Opportunities that have arisen in ONE DAY'S worth of job searching. Impressed.

Do you think this sounds fairly standard when it comes to job seeking?

And can any other soon to be full time students also go into overdrive to search for employment opportunities when you didn't have much experience?

I have experience in a few areas, but only a little bit of experience in each area; I am not EXPERINCED in any one given area, but I have worked minimally in restaurants, cafes, sales and in retail as well as child minding and tutoring young children English overseas. I have a few goods references. I currently work at events serving drinks every month to few months depending on the work available.

Obviously I am not a highly skilled worker by any stretch but I feel I am at a point where I can be given more experience in a paid employment setting.

So far in a one day period of looking for jobs, I have been offered:

I had a phone interview and was one of the chosen ones out of 200 applicants to go through to a face to face interview, tomorrow. In Sydney CBD which is great, easily accessible via train. It is customer service/sales job which may be crappy but at least it is a proper salary unlike the bellow minimum wage jobs that try to exploit you.

I have a trial at a Chinese restaurant which is 25 minutes via car. They actually do pay minimum wage, 18 an hour, and want me 4 days a week.

A nanny agency said they would consider taking me on and they could get me 12 to 20 hours a week of work at minimum wage or slightly higher (25 an hour in some cases).

SHE ALSO said today on the phone, again, that she thinks I should report the 150 a week live in nanny position, as they were 100% exploiting me. She said any live in job (some of which DO NOT PAY YOU at all and rather, exchange food rent and board for looking after their kids full time), apparently they are ALL exploitive and can all get into deep trouble if disgruntled employees ring fair work Australia.

So yeah, the job I had WAS in fact, paying me well, WELL bellow the standard Aussie minimum wage, according to this professional agency.

I met a contact at a party and she owns a cleaning business that pays minimum wage and offers part time or casual work, and she said she would give me a trial. She doesn't need people with prior experience, just physically fit individuals who want to work hard and are able to learn from her.

Lastly, I have an offer from the leading travel agency saying that while I don't have the experience to take an immediate position with them that is on offer, they want to meet me for a face to face interview, followed by an assessment, written and verbal. I have enough travel under my belt and enough customer service experience for them to employ me IF I compete for a place in their free and nationally accredited course.

If I am successful, I will undergo a diploma course delivered online, get a job offer, and then receive a free 2000 overseas trip upon completion (to further my travel expertise, LOL)

Lastly, a woman has asked me to walk her dog, only now I am not living in Sydney it probably won't happen as she would have to pay me a rate that could compensate for the 15 dollar return train ticket, which is highly unlikely. I am better off getting experience at my local pound, without the burden of travel.

As for NON paid employment.

I start volunteer phone crisis counselling for a suicide prevention line, You get a 2500 course for 600 dollars as it is government subsidized. It is right next to where I live.

^^^^ while personally fulfilling, it will definitely help me get a job once I graduate. I have done nearly half a degree in Social Work, and I am about to start another degree in community development; they always give jobs to people who have experience in the field, paid or non paid, ahead of the students who have not gone and found volunteer work that pertains to their degree.

I also currently volunteer with a well known charity, tutoring an eight year old.

Furthermore, I start full time University, purely online, come September..I have de enrolled in the current face to face degree, and I found out that, thankfully, my high marks I received as my college entrance score will always be valid to the universities. I didn't need marks to get into the current degree since it is only an online bachelor. Alone it wont get me a job easily but with volunteer work with the phone crisis counselling, suicide prevention hotline plus the fact I started work at age 16 at McDonald's, and I have a few work based references, will likely land me a professional albeit low paid job.

I am feeling positive about my future,

I know I don't have to work once I begin study full time but I would very much prefer to work a few shifts a week, it would be nice to have not only the experience and good reference (if I work hard and do a good job of course), but some money I can safe so I am not broke at the end of my degree.

• Author

As for my college education..

I have a little over half a degree left, about 2.5 years to go.

I have now organised some new volunteer work in the area of:

- Aged care and disabilities

- Currently volunteer with children

- About to start suicide prevention hotline, phone crisis counselling.

I feel once I start the two new volunteer roles, I am MUCH more likely to get employed once I graduate my degree which is in the field of community development, in other words, of helping people within your community.

I feel really confident with the fact I think it is valuable to volunteer with the youth, elderly as well as the disabled when you do a degree in "community development".

What do you think? Do I really have a much better shot in 2.5 years once I graduate of finding work, if I already have a couple years of experience with youth, the elderly and the disabled?

Of course even if I was not about to commence study and I did nothing (say I married a millionaire, HAH). I would still do these roles because they help you develop into a better person and you achieve more fulfilment in life than if you do not help others.

I really do hope it will help get me work. Any experience counts right? Paid or otherwise?

• Author
I'm a bit confused, what exactly is your question?

Am I doing well or should I be doing more?

I had a hard time in my early twenties with work and am only just starting out and need encouragement.

I am not like most adults who just go out and get proper jobs and have worked full time for years before.

I am just starting out and trying to use my minimal experience to start somewhere.

Seems like you're doing fine since you've got a few opportunities/interviews lined up at the moment. I think that when you're a student, any job is good enough because it's not like a career path or a permanent job you'll have forever.

You might find yourself needing to give up some work once you start studying though since it's so full on.

• Like 1
Am I doing well or should I be doing more?

Opportunities are all well and good, and I'm glad for you that you're getting offers. But since you ask this question - the real test of 'how you are doing' is... how you DO. Meaning how you perform in a job or a course of study, and a track record of doing things to completion. That matters more than how many jobs you start or how many offers you get.

Edited by Elswyth
  • Like 5
  • Author

The casual job at the Chinese restaurant would be nice as it is a 25 min drive from my flat 4 nights a week and the manager doesn't need a cover letter or even resume, it isn't like that, you just walk in and do the job well enough. I will still bring in a copy of my CV and cover letter and dress in black business albeit hospitality gear so I can do a trial that night. It may or may not be paid but oh well, any opportunity that presents itself is fantastic.

The interview tomorrow is for a sales/retail job. I think with sales you either have it or you don't. I do well in interviews and I have been told I am good with customers by all my employers, I failed at those jobs due to not being a fast enough waitress on my trials when compared to the waitresses with more experience apparently; they did praise my manners and how I dealt with customers.

I have had such limited working experience but I need to sell myself; so I say that I have had experience in retail, sales and hospitality (all of which are true) but I have never held a full time job for longer than a month or two at my mature aged.

I am very low skilled for my age :(

I am hoping that my ability to deliver excellent customer service will go a long way... it is one thing I know I am good at since all my employers have told me I am very good with the customers. I have, in the past, been to mentally ill or too anorexic to hold a job although I often get through the interview process. I am also passionate about many consumer products and I think I have a good ability to not talk too much or too little about things, and provide the right balance of listening and talking.

Surely being good with customers and being really, really keen to learn will get me at least ONE job out of the HUNDREDS I am sure I am likely to apply for.....

I feel like most other adults in their late twenties can just go and apply for a few jobs, get an interview and get a job. Where as I have to probably apply for hundreds of waitress jobs just to get ONE due to my limited experience.

I know what to do in a restaurant and kitchen, I am just not the fastest waitress out there since I can only carry three plates and not five or anything too impressive.

• Author
Seems like you're doing fine since you've got a few opportunities/interviews lined up at the moment. I think that when you're a student, any job is good enough because it's not like a career path or a permanent job you'll have forever.

You might find yourself needing to give up some work once you start studying though since it's so full on.

I am equally as lucky in life as you are and I am the OPPOSIT of hard done by, but I have a huge complex where I feel so alien compared to much younger adults such as you.

You just go and get jobs and get a lot of hours without seemingly having to look hard. You just get a job and work.

Where as I was mentally AND physically ill for years in my late teens and early 20's I feel like I lack the experience to just go and be able to do a job right away upon starting it.

I just wish to be normal, go get a job and work hard at it so I have savings during university and a good reference or two plus experience in the workforce.

I have had jobs on and off during my ill years but very minimal experience in each field...

It seems so easy for people like you to just "get a job".

I'm confused here, you are no longer at the nanny job? I thought you were going to tough it out and stay the time until the husband came back. I don't want to get into the whole pay/rent thing, as it is a pointless argument.

However if you are no longer in that job, just find something you can work with that is flexible with your school. Your main objective should be finishing your degree, not seeing how many different jobs you can get.

• Like 1
  • Author
I'm confused here, you are no longer at the nanny job? I thought you were going to tough it out and stay the time until the husband came back. I don't want to get into the whole pay/rent thing, as it is a pointless argument.

However if you are no longer in that job, just find something you can work with that is flexible with your school. Your main objective should be finishing your degree, not seeing how many different jobs you can get.

I went to a national body that employ nannies. They said I was being very badly exploited, and a lot of live in nanny positions are very illegal but because some people are homeless without a room, desperate people take on those roles.

Any professional nanny industry that employs child care workers, that do not require you do have any qualifications bar some experience with children plus a reference, resume and working with children check, they ALL denounce live in nanny roles that offer well bellow minimum wage.

I was not getting minimum wage and I can do better. Plenty of retail and hospitality based roles offer minimum wage, and for that matter so do many positions working with children, although they did tell me they can only start me on 12 to 20 hours tops a week due to my limited experience.

If you think it is cool to exploit workers and pay well bellow the minimum wage in accordance with professional bodies that employ within the industry, that is your prerogative. Rent and food aside it was still well bellow minimum wage.

I don't like employers who pay so little, less than junior workers at Mcdonald's.

I had no respect for the employer so I quit. One of her children was also a brat. None of the other toddlers threw tantrums SEVERAL times a day, and frankly if I was getting minimum wage I would have dealt with it but the low pay wasn't worth dealing with such an awful child.

I stuck this job out well beyond what I felt comfortable with. I knew I was being exploited within the first week. It is my fault to begin with but again, it is immoral to pay so much bellow minimum wage.

In future, I wont work for bellow the minimum wage. You get 300 for 3 days work for a few 5 hour shifts in this country, you can do well enough earning minimum wage if you are childless and working 4 days casual or full time at minimum wage.

• Author

The professional agency I contacted about my issue demanded to know the person so they could report them as they are vehemently against people who exploit workers and make out like they are providing equivalent to minimum wage just because they give you a room plus food.

According to this industry leader, you need 300 a week PLUS a room and food INCLUDED to get he equivalent of minimum wage.

Several lesser known companies I called said the same thing!

SO PLEASE, no more " well you just quit jobs" crap. I quit because I have dignity and wont work for slave labour wages, and I believe I am worth a basic, minimum wage job.

Anyone who thinks " oh well I don't have experience so I better work illegally at well bellow minimum wage since I am not worth more at this stage" has low self worth and should do a government funded course and then go for a MINIMUM WAGE job. That simple.

I feel for immigrants and non visa holders who want work and HAVE to take these illegal jobs.

From now on I am VERY careful that all industries I apply for are professional companies that pay minimum legal wages....

• Author

---- all the jobs I have applied for are at or slightly above minimum wage----

I submit resumes for each job as well as tailor make a cover letter inserting each companies name and slightly altering a little on each cover letter.

Fingers crossed guys I desperately just want a job any job albeit LEGAL.

• Author

Guys,

There was an add on gumtree from a restaurant manager saying for 30 dollars for a full session, he will teach us how to pour wine and serve food well with 3 plus plates and also give us a wider knowledge base for coffees, food and beverages...among other skills he will teach us.

I want to confirm he is in fact a restaurant manager and will ask the restaurant he works in and then get a friend to call to confirm he works there and is the manager regarding a job, then hang up or suddenly excuse themselves.

So many people could just look the part and con people that they are genuinely a restaurant manager.

It would be a worthwhile and low cost venture to improve/refine my waitress skills if it is legit....

Don't get ahead of yourself. You don't have any actual job offers yet (at least based on what you posted above.) Just take it one step at a time. Go to the interviews, do the trials, and see if any pan out into actual job offers. Then you can decide what you can take on in conjunction with your volunteer work and school. I would once again caution you about taking on too much.

• Like 3
  • Author
Don't get ahead of yourself. You don't have any actual job offers yet (at least based on what you posted above.) Just take it one step at a time. Go to the interviews, do the trials, and see if any pan out into actual job offers. Then you can decide what you can take on in conjunction with your volunteer work and school. I would once again caution you about taking on too much.

I don't know if I will ever get any job offers before I graduate. Sadly. Although I desperate just want a minimum wage job.

I may get one in hospitality since I have a nice smile and am pleasant in terms of my personality. Even with my year or less of experience.

At least I have set positions in volunteer work, two of which I begin soon. That pertain to my degree.

Trust me I want to work extremely badly even though I don't technically have to given my flat I have free access to.

• Author

I am also applying for cleaning jobs as I was a personal trainer until 2010 and am physically fit and healthy.

I would prefer a physical job to burn calories. Some companies don't need prior cleaning experience but do need the usual references.

I was paid to clean one families house when I was their nanny last year. I left that job as they only pad me 7 dollars an hour and minimum wage for casual is about 18 here so....

• Author

I am also applying for paid traineeships that are part time only. You get paid to get a skill.

My degree is Community Development. The key being I want to help people in the community, be it the homeless, aged, youth or disabled.

So far I only volunteer for one disadvantaged child by simply reading with him and striving to improve his reading skills.

Although I am about to begin phone crisis counselling.

So I figured, older Australians and providing them with care and making their days better also fits in nicely to my college degree so when I degree I can say I have had experience with an array of community groups.

This is prob the one thing I want more than other jobs since it is a paid traineeship that also pertains to my college degree.

My degree offers for you to do 1, 2 3 or 4 subjects. I could always do 3 subjects to lighten my load and once the traineeship is over, IF I get accepted, I could go back to full time study.

Fingers crossed I am looking so hard for work, any work.

My dad is an aged carer and knows what it is all about so I am well aware it is very demanding.

several friends and family members including my own parents urged me to try out for the industry of aged care because my personality would suit the job supposedly.

Within the span of this month or two at best I have a really good feeling I will have a job by then.

Please wish me luck I really need it.

Furthermore, I start full time University, purely online, come September..I have de enrolled in the current face to face degree, and I found out that, thankfully, my high marks I received as my college entrance score will always be valid to the universities. I didn't need marks to get into the current degree since it is only an online bachelor. Alone it wont get me a job easily but with volunteer work with the phone crisis counselling, suicide prevention hotline plus the fact I started work at age 16 at McDonald's, and I have a few work based references, will likely land me a professional albeit low paid job.

I tend to think you should try to focus on jobs or opportunities that will help you get a full-time job once you get your degree, especially since you are doing your degree online rather than in person. The paid traineeship sounds good.

• Like 1
  • Author
Go back to personal training? Option?

Not the best option for a former anorexic who doesn't want anything to do with analysing food or fitness.

Can't stand the industry anyway. They charge you rent for their gyms these days before you earn enough to even cover the rent. The leading gym here even charges trainees one thousand for the privilege or working in their space. It's a crappy industry.

• Author
I tend to think you should try to focus on jobs or opportunities that will help you get a full-time job once you get your degree, especially since you are doing your degree online rather than in person. The paid traineeship sounds good.

This is the one thing I have my heart set on. The paid traineeship. In an area that'll definately get me full time professional work pertaining to my actual degree.

I'll look for more such traineeships. I applied for two today.

Exhausted from looking for work all day.

pink_sugar
I'm a bit confused, what exactly is your question?

Was about to ask the same, :laugh:.

Anyways, OP, you need to look at your long term goals and take a position that will help get you to where you want to be. To answer your question, it is VERY VERY important to try and get experience before graduating with your degree. You will be a lot more marketable and not lumped in with the rest of the grads with minimal experience. So far, sales, hospitality and retail mean you are experienced in customer service. So you can sell yourself in that area. It doesn't matter if you worked at a grocer or coffee shop...it's all customer service. Hope that answers your question.

• Like 1
MidwestUSA

I would simply warn you to be careful of #1. That 'proper salary' is surely commissioned. If it wasn't, everyone would do it without regards to results.

"

It is customer service/sales jobwhich may be crappy but at least it is a proper salary unlike the bellow minimum wage jobs that try to exploit you."

• Like 1
pink_sugar
I am equally as lucky in life as you are and I am the OPPOSIT of hard done by, but I have a huge complex where I feel so alien compared to much younger adults such as you.

You just go and get jobs and get a lot of hours without seemingly having to look hard. You just get a job and work.

Where as I was mentally AND physically ill for years in my late teens and early 20's I feel like I lack the experience to just go and be able to do a job right away upon starting it.

I just wish to be normal, go get a job and work hard at it so I have savings during university and a good reference or two plus experience in the workforce.

I have had jobs on and off during my ill years but very minimal experience in each field...

It seems so easy for people like you to just "get a job".

My husband got a late start experience wise as well...however he did not interview well, so it was even more of an issue. However, if you interview well, you have a huge advantage over other people who don't. So do your best to be positive. When you find something try and do it long term to show stability.

Eternal Sunshine

Why did you de enrol from your face to face course?

I think you need to be more focused rather than your mind racing million miles a minute. You may actually be doing yourself a favor if you did LESS job search and waited for an opportunity that will help you in your chosen career. It seems like pretty much all of these ideas fall through without ever even happening. I thought you are going to walk dogs at an animal shelter?

• Like 7