Classroom diss-aster

Okay, so I'm a teacher and I have a student who is almost twice my age. Anyway, I was making my way down the isle when I passed by her and she got startled. This had happened before with other students so I took my frustration out on myself by saying to the student "wow, I'm sorry, maybe I should work at a haunted house". To this she replied "nah, you're not that ugly" and a few people giggled, and there might even have been a "ooooooh" mixed in. I laughed and walked away. I set myself up perfectly for her and made myself look like a clown, now the students who heard it talk to me with a weird look on their faces and a weird tone, as if they are laughing at me. I have yet to talk to that student who shot me down. It's just the beginning of the semester and I have to deal with this. How do I approach her with a straight face?

I guess my biggest flaw is my personality. I hate myself and feel the need to grovel or apologize for myself wherever I go. I need to work on that.

Edited by Eddy Street

As a fellow teacher I can relate to your situation having to deal with sarcastic students. Some times are easier than others, because it all depends on the student and the way you set up the classroom environment as the teacher. Are you strict? Formal? Easily intimidated by sarcastic students with strong personalities? Do you ever use self-deprecation and humor to hook your students attention when they aren't paying attention?

Are you new to teaching or somewhat seasoned? If you're new to teaching, welcome to the classroom! The best way to deal with sarcastic students -- even ones twice your age -- is not to show your students that their personalities bother you.

Maybe this situation that happened is a blessing in disguise. It shows your students that you have a sense of humor, that you don't take yourself too seriously (because those kinds of teachers who do, quickly become the butt of students' jokes all the time). The funny looks you think they give you, is really just you feeling self conscious about what happened.

Your students probably like you and think you are funny b/c of your quick response about maybe going to work for a haunted house. Teachers who don't take themselves seriously, who can joke with students are students' favorite teachers. The reason why is obvious.

Unless a student threatens you in the classroom, the best way to respond to a student's sarcasm that's personally directed towards you the teacher, is to either respond with a harmless quip like you did, or just ignore it and move on with the lecture.

Do I think you need to confront this older student? No, why would you? She cracked a joke while in the moment. You responded in kind, with a funny self deprecating comment, and everyone in the classroom laughed. So what if your students whisper "hey there goes our teacher who could work in a haunted house."

The best way to win students' over is to make them laugh at you and with you. The only time you should ever confront a student if they disrupt the class. But if you teach college students, joking with the professor is par for the course. High school students antagonize their teachers to test the teacher's patience and boundaries. Middle school and primary school students are like walking sponges with no filters. Their jokes are harmless and should never be taken personally b/c they're just kids.

• Like 2

It sounds like your students like you quite a bit. I mean, I wasn't there, but I don't think students act that way with a teacher they dislike. It may not be the kind of dynamic you want, especially if you are super self-deprecating, because it will feel awkward and as though the students are in control. They are not. Even if they all joke about their awesome-ly apologetic teacher together, that'll give them something to be popular to each other about. And for that, they will love you.

Ignore the sarcasm, so they think you are oblivious like Clark Kent. Or do a little "huh," rumpled smile, like, "I guess you guys think that is funny, fine by me, now let's get on with the lesson shall we?" You think anyone who is being graded doesn't think about their own performance and their own ego first and foremost? That is part of the dynamic.

And I bet you a square dozen students in there think that the sarcastic one is obnoxious, and admire you for having the grace to ignore it. Treat it like a fart in a room full of polite company. Little smile if you can't ignore it, somewhat bemused, but the default is pretending it didn't happen.

I think you're overthinking. If I saw that interaction, I would forget it quickly. And if I were on the receiving end of it, it would also blow right by me quickly.

It just doesn't matter. She's older than you, so she probably feels more at liberty to treat you like a peer. Who cares though. Ultimately, you're the one with the power of the grade.

Self deprecating teachers have always put me more at ease, and to me that's a good quality.