Facebook use for organization - questions from a FB novice

I volunteer for a small organization. Currently, we send out postcards to the 38 members to inform them of the monthly meeting/activity date, time, and place (changes each month). Post cards take time to prepare, and they sometimes get lost in the mail since they are so thin. Also, when meetings get postponed I end up calling everyone on the list.

I found out that our organization already has a Facebook page. Many of the members have "Liked" the page. But we haven't posted anything on it.

I only know the basics of FB and have questions:

If I post an activity date on the organization FB page, will the followers (who "liked" the page) receive an update?

Is there a way they can opt to receive an e-mail alert from FB that something new has been posted on our organization's FB page? That way they will know to check the organization FB page even if they haven't logged into FB in a week.

Edited by Col1

Yes, they will receive notifications on facebook and when people "like" your page they are automatically followers of all updates unless they go in and manually unsubscribe/unlike or hide news feed later.

• Like 1

Is there a way they can opt to receive an e-mail alert from FB that something new has been posted on our organization's FB page?

Not necessarily.

I "like" a lot of business I am involved in and have opted to not receive notifications.

What you could do with your 38 people is create a separate FB page as a private group (which won't be seen by the public) and LET THEM KNOW they need to subscribe to that particular page in order to be in the loop.

My artwork is in a handful of galleries and this is how we communicate regarding upcoming exhibitions versus using emails.

• Like 1

It's OK if everyone uses FB regularly and either gets notifications or seess things in news feed.

I haven't logged in since about March....

I would rather get an email or a text.

• Like 1
  • Author
Not necessarily.

I "like" a lot of business I am involved in and have opted to not receive notifications.

One follow-up question about this:

If people do "opt in" to receive notifications, will they receive an e-mail notification from FB sent to their personal e-mail account (Hotmail or Yahoo, etc) that something new has been posted? Or does the notification only get seen on the feed after the user logs into their FB account?

• Author
If people do "opt in" to receive notifications, will they receive an e-mail notification from FB sent to their personal e-mail account (Hotmail or Yahoo, etc) that something new has been posted? Or does the notification only get seen on the feed after the user logs into their FB account?

I am testing this. I created a make believe organization FB page, and then I liked it with my FB profile. Then I created a few posts on the organization FB page. Those messages only appeared on my FB home page. I didn't receive an e-mail alert to my personal mail telling me something new is on my FB page.

Is there a setting somewhere on FB to add a notification? (Here on Love Shack, you can set each thread to receive e-mail notification of replies).

Edited by Col1
reallyhotguy

Using a Page may not be your best fit. Pages are mostly intended for outreach from the business to a large public population -- not for high-signal collaboration within a small group.

For the 38 members in your internal team, it's probably better if you create a Group and invite them all in individually. Everyone will get a notification any time someone posts in the group, unless they opt out. You can also invite everyone in the group to an Event, or start a Facebook Chat with some or all of the members to talk to them in realtime. If I'm reading this correctly it sounds like this is more like what you need.

E-mail notifications could be turned off by individuals. So even if they "liked" your Page but turned off the e-mail notifications, they still will not receive any updates. And I think Pages don't have e-mail notifications, but Groups do.