How do HR recruiters feel about you turning down jobs?

I applied for a job but thought better of it later when I found out more about the potential boss, who is a bitch. Which makes me wonder what would happen if I went on an interview, decided I didn't want the job after it was offered? Would the recruiter eliminate me from further job interviews elsewhere? They just want to get positions filled and off of their list.

What are some good excuses to use for why you are refusing?

Recruiters get paid when the jobs get filled. If you already know you don't want the job, don't go on the interview & waste people's time including your own.

Is there any possibility the bitch wouldn't be your boss? Sometime you need to actually go on the interview (or the 1st date) to see if it's a fit.

-Not feeling the 'click' in the interview. Both employee and employer need to feel good about it.

-Having a better offer.

Both excuses are valid, but... recruiters are looking for people actively seeking a job. Placing myself in the recruite's shoes I would not like my candidate turning down a job I worked for. In that sense I agree with donnavain. If you already know this isn't going to work, cancel the interview. As you are indeed wasting people's time.

• Like 1

I definitely know how recruiters at temp agencies feel. They are like turning down used car salesmen. You really need to interview before deciding whether or not the job is for you. Recruiters always have a plentiful supply of candidates, so if you say you got a better offer or don't feel it would be a good fit, there is nothing wrong with that. It happens, but interview first to decide.