Company policy to tell your current boss you're applying for a different job?

Is it common for a company to have a policy that if you are applying for a different position within the company, you are obligated to inform your current supervisor?

This is my company's policy and I find it awkward at best, and potentially sabotaging to the employee at worst. I always have felt that discretion was the rule of the game when applying for a new job, and that to do so was your right.

I just got some flack in a job interview for not telling my current supervisor I was applying. They zeroed in on it so much that I'm afraid it will jeopardize my getting offered the job (it's now between me and one other candidate).

It is weird if you're applying for work for a different company, but if it is within the same company, that doesn't shock me much as they will find out anyways. They will probably need to find someone else to replace you before you switch positions.

Every professional job I've worked at had an explicit policy on transfers, and it involved the supervisor being informed. It would be unusual in my eyes NOT to be required to tell. Typically your current manager will have absolute veto power over whether you will be allowed to take that internal transfer. The only exceptions would be union or civil service jobs, where transfer rights are often protected by contract, or very small employers without a lot of written policies.

• Like 1

It's been the same in every company that I have worked in.

It's never been detrimental in my experience and I have moved around between roles and departments in companies on a few occasions.

It seems like a good policy to me, if you are moving within the same company then it would be best for the company if they could prepare for the move, you are after all still working for the same company and having the company's best interests up their with yours keeps you in the 'company person' type rather than someone who hasn't got the company's best interest at heart.

It's all good...

• Author

Well, in that case do you think I jeopardized getting offered this job because it's known I didn't tell my current supervisor?

The really bad thing is that I applied a few months ago for an internal opening and I didn't know I was supposed to inform my current supervisor until the VP interviewing me said it was company policy. So I went back to my current supervisor, apologized and explained that I didn't know, and I am sure he left that conversation trusting that I would tell him the next time I applied for something within the company.

But the truth is, yes, I'm not satisfied in my current position, and I didn't tell my current supervisor because I don't want him to know. He has put me and everyone before me who has had this role in a difficult position in that he doesn't give any room to grow or advance in the position. It's an admin position and he basically just wants someone to sit and do the job to the job description and he had told me in my interview that he didn't want someone who would just leave in a year. Basically all the people before me in this position left after one year. I think that is a) unfair and b) unrealistic if you are hiring intelligent, ambitious young people to expect that they will be content to stay in an admin role indefinitely--and one that is hourly and only 11 months out of the year, at that.

So we are at cross purposes, and that is why I didn't want to tell him, this time despite KNOWING the company policy. I want to hang on to this job because jobs are scarce here and so I don't want to jeopardize it while I have it.

To me, the policy doesn't make sense, because what if you are seeking to move to a different department within your company because you don't get along with your current supervisor? If your current supervisor doesn't like you and knows you are looking elsewhere within the company, than s/he could use that as an impetus to find a reason to fire you. I know that won't happen in my case, but it's an awkward position I'm in to feel like I can't create anxiety that I'll eventually move on, but then I'm in a position that has no growth opportunities, or opportunities to take on new responsibilities. I tried to seek out new responsibilities for myself this summer, and all I got was more admin busy-work :confused:.

I left it with the two VPs who interviewed me that I will tell my current supervisor first thing Monday morning that I applied. So I'm bound to that, but now it will certainly look bad to my current supervisor that I only told him after completing THREE rounds of interviews. The thing is, I had no idea they would require three rounds of interviews. Additionally, I'm not certain I would take the position if it was offered to me; I'm not convinced it's the right move or right fit.

So I just feel in a sticky situation all round and I'm not sure how best to handle it.

If it's company policy to tell your supervisor about an internal application & you violated that policy yes, I think that will adversely affect both your chance to get the new job & possibility your ability to keep your old job.

I don't think you 'ruined' anything, if he says anything about not being happy and why didn't you bring it up then tell him something soothing to the situation instead of inflaming it, "it isn't you type of thing."

The first time you weren't aware. This time you were.

You could be viewed as someone who side steps procedures for your own benefit.

It also shows a lack of respect for your boss too.

Those two things are not the best of impressions to make.

It's possible you might even get a verbal warning on your record over it.

It doesn't matter that you aren't keen on your current role and you feel your boss stifles you. He'll have a head count that he is allowed and which is budgeted for. If he has no further head count for someone else to take on your role and you to move on there's nothing he can do about that.

As you say times are tough and jobs are scarce. It's tough for employers too.

WesternWizard

It's complicated.

Here in the state of CA, if you're currently enrolled in some kind of education, your employer can't fire you or lay you off for that reason.

And what about if you're leaving to become self-employed (like I'm planning to do this winter)? TTBOMK your employer can't legally tell city hall or the state licensing board or whoever to deny you a business license.

That's why working for someone else sucks, and I have NO sympathy for people who have no ambition and just want to be peons.

• Author

Ok, so I messed up.

And unfortunately, it probably could be said to be true of me, that I chafe against organizational procedures and regulations that I think are unfair. I do aim always to conduct myself with integrity and I think others would confirm this, but I tire of a slavish fidelity to rigid HR policies in particular that tend not to have the employee's best interests truly at heart. I admit my attitude was that I am just exploring options; I wasn't even sure I was interested in this position and never anticipated it would take them three lengthy interviews to arrive at a decision; and I felt I had a right to explore confidentially, without unnecessarily alarming my boss. In a twisted way, I honestly believed I was doing the "right" thing, for me, for the boss, for the company.

So how do I right this situation? Is the damage irreparable or is there a way I can keep everyone's good opinion of me? No matter what I am bound to come clean to my boss tomorrow morning. My thought was that when I told him, I'd then write the two VPs who interviewed me and inform them that I took care of the situation and...then what? Apologize for any inconvenience? I don't want to be over the top; I feel like matter-of-fact approach would be best?

• Author
no. a resignation letter/ thank you letter is in order

Resignation letter? Why? I haven't been offered the other job yet and I have no intention of leaving my current job otherwise.

I would talk to your immediate supervisor 1st thing tomorrow. Apologize for not mentioning it sooner. Thank him/her for giving the chances in your current position that enabled you to grow & be ready for the next challenge. Find a way to show how this change would benefit your supervisor & then get that person to talk to the VPs.

When you write the thank you note to the people who interviewed you make it clear to them that you have now complied with the disclosure policy.

• Author
I would talk to your immediate supervisor 1st thing tomorrow. Apologize for not mentioning it sooner. Thank him/her for giving the chances in your current position that enabled you to grow & be ready for the next challenge. Find a way to show how this change would benefit your supervisor & then get that person to talk to the VPs.

When you write the thank you note to the people who interviewed you make it clear to them that you have now complied with the disclosure policy.

Does this hold true even if I may decide to keep my current position? I'm not sure that this position I interviewed for is the right one for me. Right now I'm leaning more toward "no, it's not." And so if I stay, i fear that disclosing to my boss will have the very effect I originally feared: that he'll always wonder if I'm here to stay-stay, or just here until I find another opportunity that looks promising and apply for it.

If you don't want the new job, take yourself out of the running but do tell your current boss that you went exploring & the interview process helped you decide you like where you are. If there are things you want to change bring them up at this meeting -- show how you can be more of an asset to your boss & that should help to smooth things over.

• Like 1
  • Author

What I don't understand is why the company leaves it in the hands of the employee to tell their boss. It's an awkward conversation, and it puts the employee in a precarious position depending upon the kind of relationship between employee and boss.

I think HR should send a notice to the boss automatically as soon as the employee's application is processed. The notice would read, "So-and-so has applied for the _____ position in the _________ department. Do you have any reservations about this employee making such a move?"

And then, HR leaves it up to the BOSS to broach it with the employee, rather than the other way around. The boss could say, "Hey, I heard you were applying to _______. Are you unhappy in this position? Is there any way we could work together to meliorate areas where you are unhappy?"

I admit that while I understand (somewhat) that "rules are rules," I feel a bit resentful of being put in this position. That's why I don't want to grovel, because it would be dishonest.

I agree with you. It's a stupid policy but since it was such a big deal to those who interviewed you failing to comply with it makes you look like you are not a team member who plays by the rules.

• Author
If you don't want the new job, take yourself out of the running but do tell your current boss that you went exploring & the interview process helped you decide you like where you are. If there are things you want to change bring them up at this meeting -- show how you can be more of an asset to your boss & that should help to smooth things over.

I know it's between me and another candidate. I had wanted to wait and see what they would offer me before accepting or declining. Before I bumble past another company policy, is there anything wrong with waiting to see if I get the offer and what the offer is? I'm leaning towards "no" but I feel I still could be swayed.

So should I tell my boss that? That I'm not entirely sure the new position is right for me and I may decide to stay? Or is that blabbing too much?

• Author
I agree with you. It's a stupid policy but since it was such a big deal to those who interviewed you failing to comply with it makes you look like you are not a team member who plays by the rules.

Well, and that might be another point against my taking this job, just as it might be a point, for them, against me for hiring me for it. Which I feel would be unfortunate, because I am a team player, but I am not a peon and never will be. ANd ultimately I want to work for people who would see that as a strength NOT incommensurate with ethics and integrity.

What I don't understand is why the company leaves it in the hands of the employee to tell their boss. It's an awkward conversation, and it puts the employee in a precarious position depending upon the kind of relationship between employee and boss.

I think HR should send a notice to the boss automatically as soon as the employee's application is processed. The notice would read, "So-and-so has applied for the _____ position in the _________ department. Do you have any reservations about this employee making such a move?"

And then, HR leaves it up to the BOSS to broach it with the employee, rather than the other way around. The boss could say, "Hey, I heard you were applying to _______. Are you unhappy in this position? Is there any way we could work together to meliorate areas where you are unhappy?"

I admit that while I understand (somewhat) that "rules are rules," I feel a bit resentful of being put in this position. That's why I don't want to grovel, because it would be dishonest.

Actually, I've had the conversation that I wanted to apply for another role in a different department or team on several occasions and it isn't an awkward conversation at all.

If you have the conversation before you apply it takes away any of the awkwardness.

I admit it could now be even more awkward in that you don't think you want the role.

I would make a decision today, let the boss know what ha happened and if you don't want that role to decline from the interview process with an apology and a great reason why the role is not for you.

I am guessing that the interview process uncovered previously unknown to you factors about the role that changed your mind on it. Things that you would have already known about the role are going to sound a bit silly as a reason not to want the job as they will wonder why you even applied.

• Author

I would make a decision today, let the boss know what ha happened and if you don't want that role to decline from the interview process with an apology and a great reason why the role is not for you.

Is there any way I can have a little more time to make the decision? I don't want to rush it and in fact, if they offer me the position tomorrow, I always ask for 24 hours just so that I can sit with my decision--it's my personal "policy"--but I was thinking of asking for a couple of days so that I could get some feedback from a couple of coworkers I trust who might shed a different light on things.

I am guessing that the interview process uncovered previously unknown to you factors about the role that changed your mind on it. Things that you would have already known about the role are going to sound a bit silly as a reason not to want the job as they will wonder why you even applied.

More than anything, it's a personality thing. I love this company and I think the VP's I'd be working with are super-smart, passionate and dynamic. I think working with them could be a charged adventure that could teach me a lot. Conversely, I have this niggling feeling that one of them could be a bit too much, maybe just not a mesh with my personality in a supervisor-supervisee dynamic. I can't tell if these reservations I have are me recognizing that this job will be a challenge and a personal growth opportunity and I'm a bit intimidated...or whether I'm picking up on personality red flags that might make working in this role a challenge in a BAD way.

The other thing I'm starting to realize is that maybe I'm just not destined for a corporate career pathway. It always has felt like trying to jam a square peg into...you know. But because I"m smart and organized, I've always been able to "fake" it. I"m beginning to think that maybe it's time to stop faking and fighting myself and take ownership of the fact that the corporate path is just not for me, and then take on the challenge of forging a different path for myself.

Obviously this latter bit is not what I'd give as a reason, if I declined the offer. If I get the offer. These VP's are so sharp that they just might already recognize what I'm recognizing in myself. And what makes this such a tough decision for me is that if they are truly that sharp, which I believe they are, then I have HUGE respect for them and wouldn't it be a shame to turn down an opportunity to work with people so intelligent?

For internal searches I do think one should be honest with their boss since they are going to find out anyway. It is our practice for an employee to tell their supervisor BUT the recruiter will do a phone interview with them and then check with their supervisor to make sure they are in good standing, etc. We put in the extra check and balance so we can hear from both sides and the onus isn't just on the employee. We want to the employee to show good faith and maturity by being upfront about it but we also understand they may forget to inform their boss. We will talk to both parties and then involve other areas of HR if there are disciplinary issues that may prohibit them from partaking in the rest of the process.

We also recognize the fact that there could be a bad supervisor that doesn't understand the business mindset of employees looking for other positions and acting inappropriately. It allows us to see if someone is exhibiting this behavior and take corrective action.

So in your case, I would assume your boss will find out since it was internal and I would talk to them. It is your choice not to but I would follow the policy to the letter next go around.