how to get entry level admin job?

I'm two years out of college and I have a lot of administrative experience yet I can't seem to get a single interview for an entry level position. I feel like there's something I'm missing here.

I worked for three years during college on and off as a personal assistant to a professional who needed help budgeting their expenses and generally organizing their work. I also have done heavy secretarial work at various internships (answering phones, budgeting trips, managing schedules). I'm certified in a number of computer programs. I have a fast typing speed (over 80 wpm).

For the past month I have been applying to positions on craigslist in NY and haven't been able to land a single interview. I have also spent a lot of time reworking my cover letter.

Is craigslist not the right place to look? Is there something I might be overlooking?

I get more responses through craigslist versus anywhere else. I think the issue, especially if you live somewhere like New York City is the overwhelming number of applicants. Don't take it personally. My husband had a very very difficult time finding admin work himself, even with advanced education. It's not really a specialized field, so you're dealing with even more competition because everyone is applying to entry level office work (if you can find something that doesn't require experience). Join a staffing agency and ask for resume tips. You might also find jobs that way that could lead into something permanent. I was also recently advised that resumes with any spelling or grammar errors will be trashed right away. I had a recruiter show me 4/5 resumes he received that were all filled with spelling and grammar errors.

• Like 1

Have you signed up with Temp agencies?

Most of the Admin jobs I got all started as one-day gigs that sometimes turned into one-week gigs, etc...

Work any and every job they offer; even if it seems menial. You never know where it will lead and the more you are willing to do one-day jobs, the more your Temp Agency can rely on you for bigger, more important jobs.

Also, sign up with more than one agency.

• Like 4
  • Author
I get more responses through craigslist versus anywhere else. I think the issue, especially if you live somewhere like New York City is the overwhelming number of applicants. Don't take it personally. My husband had a very very difficult time finding admin work himself, even with advanced education. It's not really a specialized field, so you're dealing with even more competition because everyone is applying to entry level office work (if you can find something that doesn't require experience). Join a staffing agency and ask for resume tips. You might also find jobs that way that could lead into something permanent. I was also recently advised that resumes with any spelling or grammar errors will be trashed right away. I had a recruiter show me 4/5 resumes he received that were all filled with spelling and grammar errors.

You make some good points. I remember once posting on craigslist about a crew position in a student film. It was very minimally paid and I got over 60 responses. I can't even imagine how these recruiters are bombarded!

I'll contact some temp agencies today and let you guys know what develops.

Edited by tuxedo cat
  • Like 2
Have you signed up with Temp agencies?

Most of the Admin jobs I got all started as one-day gigs that sometimes turned into one-week gigs, etc...

Work any and every job they offer; even if it seems menial. You never know where it will lead and the more you are willing to do one-day jobs, the more your Temp Agency can rely on you for bigger, more important jobs.

Also, sign up with more than one agency.

I totally agree with this.

I'm a qbe (qualified by experience) accountant.

There are roles at levels of sign off that I can't do but I do OK for work.

Most companies (in the UK anyway) use agencies.

My last two permanent jobs arose from going for short term temp work where they soon realised I was a team player and happy to do whatever was required.

I didn't care what I was doing as long as it was work.

I was just lucky things came up at the right time for me in my field.

I've had four offers of permanent roles in total from temping. I took up two. One I had worked a set three month contract and they went back to the agency and asked for me specifically over 6 months later.

The other...well..I never got out! :laugh:

I'm still there 6 years later...and...I escaped redundancies as they happened only 3 months after I was made permanent. They picked me to stay even though I was last in.

Agencies are a pain but people meet you in person and a there is a lot more you can give of yourself when you meet people. It's better than a pic and a cv with a general cover letter.

• Like 2
  • Author

This is a little off topic but maybe you guys can offer some advice since I'm new to the job market.

I just got a call (my first) from a career related place I applied to last Friday. It's a major company that I would love to work for. The woman introduced herself as a recruiter with their human resources department and said that she liked my resume.

She said, "what are you looking for exactly?" I was a little taken off guard and wasn't sure how to answer since I had applied to be an assistant--did she mean what was I looking for beyond the scope of the job itself?

I gave her my best answer but felt nervous and unprepared and our conversation lasted less than a minute, at the end of which she said, "okay, we're just prescreening now. We'll contact you about an interview if there's any interest." (This means she isn't interested, right?) The whole thing was abrupt and strange.

I feel like I just blew one of the better opportunities I've had.

Edited by tuxedo cat
  • Like 1
This is a little off topic but maybe you guys can offer some advice since I'm new to the job market.

I just got a call (my first) from a career related place I applied to last Friday. It's a major company that I would love to work for. The woman introduced herself as a recruiter with their human resources department and said that she liked my resume.

She said, "what are you looking for exactly?" I was a little taken off guard and wasn't sure how to answer since I had applied to be an assistant--did she mean what was I looking for beyond the scope of the job itself?

I gave her my best answer but felt nervous and unprepared and our conversation lasted less than a minute, at the end of which she said, "okay, we're just prescreening now. We'll contact you about an interview if there's any interest." (This means she isn't interested, right?) The whole thing was abrupt and strange.

That was designed to catch you off guard.

It's actually fine if you can deal with off guard...as we all have to every single day of our working lives...I could pin point 15-20 caught off guard moments I had today where I needed a answer pronto.

The length of call means nothing.

How you coped was what was important.

Coping can mean saying 'heck, I wasn't prepared for this..haha! I am looking for......blah!

Being 'human' always got me jobs.

I remember asking one Finance Director who was interviewing me..can I go 50/50 or call a friend? Lol!

I do it easily in practice but asking the question just throws me off track!

This was double entry accounting...there is only one right answer. I got it wrong. I got the job though.

He understood me and why I got it wrong.

He knew I understood the principle and could use it in action.

I worked there for 7 years.

• Like 1
ThaWholigan

This is actually pretty standard, like Gemma said they do it purposely to throw you off-guard! It would be good to write down some of these questions and get acquainted with how to answer them. Don't prepare full scripts for them, because they will just throw another question at you that you aren't prepared for, but give yourselves key words and anchors that you can use in order to help yourself.

A question as vague as the one the lady asked, you could simply start off with your immediate aims and give them a short and brief outline of your long term aim. They like to see someone with a bit of ambition and an idea for where they want to progress to :).

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks for the help, guys.

Is there anything I can do to salvage this potential job or should I just move on? It was with a really great company so I'm bummed. I mean she rejected me after 30 seconds because I was a little unprepared with my response? Bleh.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Is there anything I can do to salvage this potential job or should I just move on? It was with a really great company so I'm bummed. I mean she rejected me after 30 seconds because I was a little unprepared with my response? Bleh.

She was doing a prescreening. I'm not sure why you're so convinced you blew it. :confused:

• Like 1
  • Author
She was doing a prescreening. I'm not sure why you're so convinced you blew it. :confused:

I really appreciate your optimism but I'm good at reading between the lines. I can't remember ever thinking an interview went badly where I actually got the job.

Next time I will let my phone go to vm. :laugh:

Actually, your points go up for answering. Many times, they will hire and interview those these reach immediately. By the time phone calls are returned, the position may be filled.

• Like 1
I really appreciate your optimism but I'm good at reading between the lines. I can't remember ever thinking an interview went badly where I actually got the job.

Did her tone or inflection change, or was it just the hasty way she finished up?

Yea, voicemail's a good idea, as long as you're prompted about returning the call, like within three minutes, LOL! It's going to give you time to build up anxiety. Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Author
Actually, your points go up for answering. Many times, they will hire and interview those these reach immediately. By the time phone calls are returned, the position may be filled.

I guess I should just prepare then.

I guess I should just prepare then.

That's the point. Many times, they ask questions you can't prep for and they want to ascertain how well you think on your feet.

• Like 1

There have been times I have asked interviewers to clarify vague statements or questions. When they ask this type of question, just talk about your career goals.

In Australia, only people with prior experience get entry level admin jobs...

You need either a degree, a diploma or a few years of prior experience. They don't even look at your resume if you have 2 or less years of prior work experience in an office type of role, or at least in retail sales.

I suppose someone who had been a waitress for years and wanted to progress to another area, could do a quick certificate in typing/excel/learning basic computer stuff. Then they would stand a chance at getting considered but only if they got their resume done professionally.

Where I live, you generally cannot walk into an entry level job without some experience in how to use excel/computer systems.

In Australia, only people with prior experience get entry level admin jobs...

You need either a degree, a diploma or a few years of prior experience. They don't even look at your resume if you have 2 or less years of prior work experience in an office type of role, or at least in retail sales.

I suppose someone who had been a waitress for years and wanted to progress to another area, could do a quick certificate in typing/excel/learning basic computer stuff. Then they would stand a chance at getting considered but only if they got their resume done professionally.

Where I live, you generally cannot walk into an entry level job without some experience in how to use excel/computer systems.

Leigh, it's pretty much the same way in the U.S.