Why do temp agencies have to be so pushy?

I know they are somewhat like used car salesman since they make money finding you work, but sometimes being too pushy if I decline an offer or say I've found other work seems a tad unprofessional. I got a call from the agency I used before about a position and the interview time conflicts with my new second position that I will be training for all next week. I politely told her that I wouldn't be able to do the interview for said reason and that I'd let her know if I'm back in the market. She started saying things like, don't you want a full time job? How much does it pay? Etc etc. She sounded disappointed, but from my experience with temp work, you're just so much easier to dispose of by the client since it's so much easier for them to let you go since they don't have to deal with all the logistic of hire. I wouldn't leave a permanent job for something that is temp or contract. Their last clients were wishy washy and emphasized how they wanted someone long term to grow with the company and in the flip of a switch, it's like "find me someone else". I tried my best to remain on good terms with the agency in case I ever need temp work again, but I wish they would not sound so condescending and pushy when you've said that you've found something else.

Edited by pink_sugar

Hehehehe yes temp agencies can be like car salesmen. Unless you're financially stable and just want to work "because" temping should be used either to gain experience or because the economy is in the toilet and full time permanent work is hard to come by. If you can find a decent permanent job then temping isn't necessary and you're under no obligation to them other than the polite decline you gave.

Keep in mind there's a lot of competition among temp agencies so they're doing whatever it takes to keep top candidates to sell to potential clients. Just like employers aren't loyal to employees, clients aren't loyal to agencies and whoever can deliver the most bang for the least buck gets the business.

• Like 2
  • Author

Exactly! I didn't mind when I was unemployed or looking for additional work; but I just don't have the financial means to end permanent work for temp to hire. I'd rather have two part time positions that are permanent than a temp to hire full time.