Is what I did wrong towards my co-worker? I feel guilty.

acapelo_dp

So, I work at a halfway house and monitor inmates who are currently on day parole. I am a caseworker and refer them to resources in the community and do some minor counselling as well.

I have noticed a lot of drama since I began working there between co-workers. Particularly one employee who has worked there 15 years. She is about 60 years old. She will talk about her personal life quite often, and talk behind everyones back making me uncomfortable even about our boss. She also interferes with everyone else's work and criticizes them if they make a mistake or does something she doesn't think is right. I have been on a shift rotation with her for the last three months and it was driving me up the wall. Normally I am a very meek, quiet individual who listens but I don't get involved in that nonesense.

Anyways, this past week this particular co-worker (I will call her Rebecca) and I had a training class together. She told me she wanted to tell me a secret, and said that while our boss was gone from his desk she looked through his black book (where he writes all his personal notes and meetings with staff members to check up on them each month) and said she saw something written about her, and said she saw my name written above it. It was like she was trying to get me to tell her I said something about her. Which I did, but it was between my boss and I as he asks everyone how is it going with your staff members?

It made me uncomfortable. So I brought it up to my boss a few days ago because not only did she invade his privacy but mine as well. Anyways, she was brought next door and I believe she was suspended from work for a week without pay. This is not the first time she has been in trouble for these things at work (so I am told). But I feel pretty horribly that was the outcome of it all. And, she will know it was me who said something because I am the only one she told.

Do you think what I did was wrong, should I have kept it to myself? Or did I do the right thing by telling? I feel pretty horrible right now.

OP'S Question:

Of course, you did the right thing. This woman could have see a private profile of an inmate for all you know, as well. It was your moral responsibility and obligation to let your boss realize that Rebecca is accessing materials on his desk.

The center could be held liable or even sued if Rebecca had exposed any private data, or lack of security was known to be breeched. You saved you boss' azz - and gave him some important things to think about in the future. Good for you. Yas

PS However - I do not agree that the Boss is handling Rebecca transgression appropriately. This woman should have been dismissed immediately. Acaeplo -IMO - you should not be subjected to having to deal with her again after this drama. She dug her own grave. I recommend you have a VAR anytime she approaches you -I suspect she's coming with retaliation of some sort. But, bear in mind - I am always one to play it safe.

Further Analysis:

Really, the woman should have been fired outright, come on! She is in Boss' office reading his private personnel book? Then "speculating" from said book to another employee mentioned in the citation (that was not her business to read nor interpret) - taking the employee completely off guard? Then, subsequently, in an effort to proffer a modicum of collegiality, under extreme pressure I would imagine, the employee is forced to admit he DID make a complaint, and tells Rebecca the complete truth.

So Rebecca gets a one week vacation, unpaid. This is the punishment for this egregious conduct at an institution, where privacy is a critical dimension of operations, (the half-way house serves inmates on day parole, and provides counselling to minors).

Our OP felt guilty, for turning the snooper into the Boss. Why?

What is wrong with this picture?

1. I suspect there is a reason Boss has not disappeared this chick. My guess is your boss has some concerns or fears about what she may have seen during her snooping adventure(s).

2. Perhaps Rebecca is retaliating in some way, shape or form. She is older, wiser, and could conjure up something to cover her azz, for the initial complaint. That could be the reason she was in the office looking at the book in the first place. Therefore - her possible "retaliation plan" may have been in play sometime before she actually saw the entry (that she evidently suspected and went looking for in the right place).

But then -- I am a very suspitious, and paranoid person.

ALL I WANT TO KNOW IS WHY SHE WAS NOT FIRED FOR CASING THE BOSS' PERSONAL BOOK? TELL ME, SOMEONE?

• Author
acapelo_dp

Thanks for the reply. I don't know if she was officially fired or not, she had the meeting next door with out executive director and then she got her things and left the office immediately. However, my boss said "for the next week you will be covering some of her caseload" etc. But he said for the next WEEK. So I don't think she was fired.

I think it is very hard to fire someone in that place. They rarely fire anyone I have heard. Basically I think it is because she has worked there for so many years. But that doesn't mean anything.

I am definitely requesting not to be put on shift with her in the future. I will hope they accommodate me and understand that.

You did the right thing. She sounds like a troublemaker trying to intimidate people into things by showing her inside knowledge or whatever. She shouldn't be snooping and what she was thinking telling you about it, she got what she had coming.

jellybean89

You did the right thing.

In the future, I would suggest if she starts a conversation with you about someone else (as in gossip) or wants to tell you a secret... I would immediately stop her and let her know you are there to work and you do not want to engage in office gossip. You can do this and remain professional. Her behavior is totally unprofessional.