my parents bums when the times comes but not that of a strangers.......

If aged care paid 26 per hour I'd do it lol but frankly, poeple who wipe bums all day are grossly underpaid for the unpleasant tasks they have to do daily......

Is yeah.. For 17 an hour I wouldn't wipe a bum. For 26 per hour, I'd grin and bare it, whilst remaining very pleasant of course.

I am on my way to the final interview for the charity fundraiser call centre. If I am successful I'll start work today.

Edited by Leigh 87
Well I am going for call centre roles because I would rather handle a l large volume of calls every day and sell people products in order to keep my job, than to work in childcare again, or to go into aged care which would guarantee me a job but I would have had to wipe bums literally several times per day. I also cannot go back into personal training for valid reasons, and I simply don't "have the knack" for hospitality based roles (trust me I have tried for a number of years, and some people are just not out for hospitality).

I would personally never tell someone that a qualification would "likely get them a job". I would rather say that "the qualification or certificate definitely increases the odds" which they do; every thing you put on your resume in the form of certificates or voluntary work, count a little bit.

I would then go on to say that " while NO qualification, even a University degree, makes it easy to gain employment these days, having this course on your resume is a lot better than not having it - the more things you are doing to develop skills the better, for instance, I am doing an online course too, and there are 300 applicants per job vacancy that is advertised... however, I know that the course will make me more employable even though it is hard for everyone right now to get a job"

Look, I really need a job, I know the areas I am not good at or that I hate, so I don't really have much to pick from; call centre roles are basically all I have to apply for, that and retail roles.....

In the U.S., most elderly care jobs want you to have some type of experience working with elderly. Retail jobs are the easiest to get here, because they require minimal to no skills or experience.

• Like 1

I agree, if you can get a job doing something else, then you shouldn't have to do aged care.

But if you can't get a job elsewhere, then you should. If it's a guaranteed job, it's better than nothing.

Hopefully it will be irrelevant, but I'd say give yourself a time limit - say, a month - and if you haven't got anything by that point start applying for care jobs.

• Author

No I wont be applying for any care related roles, I am doing TWO online courses atm in community pharmacy and in business admin/ I DO NOT have time to do AGED CARE on top of my current study load!!!!!!!!!!

I don't need to apply for care jobs I am not going to starve. I use welfare for my food and transport, and my parents help with accommodation so I do not HAVE to take care jobs and have to pay for a certificate for a job I WILL HATE, when I am due to START COLLEGE soon anyways. A waste of money for my to invest in an aged care certificate when I am already doing enough to better myself in between now and college!

I got offered a job in the middle of Australia in a RESORT for 40 hours a week but DECLINED recently because I DO NOT WANT to sell my beautiful kitten and spend 6 months away from my partner!

I would rather take THAT JOB than wipes bums for a living, sorry. I deeply admire and respect those who do enjoy caring for the frail aged, though!

And I DO apply for plenty of jobs I wouldn't enjoy, I apply for call centre roles which I would DESPISE, and I will quit ASAP once I found a better job, which is more honest to the tax payers than NOT applying for said crappy jobs and awaiting a "good" role. I DO apply for crappy roles!

Would you want your mother to be looked after my a woman who RESENTS the job and HATES wiping her bum?

PLENTY of aged care workers DO NOT mind wiping bums, they just "do it" and they are not even phased! I love spending time with elderly and volunteer with them, I am just very averse to dealing with poo. I have never changed a toddler or babies nappy, poo disgusts me although blood and guts doesn't phase me in the slightest!

I have experience in child care and I am good with most kids and child care jobs are easy to get but I DON'T WANT to work with bratty toddlers ever again! SO aged care and childcare would likely land me a job but I would, quiet simply, rather work in a crappy call centre in the Sydney CBD than change crappy pants and nappies.

If it came to me either HAVING to pick aged care or childcare, or getting benefits taken away, I WOULD absolutely do one or both of the certificates!

but I am NOT being forced to do those two things - two jobs that I would need qualifications in order to do, when I am currently doing two certificates as it stands!

• Author
I agree, if you can get a job doing something else, then you shouldn't have to do aged care.

But if you can't get a job elsewhere, then you should. If it's a guaranteed job, it's better than nothing.

Hopefully it will be irrelevant, but I'd say give yourself a time limit - say, a month - and if you haven't got anything by that point start applying for care jobs.

You need a certificate three in aged care....

I have forked out my welfare money towards certificates which are partially funded.

Why should I pay more money towards an aged care certificate when I am currently undergoing two certificates already, in areas I would rather work than in aged care? In addition to looking for crappy jobs to tide me over until I get said jobs that pertain to my certificates?

I start full time college soon enough so I don't believe I should ever be "forced" into wiping peoples bums, it is not right to subject these frail aged people to workers who do not wish to be there.

I honestly do know nurses and aged care workers who LOVE their jobs so there are obviously plenty of people who should be working there, and people like me really shouldn't.