Tips for doing well at your job

Eternal Sunshine

Just thought I would put together my list and others can add their own tips. In random order:

1. Do more than what they ask of you. Just performing your assigned duties is adequate. It's like doing the bare minimum not to get fired. In the spare time at work (and we all have some), find ways in which you can improve functioning and efficiency of the department. It can be ideas for collaboration, a new project, automating processes by writing a program etc.

2. Don't get involved in office gossip and drama. When others gossip, say nothing or change the topic. Never speak badly about anyone - I can gurantee you that it will come back to haunt you.

3. Take criticism in good faith. Don't think automatically that your boss has it in for you. Take their words at face value and think of the ways in which you can correct the problem.

4. Speak up but always argue in a fact based and an emotionally detached way.

5. Learn to say no. Don't be a pushover. If your bosses demand too much of your time and energy or ask you to do things that are for their own personal benefit, stand up for yourself. If you are unlucky enough to be in a bad situation of being exploited, the sooner you leave the better.

6. Don't become BFFs with your boss, no matter how nice they seem.

I may think of more later :laugh:

• Like 1

Only one rule.

FULLY understand your supervisor, what they need, how they want things done, and how they want to be communicated to, as well as the company expectations, and execute.

• Like 4