Is it OK or wrong for my gym teacher to make these comments about boys?

I have this gym teacher in high school summer classes teaching my gym class who is young, (younger than 30 I think) and she teaches physical education and English. She is a pretty cool teacher and nice. We will be about to do the swimming unit. When she was describing what stuff you need to bring she mentioned to the boys in the class that the females in the room must like the swimming unit the most because all the females can see all the boys without their shirts off and see how you all really look and how fit you really are. the comment doesn't bother me in the slightest , but if some kid who was around me decides to go cry about it, will she get in trouble? I talked to a friend of mine about it (who wasn't there) and he says it is wrong and she should get in trouble but I don't see why, I talked to another person and they said this was out of line and should be reported

If she was actually doing anything then I would agree. I am not going to say anything, she is a really good and nice teacher and I will not get her in trouble. Would you feel uncomfortable by this comment? Some people might say it is an encouraging comment. In fact most people laughed at the comment.

even if she does get in trouble, should she really

lollipopspot

Judging from your last posting too, you seem quite interested in the behavior of young female teachers yourself.

A HS teacher should not say sexually charged things to students. Also, it's assuming that everyone in the class is straight. There might be some gay kids in there too.

• Like 2
Judging from your last posting too, you seem quite interested in the behavior of young female teachers yourself.

A HS teacher should not say sexually charged things to students. Also, it's assuming that everyone in the class is straight. There might be some gay kids in there too.

I don't think any boys will run & cry about this. I mean why would they?

• Like 1

I think she was just trying to motivate some boys to get fit. There's a whole lot of kids now who get no exercise and don't want any.

• Like 1
lollipopspot
I don't think any boys will run & cry about this. I mean why would they?

Well, we're reading about it here, so it's leaving the room in which it was said. I can imagine one of the guys saying something to his parent and getting the teacher reprimanded. Sometimes it's on purpose, sometimes not.

Why does it seem right when men or boys have to fit a mold prescribed by someone like what this particular teacher was trying to do? Why is it acceptable to do the same by saying something along the lines of girls in swimsuits, that they should look like magazine babes?

Is it OK or wrong for my gym teacher to make these comments about boys?

As part of a pattern of interaction, probably actionable. As a one-time thing, meh.

In high school, I wouldn't have given it a second thought and I wasn't exactly 'fit', even though I played multiple sports after school. Had she said 'see who's fit and who's fat' well that might have been a different kettle of fish, though I doubt for most young people. Too much bullying had gone under the bridge at that point and such words were loaded words and physical violence was on my mind during that time. Fortunately, our lay teachers who taught PE were above-board and professional in all aspects (private religious school).