Coworker communication question

I was wondering what the opinions are for an employee to use their business' employees phone number list to call a coworker for a personal "social" reason without asking and getting the number directly from that person.

Is this creepy or is this how things are done now?

Thanks!!

It seems inappropriate to me. Some people might find it a little creepy. You should let the person in question have the choice to give you their number in a social context. I think it could leave a bad impression.

Absolutely inappropriate. Also creepy and invasive.

You are stepping past a boundary without an invitation.

nomadic_butterfly

Yes!! If the other party isn't interested you will make it very awkward for them. You can also get written up for harassment for an unwarranted advance. It's also very unprofessional.

I would try to build a rapport in person. If there's a coworker that's a mutual friend, maybe try to get some info on the person that way (i.e. are they single, etc.). Maybe try to get to know the person in person without being overly flirtatious and read their body language. If they are brief with you, etc. they are probably not interested. Maybe crack a few jokes, tell them something like, "oh man, it's been a long week, can't wait to have a lazy weekend; how about you? anything fun planned out?"

That way you can make small talk, and find out if they are seeing someone without being intrusive.

I was wondering what the opinions are for an employee to use their business' employees phone number list to call a coworker for a personal "social" reason without asking and getting the number directly from that person.

Is this creepy or is this how things are done now?

Thanks!!

• Like 1

I would need more information to be able to have an opinion. In my experience work numbers are available 24/7 so personal can intermingle with work calls. So in my world this really wouldn't be that big of a deal but more details may be helpful in making an assessment.

If this was done to you, I would just tell the person you aren't interested and please don't call you about anything personal, you would like to keep things strictly professional.