How to dress for an outing but another ...

mortensorchid

A few weeks ago, I started a new job. I am a teacher, but I do not work for the school where I am assigned to. Instead I refer to it as an assignment, I work for a private company that outsources education needs to school systems because it's cheaper for them to outsource. But I digress...

This Friday we are having an outing. Since I am a staff member, I was invited along. One of the other teachers is in a musical and all on staff are going out to see him this Friday as a surprise. I agreed to it because I think it's important to do such things in this situation, to build positive relationships with your coworkers. And just for the record, I am nearly 40, worked in offices for 15 years, and know what and how people can be totally miserable. At my first ever job, I made a mistake of thinking that my coworkers were actually my friends and was far too friendly with them. An educational setting is a professional one as well, but the vibe is very different. As a teacher, in case no one has ever had the experience, you should dress as conservatively as possible so that no one gets the wrong idea. And I do with long sleeves, long skirts and pants.

So now that we are going to this event, I am going to be dressing down. Does one have a suggestion as to the most appropriate dress down for an outing like this? Now I am not crazy, not going to be all decked out in all the rock and roll heavy eye make up and boast about things questionable. But what is a good means in which to dress? Links to images would be much useful.

Plus, I may be totally off, but I sort of have a thing for this guy we are going to see on this evening. How can I look attractive enough for him to notice yet not too over the top slutty? Or is there such a thing? Or is that too difficult?

I'd wear nice slacks & a cardigan set -- shell & a button down sweater. Maybe pack some different jewelry for the day time v. the musical. If you will be driving to both, perhaps you can change your shoes before the musical too.

Pencil skirts look good on most women. They are professional and very hot, while not showing much leg. If you do a pencil skirt, make sure it hits you right at knee level, with barely a tiny bit of knee almost showing. That's where most people's legs narrow just before the knee and looks fashionable, neat, and shapely. JCrew and Banana republic have good ones in suiting. And I'd pair it with a very low, pointy heel if you can find one.

For the top, I always like a light v-neck sweater with nothing underneath, but not too deep a "V." That works best if you are relatively small-chested. I also find a wide, stretchy boatneck shirt is great, one that you can pull almost off the shoulders but not quite. If you go for button-up blouse tucked in, make it silk or a silk blend. Cuffed sleeves are sexy and professional.

But honestly, most men love jeans on women. A "bomber-style" sweater or any sweater with jeans will look great, just don't wear a t-shirt with jeans unless you pair it with a blazer.. And don't wear heels with jeans, do boots or flats. I still think belted jeans look fantastic and I wear mine all the time with a black tank top underneath a kind of see-through black button-up, demure and light and playful and doesn't show much skin.

Cardigan over tank with jeans is great too, as is a cropped blazer (if blazer with jeans, then I'd actually do a white t shirt and belt.)

Whatever you do, don't wear overalls and baggy clothes that make you look like you are swimming in them. I had a teacher who had an extremely gorgeous body and a face to match, and most of all we loved her for being an awesome teacher. :love: The sad part was that she looked like she was having trouble moving in it. :(

But then again, this might have just been her Do in flippin' the bird at the fashion police.

• Author
mortensorchid
Whatever you do, don't wear overalls and baggy clothes that make you look like you are swimming in them. I had a teacher who had an extremely gorgeous body and a face to match, and most of all we loved her for being an awesome teacher. :love: The sad part was that she looked like she was having trouble moving in it. :(

But then again, this might have just been her Do in flippin' the bird at the fashion police.

I would NEVER wear overalls. Not when I'm alive, not even when I'm dead. But thank you all for your suggestions.

• Like 1

I'd consider wearing flats if you have a nice walk. A nice walk kills men and is underrated by women. Heels often ruin a nice walk. Place your feet more in front of each other than you normally would, so that with each step, the hip goes out just a tiny bit more and also drops down. Pause at each step almost imperceptibly, like you're enjoying it, and don't move your torso or arms as much. Walk just barely more slowly than you would, but not enough so anyone would notice why you stand out. But don't do all that if it would make you self-conscious and be labored. If he already likes you, then you almost can't ruin it with an outfit. All you have to do in that case is make the tiniest showing that you like him too.