Job Market and Business Degrees

I've been back to school for two weeks now. Everything is going great. I'm currently a Junior majoring in Marketing but I'm thinking about switching to Finance. I have one Finance class that I am taking and I seem to be more drawn to that area of study more than the Marketing classes.

I'm planning on finishing this semester with the current classes and see how I feel about it in December and possibly change majors then.

I'm curious what the current job market is looking like in regards to Marketing and Finance degrees.

Any insight on working in these fields is also appreciated.

• Like 1

To the best of my knowledge it's abysmal all over. The things that gives people a slight edge are outside of your undergraduate business degree. What else do you bring to the table? Are you bilingual? If not can you take more language classes before you graduate? Were you in the military so you can demonstrate strong practical leadership skills? Have you don't any internships so you have some experience doing something? If not, go get an internship, ASAP.

• Author
To the best of my knowledge it's abysmal all over. The things that gives people a slight edge are outside of your undergraduate business degree. What else do you bring to the table? Are you bilingual? If not can you take more language classes before you graduate? Were you in the military so you can demonstrate strong practical leadership skills? Have you don't any internships so you have some experience doing something? If not, go get an internship, ASAP.

No internships yet as I am returning after being gone for seven years but I do plan on one.

I know just having a Degree in whatever isn't enough but I do want to make sure the degree is in something that will interest me the most. That's why I'm trying to gather more information on those two fields.

Then whatever you have been doing for the past 7 years is what sets you apart from the other candidates.

FWIW, as I have owned my own business I am of the mindset that marketing isn't all that hard so I'm never impressed that someone has a degree in it. I took some continuing education classes, read a few best sellers & paid attention so I can market my business just fine, TYVM.

Finance on the other hand & the intricacies of the deals that is a learned skill which imho commands more respect & therefore more job opportunities than marketing.

Edited by d0nnivain

I was studying Real Estate when I changed my major to Business Management, because it's more versatile than a Real Estate degree. I ended up going into Marketing myself and I really enjoy it. However, if you have the math skills, Finance is a great option, especially if you want to become a CPA...they make really good money and it's high in demand. Sadly, I lack the math skills and accounting isn't my thing. With Marketing, if you are in a commission only based position, the sky is the limit with pay. I've seen people in multi-level marketing make over six figures without a degree. However, you have to be really extroverted and not get discouraged easily. You also have to work A LOT to have good income. That isn't me either. I'm in online marketing and I love it. I'll eventually go back to school with an MBA in Marketing. Marketing managers also usually make bank money if you take the time to grow your career.

Edited by pink_sugar
  • Author

I'm not sure I would be a fit for something that requires selling skills like Marketing. The creativity side of it seems to not come that natural to me and therefore, seems to be harder for me. I think my mind just works differently than what would be needed for that field. I'm in a Marketing Research and Sales Management class currently.

I've always had math come easily to me and I enjoy numbers...don't know how to explain it. I've been more interested on the financial side of things in the past years. The last time I was attending college I enjoyed my Economics classes the most...

I just have a feeling that Marketing may not be the best fit for me but at the same time I don't want to make any quick decisions without really thinking it through. I figured by the end of this semester I should have a better idea what I want to do.

• Like 2
I'm not sure I would be a fit for something that requires selling skills like Marketing. The creativity side of it seems to not come that natural to me and therefore, seems to be harder for me. I think my mind just works differently than what would be needed for that field. I'm in a Marketing Research and Sales Management class currently.

I've always had math come easily to me and I enjoy numbers...don't know how to explain it. I've been more interested on the financial side of things in the past years. The last time I was attending college I enjoyed my Economics classes the most...

I just have a feeling that Marketing may not be the best fit for me but at the same time I don't want to make any quick decisions without really thinking it through. I figured by the end of this semester I should have a better idea what I want to do.

Sounds like you're in the right direction. For me, creativity is my best trait and I apply it in all my jobs. I created my own website at 13 and thus managing online marketing analytics comes naturally to me, however, math does not.:p Good luck to you!

• Like 1

I haven't worked in Marketing but I do work in Finance and have done for almost 28 years.

I've worked my way up and an qualified by experience.

I know..just know that Marketing and sales would not be for me, never were and never would be.

If you are a 'terrier' (a phrase I have heard time and again referring to some in the finance sector - what it means is 'being curious and wanting to get to the bottom of why something happened, not only why but how it transpired, when and how it progressed, who was involved and what their involvement was') you will do well.

If you like to know about all aspects of a company and how all of the processes interlink Finance is a good choice.

Once you are out of the usual payable and receivable sides which is entry level up to managerial level (I have done both) it becomes much more interesting and you get much more involved in the planning, budgeting and how all the other departments work and run.

They say accountancy and finance is boring...and there are aspects to it that are in my opinion. Since moving on I love my work and the challenge it gives me.

You will need to have 'some' creative side to you but it's more about thinking outside the box and delving deeper (that terrier mentality). Using initiative, looking elsewhere if you can't find the answer.

Then again I study psychology for er.....fun! :laugh:

• Author
I haven't worked in Marketing but I do work in Finance and have done for almost 28 years.

I've worked my way up and an qualified by experience.

I know..just know that Marketing and sales would not be for me, never were and never would be.

If you are a 'terrier' (a phrase I have heard time and again referring to some in the finance sector - what it means is 'being curious and wanting to get to the bottom of why something happened, not only why but how it transpired, when and how it progressed, who was involved and what their involvement was') you will do well.

If you like to know about all aspects of a company and how all of the processes interlink Finance is a good choice.

Once you are out of the usual payable and receivable sides which is entry level up to managerial level (I have done both) it becomes much more interesting and you get much more involved in the planning, budgeting and how all the other departments work and run.

They say accountancy and finance is boring...and there are aspects to it that are in my opinion. Since moving on I love my work and the challenge it gives me.

You will need to have 'some' creative side to you but it's more about thinking outside the box and delving deeper (that terrier mentality). Using initiative, looking elsewhere if you can't find the answer.

Then again I study psychology for er.....fun! :laugh:

Would being a 'terrier' explain why it drives me completely mad when a movie never explains what happened leading up to the 'current' events that are happening...

I drive my H crazy wanting to know every. single. detail about things just so I know every possible outcome, reason, etc.

I do think I'm creative to a certain point but I just like how 'factual' numbers can be... does that make sense? lol.

But I am realizing that Marketing jobs (especially in my area) is going to be more professional sales than the other side of it. I don't like selling, I tried to be a Pampered Chef Consultant once and that was a disaster.

I'm sure I could learn how to be a salesperson and work my way through the ranks but I want to be honest with myself.

I will give it a semester and see where I stand. I may end up changing my mind back to Marketing, who knows.

But I do have an 'investigative' personality. I like always learning new things and seeing how it all started and worked together. If that's more suited for a Finance degree then I have something to think about.

ETA: I have a few Psychology classes I took because of my curiosity as well...

• Like 1
Would being a 'terrier' explain why it drives me completely mad when a movie never explains what happened leading up to the 'current' events that are happening...

I drive my H crazy wanting to know every. single. detail about things just so I know every possible outcome, reason, etc.

Yup! :)

I do think I'm creative to a certain point but I just like how 'factual' numbers can be... does that make sense? lol.

Factual? So rather than a number being just a number it relates to something real but also gives a basis for something..a reason...so hard to explain! Lol!

But I am realizing that Marketing jobs (especially in my area) is going to be more professional sales than the other side of it. I don't like selling, I tried to be a Pampered Chef Consultant once and that was a disaster.

Jamie Oliver stuff? Lovely stuff..no..I couldn't do it..I wouldn't even try!

I'm sure I could learn how to be a salesperson and work my way through the ranks but I want to be honest with myself.

I'm sure you could.

I know that I wouldn't want to now at 45.

But....you also mentioned job market in your first post.

In every company I have worked in the finance team are bigger than the marketing team.

Therefore there are more finance roles going in general.

I will give it a semester and see where I stand. I may end up changing my mind back to Marketing, who knows.

But I do have an 'investigative' personality. I like always learning new things and seeing how it all started and worked together. If that's more suited for a Finance degree then I have something to think about.

I would focus on whether your current semester allows you to investigate enough. You will do that a lot with marketing but for me a bit is missed as it goes upon general stats not personal ones. Finance is personal in many ways.

Investigating people is good...but we do that in finance too.I am at a level where I have to spot truth or honesty in a person (almost every day)...and have to go find the actual truth.

As I mentioned..this is good for either.

It depends really whether you base it on trend or a particular person/team.

The two are vastly different.

I work on person/team so get much much closer.

Love your thoughts here! )

I am on the analytics side of marketing...sales isn't my thing either. :laugh:

• Like 1
I am on the analytics side of marketing...sales isn't my thing either. :laugh:

How? Explain what you do.

You can't leave us not knowing! :laugh:

How? Explain what you do.

You can't leave us not knowing! :laugh:

I do online marketing...so I'm behind the scenes. I work with social media, online advertising, search engine optimization so businesses show up higher on places like Google. Basically promoting businesses online. :p I actually get a lot of people trying to get me into MLM. I usually have to explain that I don't do direct marketing, because online marketing is a whole other thing.:laugh:

• Like 1

Being in accounting and finance, numbers just numbers really. Crunching numbers are all done by computers and analytics.

What is valuable to people, goes beyond the numbers and the insight you can provide to people. Gone are the days when traders and investment banker selling each other up-- the industry will rapidly shrink and be prepared to work your ass off.

If you are looking for a lucrative field to use your marketing expertise, I would suggest industries like agriculture, healthcare, environment, and computing. These sectors have been and are the future.

• Like 1
  • Author
Being in accounting and finance, numbers just numbers really. Crunching numbers are all done by computers and analytics.

What is valuable to people, goes beyond the numbers and the insight you can provide to people. Gone are the days when traders and investment banker selling each other up-- the industry will rapidly shrink and be prepared to work your ass off.

If you are looking for a lucrative field to use your marketing expertise, I would suggest industries like agriculture, healthcare, environment, and computing. These sectors have been and are the future.

Great points, thank you.