recruiter beating around the bush

So I had a phone interview with this company a few weeks back. The interview went okay other than the fact that the interviewer seemed like he didn't know how to talk on the phone. Anyways, I hear back last week and the guy wanted me to come in for an interview. I was surprised since the phone interview was a bit awkward. I told him a day I could come in and asked what I could expect in the interview. He responded that it turned out he wasn't available that day after all and Ignored my question. He wanted me to come sooner and I said I needed a little more notice as I am currently working...repeated my question as to what to expect during the 2 hour interview. Didnt hear from him for a few days. He contacted me again today asking if I can come in this week. Again, ignored my question. Finally, I told him I need to know what to expect so I can work the interview around my work schedule. This guy seems too incompetent that I really do not want to bother with the job if he cannot answer a simple question.

I doubt the interviewer is incompetent. People do ignore items if they choose or policy requires them to.

Long ago on a faraway planet when I used to conduct company interviews the potential employees were told only to bring a pencil and a map. I liked interviewing to see if potential hires could think on their feet. Giving them all the details in advance would kind of negate that sort of test. Unknown to me what corporate interviewers do now. It seems this interviewer's style has you scratching your head. Yep, it's possible they're incompetent. It's also possible they're sizing you up by how you handle a particular process, in this case getting to the interview. Hard to know. Interviews aren't always how they seem.

• Author

Maybe, but if I need to rearrange my work schedule for a 2 hour interview...he could tell me the basics. Every recruiter has told me the details...who I'll be interviewing with...any assessments involved and etc. And the way he interviewed me over the phone was very awkward. I just don't get a good overall vibe and will be moving on.

He sounds incompetent. Sad to know that he happens to have a job. Recruiters are a pain in the ass to deal with! And they are usually the ones that give the green light on who can actually talk to the manager. It's unfair. Managers should be in charge on handling job applications and interviews not some recruiter.

• Like 1
  • Author

On my third email, he gave me a one sentence answer repeating that the interview would be no longer than 2 hours and would be with him and one other person. Ehhh, me thinks not. I politely declined.

UpwardForward

Pink.

You should have taken the interview. You have no way of knowing it would have been as long as two hrs even though he said so.

Or perhaps it involved a tour of the premises, review of computer programs, merchandising, etc etc.

• Author
Pink.

You should have taken the interview. You have no way of knowing it would have been as long as two hrs even though he said so.

Or perhaps it involved a tour of the premises, review of computer programs, merchandising, etc etc.

There were also other factors. The biggest being the commute which wouldn't be doable at this time since my husband and I share transportation, so getting to and from the position would be a problem. I need something closer to home. I just wasn't getting a good overall vibe and it started with the phone interview. I can only imagine having this guy as my boss.

UpwardForward

I know, it doesn't work out to be too far from your job.

I drive a a long distance, but I am now going in fewer days a week.

It might be nice to be a part of a big company that has branches, then you could take a job closer when an available opening.

• Like 1
  • Author
I know, it doesn't work out to be too far from your job.

I drive a a long distance, but I am now going in fewer days a week.

It might be nice to be a part of a big company that has branches, then you could take a job closer when an available opening.

Yeah, I honestly prefer to take something long term that I can get to via public transit. Cars aren't cheap to own and maintain. :laugh: I'm hoping that my husband will get promoted at his job in a few years to the corporate headquarters, which is out of state...but the public transit there is great and the cost of living is also a lot cheaper so we can afford to own. :D In the meantime, I enjoy freelance work as well and it has helped supplement income while working part time. Elance is a great site for independent contractors looking for contract jobs. I would love to go entirely freelance in the next several years.