dog walking as a way to make extra cash?

Someone mentioned dog walking as a means to make some extra cash?

Is this for real?

I live in a wealthy area where for people to live here, they can very well afford to hire a personal dog walker.

I work full time 5 days a week and hhalf of Saturday every second week. I still have plenty of time to study full time come September when I resume my degree. I don't, however, want any more work on top of my full time job as i am already saving over 200 a week.

Occasional event work Iis still on the cards in the nearby stadium which of goes on once every month or two.

And now I am thinking about dof walking twice a week just for an hour or so, because I love dogs and I am looking to lose weight and walk a lot more.

Does anyone know any friends or family that get paid to walk people's dogs?

Is the work easy to find?

Lernaean_Hydra

In my experience, the only time dog walkers really make any money (outside of it being a quirky career choice for the heroine in rom-coms) is when they live in or serve an upscale, major metropolitan area with lots of working professionals who work long hours and are in desperate need for someone to take little Mimsy out of a twice daily turn about the neighborhood.

Unless dog walking is being offered as part of a larger package that includes some sort of grooming and or kennel/housing services, it's really not a very lucrative endeavor. Most people can manage to walk their own dogs in the mornings and after work and in fact enjoy doing so.

It sounds good in theory and even in movies but like babysitting, unless you have a built in network of clients already in desperate need, you won't really have much luck, especially as an adult woman.

• Like 1
  • Author

I am close to people who are earning millions.

Do you really doubt that there will not be many wealthy people who need their dogs walked due to working long hours?

I have posted an add on gumtree.

Here's hoping some rich folks need their dogs wwalked and have no time to do it themselves!

MuddyFootprints

A post recently crossed my Facebook page from a dog trainer who also offers a walking service. They were looking for walkers. They needed the applicants to be available mon-fri 8-4 and alternating Saturdays. A vehicle was also a requirement.

It's a wonderful idea! But, if you've only got two hours a week to spare doing it, is it really going to add to your savings goal? As opposed to dedicated shifts at the patisserie or a cafe.

If you're just looking for a little extra to spend, and it helps you get out walking, go for it! Are you thinking of doing it in the afternoons before you pick the kids up? If so, and you find someone close by, it's a good use of your downtime.

Don't forget you'll have to pick up their poop if they produce. ;)

• Like 4

Around here people put up signs around in the neighborhood offering dog walking services. You might try that.

What are the demographics in your area? I actually think you might have better luck in neighborhoods with younger, single working professionals. These are the people who may be working longer hours and need help with a dog. A lot of people here do doggy daycare, believe it or not! The millionaires tend to be more established families, where there may already be a person home during the day to care for the dog -- i.e. nanny, housekeeper, SAHM, etc. Actually, a useful service would be a more emergency type service, where you can take the dog out if someone needs to work late or has to travel for business. But I'm not sure if that would fit your schedule.

• Like 1
  • Author

I no longer work weekends.

I want to walk more or do a high energy job that requires say, walking or playing for dogs. It would honestly be a joy to do, and even an extra 20 a week put into savings is way better than nothing.

I have a great reference who would tell employers (albeit prospective...) how great I am with dogs ( I was around him and his dog was around mostly), and yes he would lie and say I did take care of it but I don't care about white lies, you NEED to feign experience since no one gives you half a chance if you have no experience.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
  • Author

I could quiet honestly find another nanny role that pays me twice as much according to people my dad spoke with.

I can't be bothered for now though and with 2;5 years of a degree left I will focus all my extra energy on that come September.

Dog walking and weekend dog minding is just something I would really love to do, I will be surprised if I just get work doing something I love very readily.

My mum is going to print out flyers for me at her school in which she works, they have professional flyer machine things.... that make flyers.

Flyers advertising my dog minding services and fees (Which are of course negotiable). I seem to get along well with dogs better than people, being an introverted type and all....

I have nothing to lose through handing out flyers in letter boxes in affluent areas I think are a target market for this sort of a service.

I mean, any effort to earn more money is better than NOT doing anything at all.

EvelyneConnor

It won't be very lucrative at first, since building up a client base takes time, but with a few months of determined, purposeful networking and advertising, you should be able to get some good, regular clients.

Especially if you're a *good* dog walker - that is, you come back with the dogs, don't let them get into fights with other dogs, and so on. Insurance is smth you should think about if you go serious - who is going to pay up if little Minny gets mauled by another big dog, or you let go of the leash and she runs into traffic?

Devil is in the details.

• Like 2

BTW - to those familiar with my other thread about working, my dad has talked to several people and they ALL think I am getting paid half as much as other au pairs in the area.. they all get 200 PLUS a week PLUS rent and board.

The family is nice enough but they don't realise how much I do for the money they provide.

Honestly I think you are just repeating the same mistake. You are no longer working weekends, but you are now again looking for work on the weekends, when you were already stressed about not having time for your bf or family.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
  • Like 3

Let's not rehash the thread starters other thread in this one please, the topic is about Dog Walking, please post to that topic, thanks

Edited by Robert

Well seeing as you tend to jump into situations unprepaired OP, I'd find some dogwalkers first and ask them how much they earn a week, the number of hours ,e tc.

I've seen some, usually with at least 4 or 5 dogs at the same time and that looked like a right pain in the ass. They shlt everywhere and you have to pick those up in little plastic bags. They pull in different directions, etc. Good luck with that.

• Like 3
  • Author

I am very protective of dogs.... I am overly careful.

My good friend has agreed to give me a reference if need me as we walked his dog a lot together and he knows how I am with dogs..... I am very much a crazy dog woman.

I stop when I see dogs on the street and ask to take pictures with them..that is how much I love dogs.

When my friends see new dog pictures they comment " what a shock to see Leigh with another dog"

When I am with my bf and he sees a dog nearby he tries to steer me away at times lol and he says " Leigh 87, next time, not now we are in a hurry"

I am going to make professional looking leaflets and distribute in wealthy suburbs and see how it goes the rest of the year. You never know, with a good reference and professional looking flyers and my winning smile (lets face it, nice teeth look great on flyers), I may get some phone calls.

This is just something I am going to try to do; not a temporary thing, but rather something I hope to be able to do every now and then for good, after all it is good to have more than one means of making money right?

• Author
Well seeing as you tend to jump into situations unprepaired OP, I'd find some dogwalkers first and ask them how much they earn a week, the number of hours ,e tc.

I've seen some, usually with at least 4 or 5 dogs at the same time and that looked like a right pain in the ass. They shlt everywhere and you have to pick those up in little plastic bags. They pull in different directions, etc. Good luck with that.

Yes I am aware of that.

I have walked large dogs. I had a friend with a staffy and a pitbull and a pitbull cross we would take on walks together at the same time.

I had 4 small, bitey dogs (to strangers not to me and my ex) I walked regularly.

I know very well what a pain in the @ss dogs can be but I cannot imagine not loving every dog I come across to pieces.

I doubt an owner would be stupid enough to get a person to walk their dog if it was a very dangerous dog....

Lernaean_Hydra
Some of those super wealthy people also want references and don't just respond to random ads.

This is the thing that a lot of people seem to ignore when it comes to services like these. People with money aren't trawling through Craigslist and want ads looking for house-sitters, babysitters, dog walkers, etc. It's 2014, the modern age...age of the internet and access to a vast network of recommendations and references within minutes. Unless you have a report or a name for yourself, endeavors like those are virtually useless.

People with money aren't as foolish as some may think they are and they also are prone to treating their pets like children. They'll not be likely to leave them in the company of strangers posting ads on telephone poles.

• Like 2
  • Author
This is the thing that a lot of people seem to ignore when it comes to services like these. People with money aren't trawling through Craigslist and want ads looking for house-sitters, babysitters, dog walkers, etc. It's 2014, the modern age...age of the internet and access to a vast network of recommendations and references within minutes. Unless you have a report or a name for yourself, endeavors like those are virtually useless.

People with money aren't as foolish as some may think they are and they also are prone to treating their pets like children. They'll not be likely to leave them in the company of strangers posting ads on telephone poles.

Well if I make a professional looking flyer and I have one good referee (my friend has landed me jobs, where the managers even called me to tell me I had a great reference...) you never know my luck.

It isn't a big deal. It wont take long to make an attractive flyer as I am artistic and good with colours and decorating, etc.

It'll take all of an hour to do and another hour or so to disperse around the area. Just a couple of hours of my time.

I think there is no harm in at least creating opportunities for yourself even if they don't work out, trying to do the small things like this does pay off for the lucky few, I may as well try it.

I present well and I have talked to a lot of wealthy people and I think I fit in alright with that crowd when it comes to talking to them and relating to them (since mums side is wealthy living in the most pricey areas of Sydney). They are no different to me really when it comes down to it. They are just people too. I definitely don't come off too "blue collar" or anything that would put them off.

• Author

It is a numbers game.

If you create an opportunity for yourself, there is always a chance someone will bite.

If a family that can afford dog minding/walking are going out of town on a whim or there is an emergency of sorts, perhaps they will see my flyer and think " okay that looks professional and the girl looks nice, what cute pics of her and the dogs, I will give her a call since we are desperate for someone THIS weekend"

Rather than look for more options, a family that is desperate NOW will, maybe, take the first option, give me a call and if I sound nice enough some people would take the fastest option that looks attractive enough to them at the time).

It is just down to chance. If my flyer falls into the right hands at the right time I will have one client. If they like me and my services I could have more clients.

I could take a year just to get one client. Maybe a young professional man wanting to get away but not sure about his dog - perhaps he hasn't sought out dog minding services before and he sees me attractive flyer and thinks " well it is cheaper than a kennel!"

As I said, if you are hardworking you will create even the most simple sounding opportunity for yourself and you never know you luck.

I don't expect to get lucky but you just never know, I feel good about myself for at least trying to create opportunities for myself opposed to accepting full time study is imminent and hey I should just do nothing to save more money.

I save 200 as week as is without really trying at all and I could save 100 more if I wanted. I am not in dire straights. I just had a pretty basic idea and I don't mind spending time on something that one day may yield results, if not in the first few months.

• Author

My friends and family would all think it was hilarious if say, in some alternative universe, I actually get a few clients in a years time from now (if I am lucky).

Anyone who knows me would laugh and say " HAHA, that would be right"

I am known as the crazy dog lady among friends and family so it would be funny if in a years time from now after the flyers are distributed I actually got a call and got some clients.

People often marvel at how much I love dogs:) It is a strong point of my personality those who know me, all know about and think of first when they associate me with "something"

I can cat mind too actually, I should also include that since I love cats now. I was always a dog person but have since got a kitten due to the flat I resided in (not aloud dogs.....).

LOL I know this is all a long shot and I don't expect to get any clients but I am going to at least try because I believe in creating as many opportunities for yourself as possible.

todreaminblue

No it isnt easy to find jobs as a dog walker........dogs are easy to find though.....they roam the streets often and they end up coming to my place and then i spend money trying to find their homes........what you will find though is stiff competition from kids who charge next to nothing who arent eligible to gain employment as they are too young and they do it more for the enjoyment and having a first job...yes my girls have done this dog walking for five dollars a pop ...most people get dogs under the provisor they need to be walked......"blue collar" workers are more likely to employ you than richies......i was surrendered two pure bred collies by two very kewt blue collar workers(the smiles on those guys.....lol) who didnt have enough time for their dogs and felt guilty......those dogs kept houdining to come and stay with us so they surrendered them to me......

i would suggest if you are going to do this talk to your local pound and put up flyers there...and handouts of a professional looking card...as part of the welcome dog pack you get picking up a new dog or paperwork you get retrieving an escapee or lost dog..........as dogs who escape are often the dogs who need to be walked and most of pound dogs are actually escapees and strays and or lost dogs..... so with a flyer up when they come to pick up their houdini you might have a chance of walking that dog....word it well.....its better than paying release fees ......and t saves them time effort worry and money and the dog might not escape so much if it isnt bored and end up on my doorstep or the pound doorstep..its 200 dollars straight up to retrieve an escapee and then there are fines from the council so yeah worth a go..words like....SICK OF PAYING RELEASE FEES AND COUNCIL FINES LET ME WALK YOUR DOG FOR YOU SOME TIME..

Edited by todreaminblue

I doubt an owner would be stupid enough to get a person to walk their dog if it was a very dangerous dog....

Are you serious? You know how many stupid people there are in the world? I wasn't implying dangerous though.

• Like 3
  • Author
Are you serious? You know how many stupid people there are in the world? I wasn't implying dangerous though.

Well it would be a new level of stupid if an owner very well knew they had a dangerous dog and then hired a person to look after it/walk it.

I had a small dog or two with my ex who bit others besides us and people they were familiar with but they couldn't really mall you or do much damage.......

But a large dog that the owners knows can bite and become aggressive would be an outright moron if they actually asked a stranger to walk it.

Most people I know who own such a large dog that tends to bite walk them themselves and with one of those things that covers the dogs teeth....

The rich families I know who get help with their dogs, enlist the services of a professional company. The less rich would either trade with their friends/relatives, or enlist the services of the neighbourhood kid for very cheap.

Well, it doesn't hurt to try your luck I suppose, but when are you going to see your bf and family if your weekends are busy again? It's unlikely that all these families will be wanting their dogs walked at the exact same time, so you'll probably be working throughout the day if you want any sort of significant income (if you get clients). Also you are very unlikely to be paid as much as the professional companies (who tend to offer packages).

I see no harm in putting in effort, but I suspect you are underestimating the effort needed and overestimating the pay... again.

Edited by Elswyth
  • Like 1

I think you need to do some checking out first as whether this could work

• are there already plenty of dog walkers in the area?
  • do you need to be insured? It is a legal requirement in the UK for dog walkers to be insured in case the pet in your care injures someone or damages property etc.
  • Will someone trust you - a stranger - to come into their house to walk their pet whilst they are out of work?
  • Many, including me, would want to go through a company or use someone who has been recommended by word of mouth.
  • I would also feel very iffy about someone who has just dropped a flyer through my door and only has a mobile number (i.e. no landline which would give some indication of permament location)
  • are there any local parks you can get to without a car?
  • have you really got the time and capacity to take on more commitments?