Listing race on job application

I just applied online at a major corporation. They had an optional section where you specify race, veteran, disability. Since corporations get tax breaks for hiring minorities, I left it blank because I believe it will at least get me to the next step whereas being white would disqualify me. Besides, I have a name that some might think is black. ;)

You know being female also falls into that bracket? It is based on EEO reporting. It doesn't necessarily give you an advantage if you fill it out or not.

• Like 1
Are they still allowed to ask that question? What difference does it make as long as one is qualified?

It's for tax credit purposes only.

The tax credit info only comes into play once they hire you. The Q has no valid legal place on an application.

• Like 1
The tax credit info only comes into play once they hire you. The Q has no valid legal place on an application.

It is on almost every application though.

I just applied online at a major corporation. They had an optional section where you specify race, veteran, disability. Since corporations get tax breaks for hiring minorities, I left it blank because I believe it will at least get me to the next step whereas being white would disqualify me. Besides, I have a name that some might think is black. ;)

Awesome ... so they get money to hire the 'right' ppl, 'all men are created equal' and all that ...