What is up with this recruiter? Was she rude?

A recruiter called me yesterday and left me a message, then she said to reply to her email and tell her what times I'm available to talk on the phone today. I also called and left her a message. I email her and told her I'm available throughout the day, she didn't reply back today, so I emailed her again today and no response. Then I called her again today, she answered, and basically had no clue who I was, didn't seem interested at all and asked if I replied to her email, ummm, hello I emailed her twice..she's like, "oh, I see your email." She just said right now isn't a good time for her. Then asked me if I was available in the afternoon tomorrow. I told her yes. I'm like wth? Now why didn't she just email me? And if she didn't have time, why would she asked me when i'm available today? She just brushed it off like it was no big deal.

It doesn't seem like you even gave her time to respond to you. She's probably not just sitting around waiting for e-mails from people and could've had any number of other appointments or things going on this morning. I think you should've been more patient.

A recruiter called me yesterday and left me a message, then she said to reply to her email and tell her what times I'm available to talk on the phone today. I also called and left her a message.

You should've followed her directions and only e-mailed.

I email her and told her I'm available throughout the day, she didn't reply back today, so I emailed her again today and no response. Then I called her again today,

It doesn't seem like you gave her much time to even respond. I don't know where you are located, but it's only early afternoon here. And you called again, even though she told you to e-mail.

she answered, and basically had no clue who I was, didn't seem interested at all and asked if I replied to her email, ummm, hello I emailed her twice..she's like, "oh, I see your email."

This sounds like she had been away from her e-mail and hadn't seen your two e-mails.

She just said right now isn't a good time for her. Then asked me if I was available in the afternoon tomorrow. I told her yes. I'm like wth? Now why didn't she just email me? And if she didn't have time, why would she asked me when i'm available today? She just brushed it off like it was no big deal.

It's possible that something came up for her, that she had been dealing with other appointments or meetings and hadn't seen your e-mail, etc. I think you should try to be more patient.

• Like 1

She's probably recruiting for several positions....perhaps as many as a dozen....and has email nibbles out to a hundred or more people. It's not like a friend who's calling you, and you alone. I don't see that she did anything rude.

• Like 1
  • Author

Yeah, but if she was able to answer the phone, then surely she must have heard her phone messages including mine and probably ran it through her head that I emailed her back...why would I just sit around waiting for an email when I can pick the phone and call.

Yeah, but if she was able to answer the phone, then surely she must have heard her phone messages including mine and probably ran it through her head that I emailed her back...

It's possible that she had just gotten back to her desk and hadn't had a chance to check her messages yet.

why would I just sit around waiting for an email when I can pick the phone and call.

Because she told you to e-mail?

• Like 1
Well, whatever her excuse is, she's an unprofessional recruiter. NEXT!!!!!

You're "nexting" someone that is helping you find a job? She's probably very busy. You can't fault her for not getting back to you right away. It's not like you're doing her any favors.

Yeah, but if she was able to answer the phone, then surely she must have heard her phone messages including mine and probably ran it through her head that I emailed her back...why would I just sit around waiting for an email when I can pick the phone and call.

For one, because it was inconsiderate. She specifically asked you to email her. I work in an extremely busy office. I can respond to 5 or more emails in the time it takes to handle just one by phone. In addition to responding to inquiries, I have other work to do &, at times, I don't even answer the phone

And how does picking up the phone indicate that she had time to listen to her VM or read all of her email? You have no idea how many messages she may have received prior to yours--or what other tasks she had to complete and interviews to conduct.

Geeze.

She may have just gotten back to her desk. Quite frankly, listening to voicemail is not my top priority. I prefer email as I can multi task while emailing someone. IF she asked you to respond via email, that is what you should have done, and that's it. Following directions is part of any job requirement. Many recruiters use various exercises to see if a candidate would be viable for a job.

Well, whatever her excuse is, she's an unprofessional recruiter. NEXT!!!!!

You gave her NO time to respond. You are not the only person she is recruiting. I could see if this was something that had gone on for days but we are talking hours and you got impatient. Your 'job' should be making a good impression in order to be considered to come in for an interview. Your lack of patience is a bad mark, in my view.