How do you not feel depressed after constant job rejections?

I am having no luck with my current job search. It is starting to make me really depressed and I am getting really down on myself. I am starting to feel as if it would be easier to go back to my part-time job I worked during college and just ask for a full time position. It wasn't the best job but it paid decent and I made my own schedule.

Anyways my question is how do you stop feeling so depressed and down on yourself when you are constantly getting rejections from every place you apply/interview at?

I also have on one more question unrelated to the one above. Does a company usually only check references when they are interested in making a job offer or will they sometimes do it for multiple candidates to decide which one would be best suited for them?

littleplanet

Not necessarily a bad idea to reclaim your old job for the time being. It will make you feel useful, and give you a sense of a working life, at least.

And don't beat yourself up so much.

There are huge numbers of people out there having no better luck than you.

And many of them are doing everything right. This isn't an automatic ticket to deadbeat city.

What it is in fact, is a lousy economy and a rotten job market (being constantly tapped into by ever-increasing competitors....whose credentials constantly rise.)

As to reference check: Companies of course, use this as a pre-screen. They have to narrow down the pile of applications somehow.

Back to your previous job: What's not to like about decent pay and your own schedule? Flexibility and workable income can do wonders.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I hear you. For me it's rejection after getting the job. So far, two of my recent jobs let me go because one decided they wanted someone more experienced, because they didn't want to take the time to train and the other decided they didn't have enough work for me and preferred to hire someone real estate licensed. And I got let go last Dec due to a bankruptcy. I am no longer going to feel obligated to another employer. They want notice of resignation from you, yet they can leave you high and dry for any reason. I'd rather not be hired than to just feel easy to dispose of if they change their mind.

In my experience, references were only done after offer was made or they were interested in hiring me. My last few jobs didn't do any reference checks at all.

Edited by pink_sugar