Is this a bad sign that a recruiter said this?

I got a call from a recruiter, she did the basic phone interview, then at the end told me that she's still going through resumes, etc, etc, she will tell the hiring manager and will see what the next process is. Is this a bad sign? She didn't say anything about coming in for an in person interview. Did I screw this up? Also nothing on a time frame of contacting me.

MidwestUSA

Not necessarily. Sounds like it was a screening interview, and she up needs to talk to the hiring manager, like she said.

I can't help but notice you take everything said on interviews as a negative. Is there a reason for this that you can put your finger on?

I agree with MidWest.

Also no, many recruiters must get the okay by the hiring manager on whom they would like to see. This is especially true for an outside recruiter for the company.

A bad sign is "thank you speaking with me today, while you have some great skills we don't think it is a fit for this position. If we find anything that matches your resume we will definitely give you a call."

That is bad. ;)

• Author
Not necessarily. Sounds like it was a screening interview, and she up needs to talk to the hiring manager, like she said.

I can't help but notice you take everything said on interviews as a negative. Is there a reason for this that you can put your finger on?

I just get nervous during interviews, I do practice beforehand, but sometimes I think my nervousness messes it up. And I always think its because they don't personally like me. Isn't 50% of all hiring decisions based on personality anyway?

Eternal Sunshine
I just get nervous during interviews, I do practice beforehand, but sometimes I think my nervousness messes it up. And I always think its because they don't personally like me. Isn't 50% of all hiring decisions based on personality anyway?

I have been sitting on some interview panels and the process is quite complicated. I always thought it's 90% technical competence and skill but it's not really. As I said before, they already have a clear favorite (or two) before the interviews even start. Sometimes favorites reject their offer though so not all is lost.

It's contacts - people like to employ people they have heard of or have contacts in common - even if they are less skilled. This is not merely a good reference.

Technical skill and experience.

Personality - they need to get the vibe that you will fit with the company culture and especially their team. They also need to like you.

Minor criteria: AGE, sex, race, single/married...

pink_sugar
I agree with MidWest.

Also no, many recruiters must get the okay by the hiring manager on whom they would like to see. This is especially true for an outside recruiter for the company.

A bad sign is "thank you speaking with me today, while you have some great skills we don't think it is a fit for this position. If we find anything that matches your resume we will definitely give you a call."

That is bad. ;)

I actually got told this at a first in person interview that I commuted 30 minutes away for. I thought it was highly inappropriate to decline me outright after deciding I was such a good fit to bypass the phone interview. They didn't think my career goals matched the company. ..though I thought otherwise. I could have handles the phone decline...but making someone commute to waste their time is ridiculous.

• Author
I have been sitting on some interview panels and the process is quite complicated. I always thought it's 90% technical competence and skill but it's not really. As I said before, they already have a clear favorite (or two) before the interviews even start. Sometimes favorites reject their offer though so not all is lost.

It's contacts - people like to employ people they have heard of or have contacts in common - even if they are less skilled. This is not merely a good reference.

Technical skill and experience.

Personality - they need to get the vibe that you will fit with the company culture and especially their team. They also need to like you.

Minor criteria: AGE, sex, race, single/married...

Yeah, that's what I thought. And what really makes me mad, is that they have the nerve to send me a rejection email saying that they "decided to move forward with other candidates, that most closely matches the skills and requirements." I've been apply to Entry-Level jobs where a degree isn't at all required, why can't they just tell me, "we don't like you, and you can't join our gossip group." I swear going on interviews is like going on a first date.

EvelyneConnor

Like others said - it's probably following the rules and bureaucracy, more than it is a bad sign. Hiring processes are mysteries wrapped in riddles bundled in enigmas. :p To paraphrase Winston Churchill.

• Author

Well, I never heard back from the recruiter. I'm at the point where I really don't believe anything a recruiter tells me.

I actually got told this at a first in person interview that I commuted 30 minutes away for. I thought it was highly inappropriate to decline me outright after deciding I was such a good fit to bypass the phone interview. They didn't think my career goals matched the company. ..though I thought otherwise. I could have handles the phone decline...but making someone commute to waste their time is ridiculous.

Okay but look at it from another angle. Would you rather have interviewed multiple times, made it through to the end and then have them decline you?

While being rejected can be frustrating recruiting is a lot like dating. You are going to need to go on multiple dates to make sure you have a good fit.

Please note being declined for career goals was most likely "HR" speak for a PC reason why they didn't want to move forward with you. They just didn't feel you interviewed well or as well, as other candidates and decided not to move you forward. In a face to face personality is going to play a major factor as well as specific position based answers.

Sorry you felt the commute wasn't worth the time but that is all part of the interviewing process.

Okay but look at it from another angle. Would you rather have interviewed multiple times, made it through to the end and then have them decline you?

While being rejected can be frustrating recruiting is a lot like dating. You are going to need to go on multiple dates to make sure you have a good fit.

Please note being declined for career goals was most likely "HR" speak for a PC reason why they didn't want to move forward with you. They just didn't feel you interviewed well or as well, as other candidates and decided not to move you forward. In a face to face personality is going to play a major factor as well as specific position based answers.

Sorry you felt the commute wasn't worth the time but that is all part of the interviewing process.

I didn't even get to complete my interview. We were 5 minutes in and they just outright declined me right there...didn't even allow me to ask questions. They asked what I wanted to do in 5 years and they didn't think that position aligned with my goals. This could have been established if they did the phone screen. To have someone commute that far for an interview and not even allow me to finish the interview because they didn't think the position would align with what I wanted to do was inappropriate. I much rather would have finished my interview and be rejected in an email.

I didn't even get to complete my interview. We were 5 minutes in and they just outright declined me right there...didn't even allow me to ask questions. They asked what I wanted to do in 5 years and they didn't think that position aligned with my goals. This could have been established if they did the phone screen. To have someone commute that far for an interview and not even allow me to finish the interview because they didn't think the position would align with what I wanted to do was inappropriate. I much rather would have finished my interview and be rejected in an email.

Okay. I agree. If they treat candidates like that aren't you thrilled you didn't end up working for them? I stand by it is like dating and you are going to kiss a lot of frogs.