company not allowing time for two week notice

I have been recently offered a job that I have really wanted. To me this could be a place I could see myself staying at long term and being happy. Almost everything about this place is just what I want in a job.

The only problem I have is they want me to start next Monday. This would mean I would have to quit my current job without giving a two week notice. This is not something I feel comfortable doing. I feel that it is unprofessional. How exactly should I handle this?

My current job is only part time so I was wondering if it would be a good idea to ask the place that offered me a job if I could come in and start my training during my time off from my current job and once my two week notice is up I could move into the full time position.

I am just not sure how to handle this since I thought most places would allow someone two weeks time to let their current job know they are leaving.

I think you should tell the hiring manager that you don't feel right leaving your current employer without 2 weeks notice. Your suggestion seems to be a good one. Also talk to your PT manager; Can they alter your schedule for 2 weeks so you can work there after your new job?

• Like 2

I've always had a new company that hired me expect me to provide 2 weeks notice to my current employer, and accommodate that when providing a start date.

Are you in the US? Since Monday is a holiday for us, if you are that would make me think this new place wants you to start almost immediately because they are short handed and expect to be busy over the holiday. Just a thought.

You and d0nnivain both have good suggestions for how to deal with this.

• Author

Are you in the US? Since Monday is a holiday for us, if you are that would make me think this new place wants you to start almost immediately because they are short handed and expect to be busy over the holiday. Just a thought.

I think the reason they want me to start so quickly is the hiring process took a long time and now the person they were looking to replace has left.

Monday they are only open for half a day so working on Monday wouldn't be an issue since my current job is closed that day.

As for them changing my schedule at my current job I am not sure if they will be able to do this. They are a very small company with only a few employees so everyone's schedule is kind of set.

I'm just hoping that the hiring manger will allow me to do my suggestion. He seems to be very responsible and understanding so it did come as kind of a shock that he said he wanted me to start right away. I won't know until tomorrow though because he had to leave for a personal emergency for the rest of the day.

I commend that fact that you're trying to be considerate to both employers! Is there any chance your current employer would say 'never mind the two weeks, just go'? I've had this happen to me more than once, they didn't want me around knowing I was leaving. Of course, those were transitional jobs in which I was expendable.

You and Donni both have great ideas, I hope it works.

Good luck in your new position!

• Like 1

Will it have much impact on your current employer if you leave so soon? Will you need a reference from them in the future? Either way, talk to your current manager and apologize for leaving with short notice, because otherwise it may jeopardize your new job. If the new job is secure and the offer won't be withdrawn (is it in writing? is there a firm start date specified? will they suffer if you don't start when asked?), give the standard notice - the new company will adjust and most likely soon forget about it.

Of course, someday when it comes time to move on again, you could give your new employer the same consideration as they want you to give your current employer. Most employers won't give YOU any notice if they terminate you, and giving an employer two weeks' notice is for their benefit but may help secure a good reference if needed. If you do need a reference, ask for one in writing now, and also ask if future employers can call them for more information.

I commend that fact that you're trying to be considerate to both employers!

I couldn't agree more... good for you...

If they can't do 2 weeks then try and get one week or as much as they will give you...many times one week is when the real important crossover training would happen anyhow..

• Like 3
I commend that fact that you're trying to be considerate to both employers! Is there any chance your current employer would say 'never mind the two weeks, just go'? I've had this happen to me more than once, they didn't want me around knowing I was leaving. Of course, those were transitional jobs in which I was expendable.

You and Donni both have great ideas, I hope it works.

Good luck in your new position!

Exactly this. First and foremost, do what you can...either tell your new employer that you really would prefer to give 2 weeks notice to your current employer...or see what they can do to work your training around your current work schedule until 2 weeks is up at your current job. If all else fails, you have to sit down and think about the following: How likely are you to return to your current employer? Do you enjoy working there? What prompted you to move on to a new job? Your current position is part time, I'm assuming this new position is full time? Does the new job have more opportunities and better pay than the small company you work for? If it really is a much better opportunity and they really do need you to start asap, I would probably try and see what notice you CAN give...even if it's a week or etc. But say you make $10 an hour and the new job is paying $20...you probably would regret turning down the job if they didn't allow you 2 weeks notice. But honestly this should have been discussed prior to the offer. They should have asked you when you could start and base their hiring decision around that if they really need someone immediately. However, if they REALLY want you...they will wait the 2 weeks. If you turn them down, it's likely they won't have someone starting by Monday anyways.

• Like 1

Congratulations on being offered the job!

My main concern is that if this company is aware that you need to give two weeks' notice to your present employer, they are expecting you to break a contract. Breaking a contract is illegal and you could be sued. What kind of company puts that pressure on a new employee?

I would have told them I can't do that as I am contracted to work until X. If they insisted, then I would have felt very annoyed with them. I would not want to work for a company that has no respect for others' boundaries. They are not respecting your boundaries or those of your previous employers. Be very wary of what you are getting into!

Congratulations on being offered the job!

My main concern is that if this company is aware that you need to give two weeks' notice to your present employer, they are expecting you to break a contract. Breaking a contract is illegal and you could be sued. What kind of company puts that pressure on a new employee?

I would have told them I can't do that as I am contracted to work until X. If they insisted, then I would have felt very annoyed with them. I would not want to work for a company that has no respect for others' boundaries. They are not respecting your boundaries or those of your previous employers. Be very wary of what you are getting into!

The majority of employment in the U.S. is "at-will" which means either party (employee or employer) can terminate the employment at any time with or without reason. The employee is not required to give notice, but it's something you should try to do if you wish to remain on good terms.

• Author

If I leave my current job without giving a notice it would be a huge problem for them. The employee who has been there the longest just put in her notice this past week. So next week will be her last week and they still have not found someone they like to replace her.

I am supposed to go meet with the hiring supervisor tomorrow to go over everything. I am hoping he will allow me to give two weeks notice to my current job, even if it means I have to work both for two weeks.

As for my current job, it is very unlikely that I would ever return there. I do not enjoy working there and took the job because I wanted the experience to help me in the future. I was not planning on getting an offer from this company since I had interviewed with them such a long time ago.

The pay would be a substantial increase and would have much better benefits and hours.

I guess I will have to wait and see what happens tomorrow when I go in to talk to him.

• Like 1
If I leave my current job without giving a notice it would be a huge problem for them. The employee who has been there the longest just put in her notice this past week. So next week will be her last week and they still have not found someone they like to replace her.

I am supposed to go meet with the hiring supervisor tomorrow to go over everything. I am hoping he will allow me to give two weeks notice to my current job, even if it means I have to work both for two weeks.

As for my current job, it is very unlikely that I would ever return there. I do not enjoy working there and took the job because I wanted the experience to help me in the future. I was not planning on getting an offer from this company since I had interviewed with them such a long time ago.

The pay would be a substantial increase and would have much better benefits and hours.

I guess I will have to wait and see what happens tomorrow when I go in to talk to him.

Good luck and let us know what happens. Please do keep in mind that an employer wouldn't hesitate to let someone go if it's in the best interest of the company. You don't owe them anything, but you can try to give as much notice as possible. I'm sure it will work out. Think positive!

• Like 1

What happened, OP? Just remember not to turn down the other job prospect even if you cannot give a full 2 week notice. I was very loyal to my most recent employer...looking for other work on the side so I wouldn't leave them high and dry after just a couple months for a full time position. They ended up leaving me high and dry and now I regret not looking for full time opportunities sooner. Thank goodness for my second job.

• Author
What happened, OP? Just remember not to turn down the other job prospect even if you cannot give a full 2 week notice. I was very loyal to my most recent employer...looking for other work on the side so I wouldn't leave them high and dry after just a couple months for a full time position. They ended up leaving me high and dry and now I regret not looking for full time opportunities sooner. Thank goodness for my second job.

I'm going in tomorrow. The hiring manager had to be gone today. His sister was in the hospital so he asked if I could come in on Friday, since he wanted to be there with her. I'll let you guys know tomorrow. I'm hoping he will be willing to work with me.

• Author

So I went in yesterday but the hiring manager was still out with his sister. The lady I talked to said two weeks would be no problem, and if I want I can start my training early. She said I can start coming in on my time off from my current job. She also said if I would rather wait I can.

• Like 1

Since the lady you talked to said it was ok I suggest you start coming in on your time off from your current job. You don't want to wait and have this new company get distracted and change their mind about you. Plus the hiring manager has a lot of his plate with his sister and he may forget what he's previously told you or not told you which is understandable. This way if you've already started and the other staff are getting you situated it'll be one less thing he has to think about. If the lady wasn't HR just ask her when it would be ok to meet with them to sign official paperwork. Make sure that's done before you put in notice at your current job.

• Author
Since the lady you talked to said it was ok I suggest you start coming in on your time off from your current job. You don't want to wait and have this new company get distracted and change their mind about you. Plus the hiring manager has a lot of his plate with his sister and he may forget what he's previously told you or not told you which is understandable. This way if you've already started and the other staff are getting you situated it'll be one less thing he has to think about. If the lady wasn't HR just ask her when it would be ok to meet with them to sign official paperwork. Make sure that's done before you put in notice at your current job.

I am going in on Tuesday so I can start my training. They are open on Monday, but she told me to take that day off and enjoy my holiday, and if I want I can start my training on Tuesday. She said she will get all the documents ready for me to sign when I come in on Tuesday. So I guess I will put my two weeks in at my current job on Tuesday.

• Like 1

The problem with the new job not wanting to give you 2 weeks is that they will not give you 2 weeks notice if things do not work out.

• Like 1
The problem with the new job not wanting to give you 2 weeks is that they will not give you 2 weeks notice if things do not work out.

Most employers won't give two weeks notice when laying off or firing an employee, anyway. I've witnessed computers being locked while the employee was told their position was no longer needed. They were given a couple hours to box up their stuff and that was that.

• Like 1
Most employers won't give two weeks notice when laying off or firing an employee, anyway. I've witnessed computers being locked while the employee was told their position was no longer needed. They were given a couple hours to box up their stuff and that was that.

My husband and I were talking about exactly this earlier today. IMO, you don't owe an employer anything, because in 99% of cases you will get no notice. The exceptions are usually of you are in a company for many years and you are being laid off. My husband's stepdad got a month's notice that his position was being liquidated.

• Like 1

When the time comes to fire an employee, it needs to be done quickly and privately. Although it is best to have 2 management people during the termination. One person fires them, and the other person is a witness to the proceedings. I usually do the termination immediately after they arrive to work. I do not have a discussion, just tell them they are being terminated. There final check will be ready in 24 hours, and will be given to them when all keys, tools, tech manuals and code books, cell phone and work clothing have been turned in. All that stuff is to be in good shape and not destroyed. They can use a cell phone to call someone to take them elsewhere. That is it! No explanations, no discussion. Some times I will tell them at anything charged to the business will be treated as theft and they will be prosecuted.

Firing someone is a terrible thing, but I have to balance the well-being of the business and other employees against someone who cannot/willnot do what is needed to build the business. And sometimes, I have really enjoyed firing someone. Often I have had other employees ask why the termination did not happen earlier.

When the time comes to fire an employee, it needs to be done quickly and privately. Although it is best to have 2 management people during the termination. One person fires them, and the other person is a witness to the proceedings. I usually do the termination immediately after they arrive to work. I do not have a discussion, just tell them they are being terminated. There final check will be ready in 24 hours, and will be given to them when all keys, tools, tech manuals and code books, cell phone and work clothing have been turned in. All that stuff is to be in good shape and not destroyed. They can use a cell phone to call someone to take them elsewhere. That is it! No explanations, no discussion. Some times I will tell them at anything charged to the business will be treated as theft and they will be prosecuted.

Firing someone is a terrible thing, but I have to balance the well-being of the business and other employees against someone who cannot/willnot do what is needed to build the business. And sometimes, I have really enjoyed firing someone. Often I have had other employees ask why the termination did not happen earlier.

This is precisely what I have witnessed, although it was a mass lay-off, and not a firing, of 5-10 employees, some of whom had been at the company for over ten years. A couple of the employees did not take it well at all. It was a sad, quiet day.

My husband and I were talking about exactly this earlier today. IMO, you don't owe an employer anything, because in 99% of cases you will get no notice. The exceptions are usually of you are in a company for many years and you are being laid off. My husband's stepdad got a month's notice that his position was being liquidated.

I think another exception is if you need or want a reference in the future. If you leave without notice then the company will likely decide you are not eligible for rehire and could say that if a future employer calls for a reference. If you may need them in the future then don't burn a bridge. Offer 1-2 weeks notice, finish up any projects, leave clear notes on what is not completed and why, pack your things, and then leave.

I also would say its rare for employers to notify employees in advance of a lay off. Generally you show up to work one day and are later called in for a meeting where you're told you're no longer needed and to pack your stuff and go. I always hated having to waste my time coming to work in the first place.

This was the one thing I absolutely loved about temp agencies. They would always call in the early evening after you'd finished your shift, say your assignment was ended earlier than expected, and ask if you left any personal items they would need to collect. I was smart and never left anything so it was a clean break.

• Like 1