Hey y'all how are ya doing??

What do y'all think of having coworkers on facebook?

I have seen this work out ok...but I have also seen it blow up in another person's face. One example is that a friend posted a picture on facebook of her walking her dog or something to that effect...and a coworker on her facebook took it to management because she had been off with a back injury.

What do y'all think? xx

It depends. I would never have a boss & have refused friend requests from my subordinates. After I click no, I speak to them in the work place & explain why. I have softened with I'd love to see your vacation pictures but do us both a favor, pull up your account & turn your screen to show me. Let's not mix business & personal beyond that.

Eternal Sunshine

Never did it at my old work place but at my new one everybody is best friends so they all add each other, including the boss. It would have been weird for me to refuse it. I do have a limited access "co-worker" group so they will not see anything too personal.

I have three "former" co workers who waited til after our business employment changed . With the laws the way they are favoring employers being granted access to your social media stuff, I am mindful of what can be thrown into the fires. Protect your image and your status.

• Like 1

It's one reason I don't have Facebook. I don't want to deal with saying no to letting coworkers and bosses into my private world.

Coworkers are fine...never had any issues. You can easily control who sees what on facebook these days. I'm always against bosses on facebook though. Save supervisors for LinkedIn.

Edited by pink_sugar
Michelle ma Belle

As a rule, I would never initiate friendship with co-workers myself on Facebook or any other social media outlet. I just don't see the point in it. Having said that, it's even more uncomfortable to decline one.

If they reach out to me, I will reluctantly accept it but make a point of customizing the connection so that all my posts, comments, pics etc. do NOT show up on their feed. Of course if they go poking around on my wall they might see what they've been missing but I am always careful about posting stuff publicly regardless of who I have as friends.

I have some friends who decided on having two FB profiles; one that is personal and one that is work related. Personally, I find that to be far too much work :p

I would feel weird saying no. I never post anything on my page really except pics of my son for family so there isn't much to see. I also take full advantage of my privacy settings and list options so I can post things for just family or for close friends if I chose, though I never do.

Eternal Sunshine
Coworkers are fine, management not a chance.

So a boss friend requests you on FB and you say no??

Because that happened to me :S

I would say it depends. Coworkers that I know well are ok but not so well known or the shady people is a big no. And definitely no management

Eternal Sunshine
I would say it depends. Coworkers that I know well are ok but not so well known or the shady people is a big no. And definitely no management

Sigh. I am screwed :(

So a boss friend requests you on FB and you say no??

Because that happened to me :S

Just ignore it. I friend requested a supervisor awhile back and he never added me. I never asked why as that would be awkward.

I work in show business, so it's fairly different, but yeah, I add all sorts. I have directors, producers, designers, fellow techies and actors from all my jobs (not *everyone* from *every* job, but a handful from each).

Never had any problems. I'm really careful about what I post of FB though, and never ever bitch about work there. As for photos, I don't take many myself, and have a privacy setting where if I'm tagged in a photo it doesn't show up on people's timelines and you can only see it on my profile if you're friends with the person who posted said photo.

My parents probably think there are no "photos of me" on FB. They can only see the ones I've posted.

I have found this is a good compromise. My line of work has a big drinking culture, so having drunken pics is not necessarily a bad thing, but I prefer people to only see the drunken photos they already *know* exist (because they were there or are friends with whomever took the pictures), and not EVERY drunken pic there is of me.