Working with a significant other

Okay so the tides have turned in my life, I was release (fired) from my job that I loved and thought I was doing well at. Guess I was wrong. Anyway, my boyfriend felt for my bad luck and now I'm working with him. He sells cars. I suck honestly, they don't like newbies, and all I can do is greet people and send them his way for the most part at this time.

He's actually really good at it. But it causes friction because I don't know what I'm doing, making mistakes he's been doing this for over 20 years and is a professional and I'm not good about trusting his judgement, though I'm learning the hard way it's right.

I just really need to talk it out, he's trying to rest and I'm hyped up on an energy drink.

What is your question exactly? Whether or not to continue working there? It sounds like the job isn't for you and you should find something better suited to your abilities.

If BF has been selling a product for 20 years and is a professional, then any new hires can be/should be trained. Any experienced professional can train or refer to train. 9 to 5 is work. After is married/BF-GF, etc.

His job, or the job of the company, is to train you. Your job is to absorb the training. Second-guess an experienced professional at your own risk. Negotiate after you're off the clock. On the clock you're an employee.

Sounds like your SO did you a favor finding you work after you were fired, evidently with that firing coming as a surprise to you. Up to you what you do with that. At minimum, even if it doesn't work out, thank him for the offer.

In general, relevant to cars, most salespeople I've interfaced with know precious little about cars, especially compared to someone like myself who's fixed them his entire life. They do, however, know a lot about selling cars, more than I'll ever know. The car is the product. If you want to learn to sell it, you can, and do quite well for yourself, whether with your SO or not. It's up to you.

• Like 1
  • Author

We talked it out and he realized he wasn't training me as much as he should have been. To him it's old hand and he said he didn't really know where to start. But we're working it out. He let me do some actual work today, not much but it's a start.

It is one thing to work with a SO/family member but to be in a supervisor/subordinate position would be extra difficult. It will definitely test the strength of your relationship.

Definitely communicate the issues to him but I would honestly see if there is any one else that can handle your training/development. I think life would be easier that way. Good luck!

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear
Okay so the tides have turned in my life, I was release (fired) from my job that I loved and thought I was doing well at. Guess I was wrong. Anyway, my boyfriend felt for my bad luck and now I'm working with him. He sells cars. I suck honestly, they don't like newbies, and all I can do is greet people and send them his way for the most part at this time.

He's actually really good at it. But it causes friction because I don't know what I'm doing, making mistakes he's been doing this for over 20 years and is a professional and I'm not good about trusting his judgement, though I'm learning the hard way it's right.

I just really need to talk it out, he's trying to rest and I'm hyped up on an energy drink.

Instead of doing what he does, is there another position available there where you arent in a compromised role? Its not your fault, you dont have the reps,....Tough spot, if you ask me..

TFY

lucy_in_disguise

I would actively seek another job or at the least, an internal transfer. The supervisory relationship presents a conflict of interest and is not helping either of you in your careers. Besides that, it doesn't sound like this is something you are that interested in.

Love your work and work at what you love.

If your interest in cars is zero, then don't work there.

Your disinterest will show, and communicate itself to clients and colleagues alike.

Why do a job that will slow down the company growth and be reflected in the figures? And will he resent you for not pulling your weight? Oh god you bet he will. Find another job, and fast.