Best time(s) of year to job hunt?

This might only apply to large corporations but I recall reading somewhere that it had to do with when a company does their budget planning. They need to know how much money they will have to hire or if there will be layoffs. So is it better or worse to job hunt before the end of the year or at the beginning of next year?

This might only apply to large corporations but I recall reading somewhere that it had to do with when a company does their budget planning. They need to know how much money they will have to hire or if there will be layoffs. So is it better or worse to job hunt before the end of the year or at the beginning of next year?

Depends on the company's fiscal year doesn't it?

Government fiscal year starts October 1.

In my experience, there is often hiring before the end of the fiscal year when there is money left over, in addition to the beginning-ish when there is plenty of money in the budget.

Well, all I know is that the worst time of the year to job hunt is during the holiday season...Thanksgiving and Christimas...this is what I heard.

HeartDesires
Well, all I know is that the worst time of the year to job hunt is during the holiday season...Thanksgiving and Christimas...

Except if you are seeking part-time positions in retail...then those would be the best times.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Author

In my experience, there is often hiring before the end of the fiscal year when there is money left over, in addition to the beginning-ish when there is plenty of money in the budget.

My company recently announced massive layoffs were coming at all levels across the board. So I wonder if I should only job search at other companies.

I definitely believe there are BAD times of year to job-hunt for high-end jobs in Big Corporations; many people in decision-making positions are on extended vacations from mid-July through the end of August (when they have to get back home to get their kids back to school).

The November/December things really only applies to retail; these folks are doing their hiring in August and September.

And, what others have said, much may depend on their fiscal year dates.

• Like 2
My company recently announced massive layoffs were coming at all levels across the board. So I wonder if I should only job search at other companies.

I certainly would.

Uhm because of work load increasing during summer for most companies and whatnot.

I notice hireing goes well around March-May and then maybe august as others have mentioned WHY.

Late summer to new year, vacations and whatnot, not so great.

I would say Q1 and Q2 for most companies are ideal times.

Q1 because of calendar year budgets kicking in and a LOT of companies use Q's 3 and 4 for budget planning for the following year... so the forecasts can include new positions for hiring.

Q2 because it's leading into the summer, which for some companies is their boom.

I'd say the worst is probably Q3.

• Author

If jobs are posted now at another company I figure I am safe. I'd hate to change jobs at my own company and find out my boss's head was on the chopping block. Happened to a friend of mine. She quit her job and two months later her boss was fired. Her previous boss tried to discourage her from taking the position because he knew but obviously had to keep it confidential.

Also when layoffs come, people will be scrambling to the competition so I had better get there first

If jobs are posted now at another company I figure I am safe. I'd hate to change jobs at my own company and find out my boss's head was on the chopping block. Happened to a friend of mine. She quit her job and two months later her boss was fired. Her previous boss tried to discourage her from taking the position because he knew but obviously had to keep it confidential.

Also when layoffs come, people will be scrambling to the competition so I had better get there first

Not sure what you meant by that first part, but mass layoffs are a very bad sign. Start sending in those applications. If you do get let go, at least then you'd qualify for unemployment benefits. Don't quit unless another job is lined up. Be sure you also keep quiet about the job hunt.