Flirty co-worker now flaky and excuse laden

I am not a strong advocate of inter-office romances or casual sex between co-workers but I am certainly not against them either. When the rules and boundaries are set and both parties are on the same page about the relationship, I have no problems with it.

There's this woman who was with the company a few years before I started. I was introduced to her through another co-worker in my immediate department. The subject woman gave me her number inside a month of being employed and only after seeing me at work less than 3 times.

We chatted on and off in the hallways about meeting up for lunch, having drinks after work or catching up on the weekend. We both kinda mutually suggested getting together but nothing ever happened. I even rang her number a couple of times and left her a message to see how she was doing.

No response.

Months and months go by and I see her once in the hallway and she tells me again that she would like to catch up for lunch, dinner, drinks, whatever. I politely agree and tell her that I would call her and send an email, so I did both.

No response again but here's a twist. Her office co-worker contacts me and tells me that the woman in question has taken some time off to deal with a personal situation. No biggie. Weeks after this I see her with a man on her arm(no worries from me whatsoever) and she does her best to avoid eye contact with me.

The last thing she did was email me back telling me that she's too busy to respond to my calls and much too busy to respond to my emails. So, I think nothing of it, cut her out and continue to go about my business at work as if I never met her. When someone tells me that they are too busy to return a phone call or an email, I believe they are trying to distance themselves in a polite way.

After the fact, I've seen her a couple of times since and totally avoided making eye contact with her. I even tried to avoid crossing paths with her. Now after all this, she's a little ticked at me but I really don't care. My thick skin has told me that I shouldn't be as cordial to this person who couldn't return a simple phone call or email.

todreaminblue

Explain to me please trane, why another's bad behaviour or lack of etiquette or courtesy, should affect you to change your normal cordial behavior to a behavior that is less than how you would normally afford another?