Recruiters and Personal Information

Smthn_Like_Olivia

I've recently been contacted by a recruiting firm and did a Skype Interview last week that went well, however, online reviews of this company have been less than stellar. Anyhow, the recruiter wants to forward my resume to a company that they think I'd be a good fit for. HOWEVER, the recruiter is wanting to me to complete one of THEIR applications and provide my SSN# and sign a consent form for a background check and credit check before I have even spoke with the employer. I'm not feeling really comfortable about giving out that information before I have even been offered employment.

In the place I work now, none of this information is asked for until a job offer has been made. Am I being over cautious or is this normal protocol? The recruiting firm is out of state as I'm looking to relocate.

• Like 2

I'm always hesitant when that sort of info is requested beforehand myself. It does happen and some employers do background checks before employment. However, how are they requesting this info? Are they asking you to send it online, by mail or etc? Unless I have actually had the chance to interview at company location, I'd be iffy about this too. What kind of reviews did this place have? I would simply tell them that you would prefer to give that information when an offer is made.

I think its a prescreening where they want to make sure to only recommended candidates who have already been screened and cleared.

As long as the recruiting firm has a solid reputation then Id think it was safe and seems legit.

I usually have no problem with providing this type of data, since many companies request it even before moving to the 2nd/3rd stages of interviews. I think you shouldn't be worried either. :)

It is important to note that there are a lot of MLM schemes out there in which they ask people to join chats to discuss the job and etc. Usually they are out of state. If the reviews are iffy as you said, I would trust your gut and move on.

UpwardForward

When I think about it, the jobs that were easiest to come by or get into - turned out to be the best.

The ones where they want to jerk you around - not.

• Like 1

It depends on the agency but I've worked with an employment agency recently and it's standard. Most employers that work with agencies/recruiters do it so the candidates they get have already been prescreened and ready to go and it saves them from doing all that background work. Additionally, some employers like to have candidates be hired with an initial probation period so the employee is paid by the agency for a certain amount of time, therefore the paperwork is necessary.

In the past there was one agency I did not fill out the paperwork because I didn't really like them and didn't feel they'd find a good fit for me but the one I worked with recently is well known in our area and it's worked out just fine.

After rereading the initial post, this is common for temp agencies. However, they should be directing you to an online application where you fill out this info, not ask for it over email or Skype. You can also do your homework on the agency to make sure it's legitimate.

• Like 1
I usually have no problem with providing this type of data, since many companies request it even before moving to the 2nd/3rd stages of interviews. I think you shouldn't be worried either. :)

I think it is appropriate (sort of, in Australia there is no SSN and credit checks are unheard of except as they relate to security clearance) prior to an offer but I would be uncomfortable handing this information over before even having my CV passed on to the employer.

It may go no where. When working with agencies I try to set up the expectation that these are two way discussions and the role may not be for me. In that case they don't need my personal info and referees before we have even spoken.

Sounds like they are trying to expedite the back end of the process.

In the US many states it is not legal any more to run background check information prior to an employment offer.

When should you conduct a background check? | Monster.com

Background Checks: What Employers Need to Know

We do not run background checks for our entire operations until an offer is made and signed. We never use recruiter's services and request our own through our own providers.

• Like 2
  • Author
Smthn_Like_Olivia

Well....against my better judgement, I decided to complete the forms and turn my info over. Things are crumbling under current management and I'm really wanting to relocate, so hopefully, this is a positive move in that direction. I sent the info on Monday afternoon and have not heard anything from the recruiter yet.

You have probably heard worse!

I have been asked whether or not I am single. Talk about unprofessional!

Also illegal...at least in the US it is.

I'm in the US and have had agencies contact me about jobs and want my info right away....over email too! I politely told them I would be happy to provide that info if an offer is made.

• Author
Smthn_Like_Olivia

I am really uneasy now. I emailed the form and my information back to the recruiter on Monday. Got a read receipt, no response, and no word or update since. To me, that in itself is unprofessional, but to request all my personal info and not even confirm or follow up does not bode well with me. If I don't hear something tomorrow, I will email and let them know that they do not have permission to do anything further with my resume, app, or personal info.

I am really uneasy now. I emailed the form and my information back to the recruiter on Monday. Got a read receipt, no response, and no word or update since. To me, that in itself is unprofessional, but to request all my personal info and not even confirm or follow up does not bode well with me. If I don't hear something tomorrow, I will email and let them know that they do not have permission to do anything further with my resume, app, or personal info.

Relax. You're freaking out over nothing...

As far as I can tell from what you've posted, the process so far has been quite standard.

Once you sent the information over, he had it checked and if everything was OK, he sent your resume to the company and waited for feedback. He may not have received feedback as to whether they're interested in you yet... some companies are slower than others. I've waited up to a week at this point. If you don't hear anything by next Monday, give the recruiter a call.

I've worked with dozens of recruiters and staffing companies and I assure you this is normal so far. Sure, he could've at least responded to you... but you say he sent a read receipt so in his mind, that's probably enough. Some recruiters are more hands-on, and yes... some are terrible. I've also worked with some fantastic recruiters who really care and put tons of effort in you.

By the way... a recruiting or staffing agency is NOT the same as a temp agency. Just to be clear. Staffing agencies often place their recruits in permanent roles with their clients. Temp agencies focus only on temporary assignments.

My husband's last two permanent roles were obtained through staffing agencies. The first was a straight hire where the company received a set percentage of his salary offer as a finder's fee. The second, he was employed through the agency for 3 months as part of the arrangement and then hired directly by the company. In either case, he had to give all his info to recruiters before his resume was sent over.

• Like 2

My husband's last two permanent roles were obtained through staffing agencies. The first was a straight hire where the company received a set percentage of his salary offer as a finder's fee. The second, he was employed through the agency for 3 months as part of the arrangement and then hired directly by the company. In either case, he had to give all his info to recruiters before his resume was sent over.

That's surprising as most temp agencies these days just make you feel easily disposable. It's just too easily to be out of a job from one day to the next.

That's surprising as most temp agencies these days just make you feel easily disposable. It's just too easily to be out of a job from one day to the next.

Indeed, that's how temp agencies are. As I described in my post, there's a huge difference between temp agencies and staffing agencies. Their purpose isn't the same.

However, also depends on the quality of applicant you are. Someone with skills that are difficult to obtain and find is less likely to find themselves out of a job overnight. Of course, this doesn't usually happen until you have a certain amount of experience and/or education. In the early 20s, most people are easily replaceable.

Indeed, that's how temp agencies are. As I described in my post, there's a huge difference between temp agencies and staffing agencies. Their purpose isn't the same.

However, also depends on the quality of applicant you are. Someone with skills that are difficult to obtain and find is less likely to find themselves out of a job overnight. Of course, this doesn't usually happen until you have a certain amount of experience and/or education. In the early 20s, most people are easily replaceable.

The staffing agencies in my area seem to be specialized in finding mostly temp or temp to hire work. Seems like very few staffing agencies find direct hire work.

• Like 1
The staffing agencies in my area seem to be specialized in finding mostly temp or temp to hire work. Seems like very few staffing agencies find direct hire work.

Well, it's not necessarily that they specialize in temp work... it's probably that temp assignments are most abundant. That's usually the case.

When you contact them, simply let them know that you're not interested in temp positions. I'd still go for contract to hire... they are a risk, yes, but they can be worthwhile.

• Like 1
  • Author
Smthn_Like_Olivia

I definitely spoke too soon. I was called this afternoon, and left a voicemail since I was at work and couldn't answer. She forwarded my info to the employer and discussed another position she thinks I'd be interested in. She said the first employer is cautious because I am out of state and they have had a few people flake out on them because they weren't serious about relocating, so she pitched her gameplan. She would like to have me fly out in a couple weeks and have a few interviews with different companies lined up for me, so they know I am serious about relocating and I have some different options on the table.

I have to admit, I'm impressed. I let her know my minimum salary requirements, and all the jobs she's lining me up for are above that range.

About 6 months ago when I started putting my resume out there and applying for jobs, I was getting nothing back. The leverage for me is that the state I'm looking to relocate to is 420 legal, so applicants that can pass drug screens are becoming fewer and fewer. As a result, employers are starting to look out of state. I'm really looking for a change of scenery, and the prospects are definitely starting to look good. :)

• Like 1

Not many agencies request all this information beforehand, but the ones who do are the best that I've come across. If you've made it past that stage and they're still putting you forward for positions then you're in a good place.

Recruiters don't always have a lot of time to go through multiple CV's, so those who are screened a little more intensely prior to being put forward is very handy indeed.

As for being put forward above your salary range- this is fairly standard practice. Agencies want to make as much money out of you as possible :)

• Like 1